PDA

View Full Version : First real mando lesson.....

TheOne-N-OnlyHomer
May-09-2015, 5:26pm
So after teaching myself for about 1.5 years I took my first real mandolin lesson today, and well all I can say is sometimes you have to go back before you can go forward. It was very informative and I think it's gonna nip some bad habits in the bud before they get to far down the road. I'm glad I decided to take them when I did and I think the knowledge I acquired on my own is really going to blossom under the guidance of a teacher, looking forward to many more lessons down the road and practicing what I've learned thus far. Think I may have jumped the gun wanting a new mando, then again maybe not!;)

Paul South
May-09-2015, 7:02pm
Are your lessons in person or Skype? I have been messing around for about a year and would like to take lessons, but with my work schedule and the closest instructor to me, Skype may be my best option. Congrats on getting started with your lessons.

BJ O'Day
May-09-2015, 7:49pm
In person lessons are great. I recommend it if at all possible.

BJ

bigskygirl
May-09-2015, 10:47pm
Nice, glad you enjoyed it. In person lessons are best I think but I've been Skyping for about a year now and it works out great. I came over from guitar and have a background in music so it was a smooth transition. I wanted a teacher whose primary instrument was the mandolin, with Skype now some of the very best are available for lessons.

TheOne-N-OnlyHomer
May-10-2015, 6:46am
My lessons are in person but I must confess I'm a little behind technologically so....lol. I also find it odd that I live in a part of the country near the very heart of folk, traditional, bluegrass and country western music yet I struggled to find a mando teacher and when I did he was from New York, go figure.:))

Chuck Hooper
May-10-2015, 7:55am
i started with mandolin for dummies and no music background at all.as "dirty harry" callahan used to say"...a man has to know his limitations..."i started about a year ago going for a half hour on saturdays.i have learned a lot about playing and reading music but most of all i have learned to have a fuller appreciation about my chosen instrument.between lessons i play/practice every single day.i started with a 90 dollar fender and have acquired 5 more/kentuckys ,loars ,j.bovier(...i know....it's a sickness) i will have my "recital" next month and can't wait.i think that if you can afford them,up close/face to face lessons are THE way to go.

lenf12
May-10-2015, 8:44am
Chuck said "I think that if you can afford them, up close/face to face lessons are THE way to go."

I take a monthly mandolin lesson with a guy who also plays fabulous Django/Tony Rice style guitar. I use the lesson as an opportunity to play along with a much better player than I'll ever be. It's worth the money to me to spend time playing with somebody who is at a much higher level of playing. I just hope some of it wears off on me...

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

bigskygirl
May-10-2015, 11:13am
.......I use the lesson as an opportunity to play along with a much better player than I'll ever be. It's worth the money to me to spend time playing with somebody who is at a much higher level of playing. I just hope some of it wears off on me.......

Agree! With today's online technology some of the very best are available for lessons now if you are in an area where local teachers are scarce.