PDA

View Full Version : Steven Holst "Kay Style"

Lorenzo LaRue
May-31-2015, 10:31am
I received this wonderful mando about tree weeks ago. Just an amazing machine, perfect for the music I play, Swing and Gypsy Jazz! The tonal range and nuance is fantastic.
It is X braced and is two inches thick which seems to give more tone and by adding thickness preserves the volume. Mind you this thing is still new and already has miles of richness and did I say it has some punch when needed.
Fit and finish are rare. The woods are Quilted Maple back and ribs, Adirondack Spruce top, Koa bindings and headstock (both sides) along with ebony finished in thin varnish. Custom ebony tail piece and pick guard with yin/yang and heart inlays.
Steve, you really made this old boy happy with your excellent work!:grin:

Tavy
May-31-2015, 10:45am
I love Kay styled mandolins and that one's a cracker!

Dale Ludewig
May-31-2015, 11:20am
Beautiful.

GaryTimmons
May-31-2015, 2:42pm
That is just way gorgeous. I've been wanting to build a more modern version of a kay. I still have a few others to finish first. Would you be so kind to tell me what the scale length is.

Thanks ---Gary

John Soper
May-31-2015, 3:28pm
Looks wonderful - post a sound clip?

Lorenzo LaRue
May-31-2015, 3:37pm
That is just way gorgeous. I've been wanting to build a more modern version of a kay. I still have a few others to finish first. Would you be so kind to tell me what the scale length is.

Thanks ---Gary

It is the standard 13 15/16" - 14". A few things I didn't mention are the Alessi tuners with MOP buttons (gorgeous!), which are tight, but oh so accurate and the K and K twin internal pickup system with 'out the tail' plug-in. It amps quite nicely with an L.R. Baggs Venue pre-amp and a Fishman Mini Loudbox amp.

Mandoborg
May-31-2015, 3:55pm
That's Perfect in every detail !!....

foldedpath
May-31-2015, 11:22pm
Gorgeous mandolin, congratulations!

I have two of Steve's instruments -- a nylon string guitar, and a semihollow archtop electric (still the featured photo on that page of his web site, I think -- the dark red sunburst with the hex pickups at the saddle).

He's a master craftsman. It was a pleasure working with him on those two guitars, and I'll gladly recommend him to anyone who wants something a little off the beaten path, for either guitars or mandolins.

Steve Sorensen
May-31-2015, 11:33pm
A lot to like in the design and execution. Nice!

Steve

trevor
Jun-01-2015, 2:55am
Fantastic! I love it.

Skip Kelley
Jun-01-2015, 6:48am
Congratulations! That is one cool looking mandolin!

Spruce
Jun-01-2015, 8:03am
Nice!!

JEStanek
Jun-01-2015, 8:12am
Very nice! Congrats!

Jamie

Jeff Hildreth
Jun-01-2015, 8:42am
Excellent.

I am curious about the top and back, carved? pressed arch, braced arch ?

Bill Baldridge
Jun-01-2015, 8:52am
She's sure a beauty.

Lorenzo LaRue
Jun-01-2015, 9:19am
Excellent.

I am curious about the top and back, carved? pressed arch, braced arch ?

Both top and back are carved, top is X braced, and such excellent rich tones (and not even played in yet) !

LongBlackVeil
Jun-01-2015, 9:34am
Wow! I absolutely love that! Didn't realize how cool that Kay shape was until now that I see it in such a fine presentation.

I'm not just making an obligatory new mando day post, that is really fantastic!

SBrady
Jun-01-2015, 10:02am
Hey, Lorenzo. I have the other Holst-Kay. Just got it about a week ago. Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next couple of days to post some pictures of your mandolin's counterpart. Congrats on the new mando!

Grommet
Jun-02-2015, 3:11am
Always a treat to see another of Steven's creations!

Scott

Nashville
Jun-02-2015, 7:02am
Beautiful work of art. That is one of the nicest designs I've seen. If it sounds and plays as good as it looks then you are a winner!

MandoJason
Jun-02-2015, 9:27am
wonderful looking mandolin! i hope you enjoy it....love to hear a clip if you get around to it....beautiful!
jason

GarY Nava
Jun-02-2015, 11:09am
Very nice work- great to see this shape.
Cheers Gary

usqebach
Jun-02-2015, 11:30am
Wow, that thing is pretty enough to make me want to learn a minor 7th chord!