PDA

View Full Version : Trouble sliding w/ coated strings

Mike Barber
May-26-2015, 6:37pm
Does anybody else have trouble sliding with coated strings (EXP specifically)? I love the strings otherwise. But slides seems to stick sometimes. More than the uncoated anyway. It seems like most people report being able to slide a bit better so I'm just wondering if I'm alone on this?

Edit - actually I just tried an uncoated set to test and it must have just been a faulty memory. The coated were no worse.

Chughes423
May-26-2015, 8:53pm
I've only tried coated on a guitar and I hated it. sounded bad.

Tobin
May-27-2015, 8:26am
I find slides easier on coated strings, but numerous others have said they feel sticky. I think it really comes down to your playing style, finger chemistry, fingertip callus properties, finger pressure, and other variables.

For me, the coated strings tend to have less of a 'zippy' feel when sliding. Uncoated strings, to me, feel like trying to slide my fingers along the teeth of a zipper. Obviously not that extreme, but I feel like I'm having to drag my fingertips over the winding. The winding runs perpendicular to the direction my finger is trying to move, and acts like the ribbed grip on a tool handle, working against me. The coating reduces friction, making it easier.

If memory serves (which it doesn't always do faithfully), EXP strings have a winding that's coated before wrapping, while Elixir strings are coated after winding. This will make a big difference in how they feel under the finger when sliding. Being coated after winding will tend to fill the valleys a bit, smoothing out the profile. But being coated before winding shouldn't change the overall profile of ridges and valleys in the winding. If this is correct, then the only way the EXP coating helps is by reducing the coefficient of friction between your fingertip and the string. But if your finger reacts to it by feeling sticky, then it's of no help there.

DWM
May-27-2015, 12:21pm
Try a set of Elixirs the next time. I think you will find them much easier to slide with. As Tobin said, they are coated after winding.

hucklebilly
May-27-2015, 3:51pm
I've had exactly the same experience with the D'Addario coated strings.