PDA

View Full Version : A New Ludewig- the Eggplant

Dale Ludewig
May-16-2015, 1:54pm
I just strung this up yesterday. It's a prototype with some very special redwood for the top. This one is staying home. I've got a few more tops of the redwood. I'd decided before I built it that is was going to be an eggplant color. But I changed my mind about the color on the top. I left that natural. So it kind of became an eggplant saddle shoe. Tailpiece and bridge from Bill James. Sounds pretty good. The pictures could be better. I'll try for some more soon.

Pete Jenner
May-16-2015, 4:16pm
Aka 'The Aubergine'. Tasty.

Timbofood
May-16-2015, 7:28pm
"L'aubergine"?
Do one in green... Le Courgette.
So much for vegetable instruments.

JEStanek
May-16-2015, 7:46pm
It seems happy!

Jamie

Larry S Sherman
May-16-2015, 8:25pm
"L'aubergine"?
Do one in green... Le Courgette.
So much for vegetable instruments.

Dale is famous for for his green!

Larry

Marty Jacobson
May-16-2015, 8:46pm
Really nice, Dale. Looks great. The instrument has a Zeidler-ish vibe overall, which is a good thing.

Ivan Kelsall
May-17-2015, 2:45am
I've been a 'fan' of Dale's mandolins ever since i saw his 'Blueburst' "F" model a few years back. It's still one of the most beautiful mandolins 'ever' for me.
This new one is very lovely indeed - i'd drive it !!. One minor crit. - having a black armrest & a black pickguard,i'd have gone for a matching black tailpiece,maybe a matt black chrome one ?,but that's purely my taste - a full 'suite' of black fittings in keeping with the absolutely fabulous Aubergine back - now that is an amazing colour,:disbelief:
Ivan;)

Skip Kelley
May-17-2015, 4:14pm
Nice work, Dale!

Dale Ludewig
May-17-2015, 5:48pm
Thanks to all. I'll try to get better pictures up soon. Ivan, you don't know the troubles that come with trying to do the black chrome over here right now. The gold tailpiece and other hardware kind of ties all that together. I appreciate your compliments!

Ivan Kelsall
May-18-2015, 4:20am
Hello Dale - I was expressing my 'personal' taste,of course.The existing tailpiece on your mandolin looks beautiful anyway.
'Black Chrome' plating is a fairly rare commodity over here as well. Several years back,the Bluegrass band 'Bluegrass etc.' came over & Dennis Caplinger had a Black chromed Stelling & i've never forgotten just how good the 'all black look' looked. It was quite a change from the 'standard' bright Nickel,something the 'Nechville' banjos have picked up on,
Ivan;)

Tavy
May-19-2015, 2:47am
Nice! Adventurous color for sure, but it works very well: great job :)

Atlanta Mando Mike
May-20-2015, 7:57am
Dale,
Interesting take on the f holes and the pickguard shape. Love the top color too. The Pickguard seems deeper set than most mandolins as it looks to be below the fingerboard. Is that a standard thing you do or something just for this mandolin and is there a reason beyond aesthetics?

mcgroup53
May-20-2015, 8:08am
Very nice, Dale. Like the color a lot!

Tom C
May-20-2015, 8:10am
Very nice. I always believe there should be contrast with the top and sides/back. I would not like an all eggplant (same with the all blondes too)

Dale Ludewig
May-20-2015, 8:40am
Michael,

Thank you. I always mount my pickguards below the fingerboard, pinned/ screwed into the fingerboard support extension. It seems to make sense to me. If you want a scooped Florida, the pickguard is already down there. Regardless, It does its job and is out of the way and still gives you something to drag your fingers on, if that's someone's desire.