PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Armrest

TEvans
May-20-2015, 10:53am
Wanted to know if anyone has used one of these cumberland acoustics armrests on their mando?

I have used the McClung for a good while now, but I think that I want something smaller, and the black ebony would blend into the outer dark rim of the sunburst a little better.

Let me know if you've used one of these, and what you think about it!
Thanks!

J Mangio
May-20-2015, 11:52am
I use the CA armrest on both my go to mandos; the size is perfect for keeping

my forearm off the top of the mando. Before the armrest I used a sports wrist sweat

band, to keep the edge of the mando

from digging into my forearm until I made the move to an armrest. Since then I haven't

looked back.

I cut a piece of leather from an old wallet and slipped it behind the metal rods to

protect the finish in case the clip loosened and did damage.

pickinNgrinnin
May-20-2015, 2:18pm
I've been using CA arm rests for a number of years, along with their pickguards and bridges. The arm rest is completely functional. Easy to put on and remove. No finish issues with the cork padded clamps. Great quality products. NFI.

Bill Snyder
May-20-2015, 9:55pm
You could always have Doug make you a smaller McClung.

Tobin
May-21-2015, 7:25am
You could always have Doug make you a smaller McClung.
That's what I was thinking too. The McClung is Doug's most popular style, but he does make other armrests. And since he custom makes these by hand, I'm sure he can make any size or shape within reason, in any wood choice, and color matched to whatever you desire.

mandroid
May-21-2015, 10:43am
I too have a CA.. they were in the market before doug started up. as I recall ..

I got mine because the recurve left a Sharp edge.. , top of the tailpiece is armrest too, functionally.

Mark Wilson
May-21-2015, 11:47am
I have one of each in black ebony. The McClung is more comfortable. The CA has the more appealing footprint. I prefer the comfort and will get another ebony McClung someday.

(I'll keep an eye on the classifieds for next couple of days now that you have brought it up. ;))

Clement Barrera-Ng
May-21-2015, 12:42pm
I have tried both and do prefer the profile and angle of a McClung. Comparatively, the CA armrest feels a bit too flat for my arm. So while it keeps the mando edge from digging into my arm, it doesn't elevate it into the picking position that I've come accustomed to. As Bill said, I'm sure Doug will be happy to make you a smaller one.

Mark Wilson
May-31-2015, 12:07pm
(I'll keep an eye on the classifieds for next couple of days now that you have brought it up. ;))

There you go: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/86989

Bill Snyder
May-31-2015, 1:46pm
The one in the classifieds is $5 more than purchasing directly from Cumberland Acoustic.

TEvans
Jun-01-2015, 9:41am
Yeah. I had it on my mandolin for a few minutes. Just too flat for me.
I guess I didn't realize how much I had become accustomed to the angle of the McClung.

Sometimes you just gotta try things you don't like to find out what you do!

dan@kins
Jun-01-2015, 9:46am
All of the Cumberland Acoustics products are top notch. Steve Smith has it going on in a far out and happening way (just like Greg Brad).

The CA armrests are great! Buy them.

Mark Wilson
Jun-01-2015, 8:08pm
Sometimes you just gotta try thingsOr ask. ;) I tried one on my Pava and reached the same conclusion.

James Miller
Jan-19-2018, 5:09pm
Ordered one in from Cumberland, although was expecting something slightly longer and wider.

This gives me an idea to make one a tad more longer on the ends that flare down, slightly wider with flared edge so it is not so abrupt. With big arms that edge is not as square as the Y2K is, yet can still feel it.
Would have to drill the holes, then shape it to a more comfortable flared edge me thinks. And use thicker cork so the clamp fits on tighter without having the ramp down on the threaded adjusters.