PDA

View Full Version : Collapsed top

bigbike4
Apr-15-2005, 8:00am
Got a cheapie hondo mandolin given to me that has a collapsed top (under the bridge). The supports (2 wooden dowels) are in there, but I notice the back is starting to give out also. My question-Can I open this up and put 4 small, thin wooden shims in? (One glued directly over the affected top/bottom area, without affecting tone?)

Can you tell I am new to this?

bigbike4
Apr-15-2005, 5:15pm
Well, I opened her up and then found that there was a brace that had come unglued in the area that collapsed. All afternoon I have been working with glue and clamps to get the brace back down. I am also gonna reposition the wooden dowel braces while I am in here and then over the weekend reglue the bottom on. The item appears to be a very light colored (blonde finish) with pick guard, Hondo. The hardware is in great shape. I would estimate this instrument is still in the $100 range (or below). It should be fun to learn on.

Since I have had it open and the strings off, I have cleaned up the neck and fretboard-which is ebony and not rosewood. All in all not a bad little gimme http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif instrument. I also do work on banjos, as well as play them. I usually get myself into more trouble because I leap before looking. Anyway, If anybody wants to comment let me know. I still wanna find out if I put some light weight spruce pieces on top (and bottom) of the dowels if this will help keep them from pushing thru? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

sunburst
Apr-15-2005, 5:41pm
Dowels?
That ain't standard equipment in any mandolins that I know of. Are you sure they aren't something somebody added because the tone bars were loose and the top was sinking?
It smacks of "home remedy" to me.
If I'm right, and the tone bars are properly re-glued, I don't think you need no stinking dowels.

John Bertotti
Apr-15-2005, 7:30pm
Sounds like an old thread about the post like in a violin. No clue what they were called but Everyone agreed that they were a detriment. John

Stephanie Reiser
Apr-16-2005, 12:29am
I wonder if it has any bracing under the top...
tone bars or maybe x-style bracing, or whatever
foreign country that made the thing didnt know of such bracing so they just used dowels (pillars) to hold the top from caving in. I think you could get ahold of some wood and make a pair of tone bars.
Stephanie

Rob Grant
Apr-16-2005, 12:51am
The first mandolin I ever repaired was a Hondo. Looking back on it now, I think it would have made an excellent object to throw at the neighbor's pesky mutt or a great fire starter.<G>

bigbike4
Apr-16-2005, 10:15am
So the dowels are not suppose to be in there. They appear to be about 3/8" thick and are exactly the height of the spacing between top and bottom covers. As I stated, once I opened the instrument up there was a strip of spruce about 2" wide and 8" (or so) long that had come unglued right down thru the area where the bridge would sit. So first repair was to reglue this strip down. Then next I took the dowels and repositioned them, since their aged wood looks about the same as the inside of the instrument. I am currently reclamping and awaiting the glue to dry so that I can re string her and hopefully play her. S

So she should be a "critter thrower atter" huh? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

tope
Apr-17-2005, 8:05am
I would agree with Sunburst that if you have two tone bars the dowels are probably a home remedy.

bigbike4
Apr-17-2005, 2:06pm
Finally got her all back together and restrung. For a cheapie mando she sure plays good and has perfect intoneation at the 12th Fingering was quick and easy I was amazed at how easily I could get a couple of tunes out of her as I have never played mando before last night ever.