PDA

View Full Version : My first festival experience

Ron Cox
May-29-2015, 8:34am
Wow, all I can say is WOW.

I went to my first Bluegrass festival this past weekend, and I'm still on a high from it. Jamming areas were set up in only two places, but everyone was so friendly and helpful. I don't know much bluegrass by heart as I primarily hack my way through Irish tunes.

Brought my Eastman 814 (which is a bit too quiet lately) and my Saga/Kentucky KM-100 pancake style. She's not super beautiful, or noteworthy, but she can be heard over most banjos and the setup that I received on her 25 years ago has made her ultra playable, but I digress.

Chantilly Farms Bluegrass Festival just celebrated it's 5th year and had acts like the Lonesome River Band and Junior Sisk. There were several other bands there but I was so busy playing that I honestly paid little if any attention to who was up on stage.

I've not played with many people in my life, just family and a couple of close friends. Mostly I play by myself and for myself. That, however, leads to stunting your growth. I've had no lessons (to speak of) in the 25 years that I have been playing. I've walked away from it (once for 5 years) so many times.

Now I feel energized and encouraged. The people that I met this past weekend were fun to hang out with and made me feel appreciated even though I didn't know any of the tunes by heart. I never looked at one piece of sheet music (though somebody's tablet had lists of chords for whatever we were playing). I sang (when I knew the words) and played chuck chords and jammed all day.

The high point of my day was after lunch. I had left my mandolins up the hill with some friends while I ate. Our first fiddle player of the day (a sweet lady named Amy) joined up and as she was warming up, a guitar player told us of a jam down the hill. I was going to get my mando, but Amy told me I could play hers.

She went over to her stuff and pulled out a gorgeous Gibson f5 originally owned by Herschel Sizemore, custom made for him by Derrington. I was in awe, and more than a little intimidated. I even said so and Amy told me to play it like I own it, but don't lose her pick.

We jammed for two plus hours straight. I didn't want to go home. We played St. Catherine's reel, Wagon Wheel, Fox on the Run and a few others that I had to write down so I could look them up. Granted, I never played a lead (except on Bile em Cabbage down). I had to ask what chords or key we were playing in, groaned with the other mandolinists (there were two others who were incredible) whenever someone wanted to play in E or B, sang choruses as soon as I got the words down (Nine pound Hammer is on my need to learn list) and generally lost all sense of inhibition. At one point I just started doing tremelos in key with whatever we were playing (and even sounded decent at it, mostly).

What I took away from my first festival: Mostly the need to get out and play with others. I got more out of my first jam than I have gotten in my years of struggling by myself. I now know what a good mandolin should sound like (and my mandos may suffer for it). I will aspire to save for my first Gibson. I will play along with tunes I don't know and try to get in key ASAP. I will master backbeat and chord changes. I won't be afraid to play in front of other people. I will play up the neck. I may even take some real lessons.

Thanks for reading this long drawn out post. If you've ever contemplated going to a jam or festival but were afraid, just go. You'll walk away thanking yourself for going.

Tobin
May-29-2015, 9:00am
Uh oh. You're ruined now!

I'm glad you did this. We say it all the time here, but playing with others is huge. HUGE. It changes everything you thought you knew about playing the mandolin. And it's just plain fun. I don't get out to festivals much, but try to get out and jam with others as often as I can. And I always learn something, or have something to add to my overall experience. One could spend a lifetime doing this and still have something to learn.

Timbofood
May-29-2015, 9:07am
It's a sickness which you will carry to your grave!
Have a wonderful time. Make an effort to learn some things in E and B, the guys I generally play with like those keys, and then you can be one of the guys who says nothing when it starts and take right off! Your efforts will be rewarded!
I really like hearing "first time at a festival" stories

KEB
May-29-2015, 10:14am
If you can play 4-3 finger chop chords in A and D, you can play in B and E-- just slide up two frets!

If you're looking for more encouragement on these types of situations, the Wernick Jam classes are great for this-- they're all folks that are like you and me-- a bit on the less experienced side who want to play with others and are super encouraging. A lot of festivals have digested versions of these classes -- even if you know enough to play with others, its' a great way to meet folks. Highly recommended.

Chughes423
May-29-2015, 10:37am
I'm going to my first bluegrass festival in a few weeks since starting the mandolin. I want to bring my instrument but I'm super nervous. But you guys are right, we can't get better if we don't get out there. Glad you made the leap!

farmerjones
May-29-2015, 10:43am
Very Cool!
It's like the grin you can't wipe off your face for like 10 hours.
Perfect strangers or close buddies, it don't matter. :mandosmiley: Just tons and tons of fun.

Ron Cox
May-29-2015, 10:49am
I was hugely nervous! none of us knew the same music, me even less. We just started with "chording" together (I took the three chords I knew and layed down a rhythm). I got the E/B thing after a little bit thanks to another Mando player, even though I still have to look. It wasn't nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. Everyone was just happy to be there and hang out. At one point we had a double base, two guitarists, two banjos and 3 mandolins all trying to play a song only half of the people knew, and it was still a hoot. I'm still grinning from ear to ear from the fact that I made music with others.

And it didn't sound bad.

Now I'm going to start saving for a Gibson. I'll need to learn what to look for, but after playing Herschel's mandolin, I'm hooked.

Timbofood
May-29-2015, 10:58am
Yep, cheeks hurt from smiling? Feet hurt from standing on acorns or walnut shells or stones in the back lot. Your fingersare numb from ding as much as you can possibly imagine!
"But, it's a good tired!"
It never stops being fun!

JeffD
May-29-2015, 11:01am
She went over to her stuff and pulled out a gorgeous Gibson f5 originally owned by Herschel Sizemore, custom made for him by Derrington. I was in awe, and more than a little intimidated. I even said so and Amy told me to play it like I own it, but don't lose her pick.

That cracked me up.

Festivals and playing with other people carves a mandolin shaped spot in your heart. You will not take another 5 year hiatus from mandolinning, I predict.

Ron Cox
May-29-2015, 12:12pm
JeffD you are so right!

And Tim, we were lucky and the festival organizers made sure there were plenty of chairs and shade! Could not believe the crowds that gathered to listen to us even though there were live bands playing.

My own playing was just simple chuck chords (occasional tremelo thrown in) but I felt so part of the music. Didn't get home till the wee hours of the morning, and I'll make sure to post about the event next year so those near enough can partake.

How does one even begin to choose there next mando, based on someone else's custom one?

Tobin
May-29-2015, 12:22pm
Now I'm going to start saving for a Gibson. I'll need to learn what to look for, but after playing Herschel's mandolin, I'm hooked.

By all means, save up for your dream mandolin. Aiming for a Gibson is certainly a good direction to go. But, as I'm sure you know, not just any Gibson mandolin will sound like Herschel's custom Derrington mandolin. On the one hand, you've had a taste of a really good mandolin and it has led you to the dark side of MAS, which is a good thing. But on the other hand, you might be chasing a sound that you won't be able to find. Best thing to do is just get out there and start playing top-end mandolins. Not only across the Gibson line, but other brands as well. You won't be able to replicate the euphoria of playing that Gibson, at that moment, in that setting, with those people, but you may be surprised at the range of tone that's out there, and find "the one", whether it's a Gibson or not.

That "grinning from ear to ear" feeling is the stuff that makes all of this worth it, and leads us to spend ridiculous amounts of money on this obsession (not to mention the time and other resources we throw at it). I've sat in a few jams that left me thinking, without any exaggeration at all, that this is the most fun a person can have with his or her clothes on. Those non-musical people just don't know what they're missing!

Ron Cox
May-29-2015, 5:05pm
I'm probably going to be looking not for the sound but the playability. Herschel's mandolin was like my favorite beater, only better. No matter which instrument I have had in my hands, I always seem to go back to my Saga/Kentucky. My old beater has always felt more comfy to me than anything I have picked up since I've owned her.

Until this Gibson, and the Gibson sounded so sweet. Was it the setup? Was it some unseen mojo imbued by Mr. Derrington and Mr. Sizemore? A few drops of blood spilled during the creation? I bled on my first mando quite a bit when I first started playing. The guy who did my setup cut his finger and bled on my soundboard while adjusting my intonation.

I guess my new quest will be to play as much as possible and as many different mandolins as I can lay my hands on. I'd like to be able to custom order, but I wouldn't know what to ask for. Well, the search should be almost as much fun as the playing.

How much money should I have saved up before I start my search? Will I need to sell a small (or medium) child? Or just cash in their college funds?

I'd really love to play a Jacobson one time. I bet Marty could help me reach my Zen once I figure out what my Zen is.

MysTiK PiKn
May-29-2015, 5:40pm
Your Zen is where you are. Figuring it out - what for? - the real experience that you are literally BROADCASTING all over this thread IS THE REAL THING - just enjoy it, and watch where it leads you.

Thanks for sharing your experience here. I have been to a few, had my own amazing experience - and your description will do just fine. I come away with scenes, images, and a thousand sounds bouncing around in my head. And it never completely goes away; maybe because I am like radar, and am naturally drawn to more, more, and what else? I haven't been to one lately tho - gotta fix that - there's some grand plan that's on my mind. I am going road trip somewhere.

It's nice to catch some of the stage acts - esp. the really good one. but the big fun is the jams into the night. I never liked the organized jam areas - there were only about 10 other camp area and parking lot jams all over the place. You can stay, or go, or be the main jam w your own audience, etc. I donno. Just thanks for feeding the fire, brother.

Tobin
May-29-2015, 6:53pm
Until this Gibson, and the Gibson sounded so sweet. Was it the setup? Was it some unseen mojo imbued by Mr. Derrington and Mr. Sizemore? A few drops of blood spilled during the creation?

Don't forget that Mr. Sizemore's former mandolin has had a lot of playing time on it. Age and playing can have a big impact on sound. Not to mention the mojo that mandolin has absorbed. Maybe what you're looking for is a well used mandolin.

JeffD
May-29-2015, 7:00pm
You are in Fredericksburg VA. Go to Pickers Supply if you haven't already. They often have a great supply of new and vintage mandolins to try out. See if the sound and playability you seek is available there.

Rodney Riley
May-29-2015, 8:31pm
...A few drops of blood spilled during the creation? I bled on my first mando quite a bit when I first started playing. The guy who did my setup cut his finger and bled on my soundboard while adjusting my intonation.

:)) My Godin should be in fine shape to play now. Did some bloodletting 3 times while changing strings this week... :))

Ron Cox
May-29-2015, 9:22pm
I'd like to consider myself a regular at Picker's Supply, as I find myself there every other week or so. Since the museum in back holds all the vintage stuff it's a little intimidating to ask to play one.

Yeah, used is definitely what I'll be getting since a custom Gibby is at least a decade more of playing before I rate.

Tobin
May-29-2015, 9:54pm
Meh. You don't need to "rate" any particular level to play a fine instrument. That is a self defeating concept. Save your money and by the best you can afford. Or the one that makes you happy, regardless of cost. It will make you better. It will inspire you to be better. They say you should dress for the job you want, not the job you have. There's a parallel with the mandolin you play. It's psychological, I suppose, but the physical side of an excellent mandolin plays a part too.

And you know what? You only live once. It's too short a life to spend trying to earn some imaginary level of skill that would warrant a nice thing.

Timbofood
May-30-2015, 8:55am
When I sold them I asked how much they could afford, not to be a snot but, to know where to start. If they had little money, lesser instruments were discussed, tested, etc. if they had vast quantities of finances available, better pieces were put in the mix. My point was that a better instrument will not need replacement as expertise increases. The better instrument will also deflate the "I play poorly because this is a junky instrument" argument.
If you buy the best quality instrument you can afford, you have removed one significant hurdle in playing growth.....for the time being.
Then, MAS kicks in and all I have said becomes nothing more than a sermon that you slept through:grin:

JeffD
May-30-2015, 12:39pm
You always want your mandolins to be much much better than you. Always want lots of inspiring head room, and also to know that the limit reached is you, not the mandolin.

Seriously.