PDA

View Full Version : protecting gold tailpiece cover

Buffalo Sam
May-29-2015, 2:54pm
Just got my new Muth mandolin [Larry Muth, Regina, Sask, Canada] and it's got a gold James tailpiece. Since I've worn all the nickel off my Apitius tailpiece in 23 years of playing it I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas of a clear overlay I should use to protect the gold [which is even softer than nickel]. I just want to protect it with something that looks like it's not there. The cover is engraved MUTH and has some engraved embossing around the edge. Any suggestions?

lenf12
May-29-2015, 3:21pm
How about some clear lacquer spray? Couple of coats should protect it pretty well.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Tommcgtx
May-29-2015, 3:32pm
How about an armrest?

Bill Baldridge
May-29-2015, 3:59pm
How about wearing out another tailpiece and being proud of it?

Tobin
May-29-2015, 4:32pm
I can flat wear the plating off of just about any nickel or silver plated item. Jewelry, door knobs, basically anything my hands come into contact with.

But for some reason, my gold-plated James tailpiece cover still looks as good as new after almost 2 years. So it may not be a problem for you.

MysTiK PiKn
May-29-2015, 5:04pm
As above lenf12 - socalled "metal lacquer".

It's not often I see the word "Apitius". First of those I saw in Elderly. There was a gibson beside it. Played both for a couple minutes - really loved the Apitius. That was the first real mando I ever played. I had an idea of how a great mando should sound, and there it was. Both mandos were used and priced about 8-9. I later discovered that the Apitius was made in Ontario, forget where, somewhere near Chatham, ON. That was a surprise. Apitius is on the "dream list". There was one on the classifieds recently here.
I've never heard of "Muth". more info? pix?
James Tailpiece. They popped up as being very good TP's and they offer easy adjustment for bridge alignment. Some others don't offer that. Misaligned can cause stressing and lil screws popout on endblock. I found a manual for the James TP on Siminoff site. It's not only gold, it's a good tp. and they aren't cheap.

Hudmister
May-29-2015, 7:07pm
How about wearing out another tailpiece and being proud of it?

I've got to agree with this. It's not a museum piece, it's a mandolin tail piece. Show it off with pride and see if you can put a little wear on it.

Kadmos
May-29-2015, 7:19pm
Renaissance Wax

almeriastrings
May-29-2015, 11:52pm
I have found the same as Tobin. The (satin) gold plate on my Ellis's James tailpiece is showing no signs of wear at all. By contrast, the gold plating on my 3-year-old Gibson Fern's tailpiece is showing a lot of wear.... and thinning... I suspect the James are plated much thicker than many others, as they seem to last/wear incredibly well. I'd leave it alone.

Ivan Kelsall
May-30-2015, 1:49am
I understand the OP's question,but how is this happening ?. My 7 year old Weber t/piece & my 14 year old Lebeda t/piece ( i've had it for 8 years) show absolutely no signs of wear. My right hand isn't anywhere near the t/piece when i'm playing. It's anchored just behind the bridge,well away from the t/piece. The Silver plated t/piece on my Ellis is still like new after the original owner had it for 4 years.
To answer the OP's question - i'd use a piece of fairly thick 'cling film' of the type used to protect metal sheet. Cut a piece to shape,then it'll simply stick to the t/piece without any adhesive etc.being required. http://poli-film.co.uk/products/ It's this type of stuff i'm refering to,
Ivan

Lord of the Badgers
May-30-2015, 7:04am
Yeah, mine's been thru a year of many gigs mostly in busy sweaty bars - i've dinged the front a little, i've taken some finish off the side of the headstock, but this remains pristine
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p552x414/1960015_700984473257404_1341234938_n.jpg?oh=95d660 28610767b908b0e48aaa6d9b00&oe=55ECDB38

not so the gold strap buttons (and the strapnut that I found that's gold too)... they've all worn a bit on the business edges...

stevedenver
May-30-2015, 9:12am
Yeah, mine's been thru a year of many gigs mostly in busy sweaty bars - i've dinged the front a little, i've taken some finish off the side of the headstock, but this remains pristine
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p552x414/1960015_700984473257404_1341234938_n.jpg?oh=95d660 28610767b908b0e48aaa6d9b00&oe=55ECDB38

not so the gold strap buttons (and the strapnut that I found that's gold too)... they've all worn a bit on the business edges...

what a beautiful tp!
let us please see the rest of the mandolin ....please......

GWR...Great Western Rwy?......if so,
very cool, subtle, personal,
....trains are a passion of mine as well,
fitting for the green and gold...l

as for gold tp wear, my gibby, ellis and brentrup all are wear free--I don't seem to make contact at all
the Rigel came to me used with its tp a bit worn, half gold half silvered...

dan in va
May-30-2015, 10:19am
The amount and quality of plating is all over the place. ODE style D banjo plating can be the worst. Gold plating is typically applied onto nickel plating, and being soft can easily wear off. i happen to like the look of bronze patina, so i've switched most tailpieces to these. Yes, they do eventually become a brownish color, but this goes along well enough with gold tuners that i like the look much more than the alternative issue you're describing. James and Allen can be had unplated. And while i'm not a James fan, they are very well made/designed and the gold plating does seem to last well. My favorite is hands down an unplated Hamlett. Plating can also be removed.

Isn't it amazing how well the old Gibson pineapple tailpieces stand the test of time?

Hope a good solution comes your way.

stevedenver
May-30-2015, 1:42pm
never seen a gold Gibson pineapple.....only chrome or nickle

Buck
May-30-2015, 10:10pm
I understand the OP's question,but how is this happening ?. My 7 year old Weber t/piece & my 14 year old Lebeda t/piece ( i've had it for 8 years) show absolutely no signs of wear. My right hand isn't anywhere near the t/piece when i'm playing.It's the forearm...if you hold the mandolin like Monroe, Duffy, or many others.

http://www.bluegrasstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/John_81.jpg

Bill Clements
May-30-2015, 10:38pm
i predict your James TP will hold up just fine.
Consider an armrest by Doug Edwards (McClung) that extends over the TP, but one of his stock ones might do the trick.
Congrats on the new mandolin.
Badger, your TP is stunning.

Ivan Kelsall
May-31-2015, 2:09am
Hi Buck - If i held my mandolin like JD,i'd stick to it for ever !. I always play either in a long sleeved shirt,or i use a tennis player's type sweat band to keep my skin off the top/side. My perspiration isn't acid enough to harm the mandolin,it simply feels very uncomfortable having moisture under my arm.
I noticed while watching this YT clip the other day,that John Reischman holds his mandolin as per JD - https://youtu.be/Ta3O_Q78zDA JR's one of my favourite players & i've cribbed a lot of technique of his from YT clips,but that's one facet i'll avoid like the plague,however, it does explain the OP's complain - many thanks,:)
Ivan;)

mandroid
May-31-2015, 7:51am
I epoxied a piece of Ebony on the cover of my Gold James Tailpiece..
Obviously not Clear, though..

You could epoxy on a clear piece of acrylic, as long as the bubbles
all get pressed out the Epoxy will be clear too.

I used Epoxy to attach mineral samples to Microscope slides
for close analysis.. in the Geology department at University.

lenf12
May-31-2015, 9:04am
A couple of shots of the TP on my '56 F-12, one from 2004 and as it appears today. Very thin plating on an obviously non-original TP.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Buck
May-31-2015, 10:15am
Ivan, you are most welcome. I always enjoy your posts and I'm happy to give back a little.

Lots of players such as Monroe, Duffy, Lou Reed, Ronnie McCoury, (and me), play with the arm over at least a portion of the tail piece. If you wear the mandolin high, that's where your arm hits. Reichman wears his a little lower, but also keeps the headstock kind of low.

All that said, I wouldn't do anything to protect a tailpiece. I'm a minimalist in that regard. I don't like the feel of armrests or Tone Guards either. If I was worried about damaging a high condition vintage tailpiece, I'd just install a modern cover on and put the original away for safe keeping.

Reichman

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ksor/files/styles/medium/public/201409/John_Reischman_1.jpg

Me

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq101/vtyates/Garden2.jpg

If you wear it lower like Ron Thomason, your forearm is nowhere near the tail piece. RT often uses a sweatband or armsock though.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SSulNT3gEBw/SWS3W3mz0pI/AAAAAAAAO10/v8qmoO8EEU4/s400/Ron+Thomason.JPG

Lord of the Badgers
May-31-2015, 2:07pm
double post... sorry!

Lord of the Badgers
May-31-2015, 2:09pm
Badger, your TP is stunning.

thanks Bill. Engraved by a gun engraver from Birmingham (UK) - it's an ode to my Father who has a beautifully engraved double-barrelled gun that he can no longer shoot due to his advancing years. The GWR bit.. that's just for me :)

Yes Steve Denver - it is indeed Great Western Railway :) the headstock has an inlaid badger and pawprints down the fretboard...

mandroid
Jun-01-2015, 10:07am
Evan Marshall played a Gig here last night , he just wraps something over the tailpiece ,
Of His Gil .. not a fancy , but a Practical approach . ..
http://www.solomandolin.com/

Joey Anchors
Jun-01-2015, 12:38pm

What tail piece is this?!