PDA

View Full Version : American luthier

dave17120
May-27-2015, 4:53pm
Hi Guys, I'm bringing this one to the experts..... its a highly inlaid bowlback, made in the US. There was a label saying 'Italian maker, Boston'.... but I had a feeling there was something underneath.... and when I got the labels off, it appears to have been made by an 'S Blotein'..... in Chelsea Mass..... any one any info, or better suggestions on the name???? Thanks, Dave

Details of the restoration so far can be found here.....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.898050676903085.1073741850.625461164162039&type=3&uploaded=8

dave17120
May-29-2015, 3:35pm
My.... 130ish views and no one has any ideas?!? I am stunned!! :(

Bob A
May-29-2015, 11:27pm
The absolute zenith of over-the-top. My eyes are still vibrating.

No idea of who that might be, or even why, but it does take things about as far as humanly possible, and for that alone, I must salute.

Our friends in SE Asia have a long way to go. At times like this, I'm proud to be an American.

MikeEdgerton
May-30-2015, 8:11am
The luthier isn't listed here (http://www.mugwumps.com/AmerInstMkr.html#B.). I've never heard the name and the name certainly doesn't sound Italian. Is it possible S. Blotien was the owner and just glued that label in to identify his instrument? There were builders in Boston that could have built it. Both labels look to be in the same hand. I can't imagine anyone doing that kind of work and not having a proper label. The original label could have fallen out.

dave17120
May-30-2015, 5:29pm
No I cant imagine any luthier making something like that and not 'owning up' to it...... but the instrument has obviously had work done on it in the past..... so who knows.... its already an advance if no-one has heard of an S Blotein.... :) Thanks

Jim Garber
May-30-2015, 10:40pm
The name looks like "S. Blostein" to me. Very strange. I almost thought that it might be possible that this guy acquired this bowlback and then added his artistry to it. The pearlwork on the bowl is possible but I have never seen anyone inlay pearl to the back of the neck. Very odd.