PDA

View Full Version : Can you say No Click?

Mar-02-2004, 11:46am
check this out. A custom Master with a Steffey style fretboard. Can you say no click.

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-02-2004, 12:45pm
has a fret been left out too. Kinda looks like there's a slot there

ShaneJ
Mar-02-2004, 1:00pm
Sweet http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Mar-02-2004, 2:16pm
Yup Darryl a fret has been removed right above the cut.

If anybody can guess which Grand Ole opry Star that this belonged to gets a free pack of J-74 strings!

Ok. Charlie,Joe,Jim,Barry,Chris,Steve you can't enter to win http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandofiddle
Mar-02-2004, 2:46pm
Is that a glare by the treble f-hole, or finish wear?

Mar-02-2004, 2:59pm
Mandofiddle....That is a glare in the photo. However there is varnish wear on the top and back and all thru out. The finish is also worn off the back of the neck. It has been played alot!

Don Grieser
Mar-02-2004, 3:04pm
Mike Snider?

Is the fingerboard radiussed too?

Mar-02-2004, 3:27pm
Don you win !!.. Nope it is a flat fingerboard.. Send me a PM with your address and I will get the strings out to you.

mandoJeremy
Mar-02-2004, 4:01pm
Hey Mav, is the sunburst on that much smaller and darker like the Steffey model. It doesn't look like the standard sunburst on the Master Models.

Mar-02-2004, 4:21pm
Yeap you are correct Jeremy.. It has a smaller burst and a little bit darker like a late 24 loar.

Kevin K
Mar-02-2004, 4:23pm
Man, I was busy at work and just got to the post. I knew Mike played this one. Mike and Steffey are pretty good friends. Steffey is one awesome player and a great person.

Kevin K
Mar-02-2004, 4:25pm
What strings are on it, and is that a tortise pick?

levin4now
Mar-02-2004, 4:28pm
..and what kind of watch is the holder of the instrument wearing. We need to know http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandoJeremy
Mar-02-2004, 4:30pm
So, it basically is a Steffey model in varnish? Does it have a flowerpot or fleur de lis?

Mar-02-2004, 4:35pm
Kevin. They are J-74 strings and yes Tortise pick. May you rest in peace little Turtle http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jeremy. It doesnt have any other Steffey appointments other than the cutoff fretboard and a little smaller burst. It is 100 percent master model. Has the flowerpot, Loar fretboard width and waverly tuners..

mandoJeremy
Mar-02-2004, 4:37pm
Thanks Mav, how does it sound? Straight Master Model?

Mar-02-2004, 4:40pm
Heres a pic of the front.

Mar-02-2004, 4:43pm
back

Kevin K
Mar-02-2004, 4:47pm
Mav,

Does Mike still have his Summit?

Mar-02-2004, 4:55pm
Not sure Kevin. I know he had one at one time though. He had a Tucker to.

Scotti Adams
Mar-02-2004, 5:32pm
..nice...I bet its a cannon...I seen Mike play this live on the Opry..it honked...he quite the mando player himself and hes got a kick hiney band

cbogle
Mar-02-2004, 8:38pm
levin4now--

The watch looks like it could be a stainless Rolex Submariner with date (but I could be wrong). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Mar-02-2004, 9:40pm
Levin4now.. The watch in question is a fossil of 2002 vintage, slightly worn, but keeps perfect time. The hardware is silver and gold plating.

Can anybody guess what kind of book that is in the floor. The white book that is.

Mar-02-2004, 9:41pm
MandoJeremy.. It sounds great. Cuts like a knife. It is a Major Honker. I think that is going to be my new Buzz word today. MAJOR HONKER aka.Hoss,Killer, http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandoJeremy
Mar-02-2004, 11:25pm
Hoss is the word Mav! Thanks for the info.

Scotti Adams
Mar-03-2004, 9:23am
I really, really like that burst...sorta Steffey style but wiht the MM colors and a little darker...

Jim Roberts
Mar-03-2004, 10:04pm
Maverick: Let me guess...your going to now offer this mandolin for sale in the classifieds?

Jim

Crowder
Mar-03-2004, 10:07pm
What do you know, there it is For Sale.

Kevin K
Mar-03-2004, 10:08pm
What's Mike playing now. Gruhn had a couple of Mike's mandolins for sale not too long ago.

jasona
Mar-04-2004, 12:14am
Maverick: Let me guess...your going to now offer this mandolin for sale in the classifieds?

Jim
Maverick isn't the only person who uses this section as an opportunity to get free hosting and advertising for their inventory. Hell, I "window shop" for mandolins frequently--at Eldery.com, gruhns.com, mandolinbrothers...etc. But its my choice, and the vendors pay for the site. I really hope that those who post images and hype here, then sell off in the classifieds donate a percentage to Scott every time they do it, because otherwise I consider it an ethical "grey shade" towards theft.

I am not attempting to drive Mav away from this site again. Honestly, I don't care--except if it is the case that Scott is being taken advantage of by this practice. (It is a fact that I haven't contributed half as much in donations as I receive from this site.) And I understand that sometimes events consipre to make one month's "life keeper" to be a necessary commodity the next. I do however think that it is high time we make explicit what theis section is for. Is it what I have previously thought, for the cafe community to post images of their pride and joy (or ten ;) ) or is it to exploit a market?

If Scott has no problem with this practice, fine by me. I'll take a look at the images posted regardless. I just want for everybody's expectations to be on the same page, and that requires an open statement.

Scott Tichenor
Mar-04-2004, 7:30am
I think I hear the sound of gloves being taken off.

Maverick and I had a productive discussion awhile back by phone and I'm sure you're aware he and I had an issue with this very subject which resulted in (I'll speak for myself) some behavior I'd just as soon get past. So yes, this mandolin is for sale, and if that's his worst sin in posting here on the board then it hasn't killed anyone yet. No one's been hurt. However, he doesn't post every instrument he has for sale out here and I would not expect he would nor anyone else will--and if he's donating to the scholarship fund I can deal with it.

Truth is it's easy to dig this old stuff up and revisit it but it's just plain ugly to do so. I'm not defending anyone, and I'm not chastising anyone. Do what's right for the community and that means everyone, not just the folks posting on this thread. I posted some guidelines awhile back at the bottom of the front page. Addressing no one in particular I'd like to use this opportunity to encourage everyone to read those and ask if you're doing what's in the best interst of the community.

If anyone has a personal issue with this I encourage you to PM me.
I'd be interested in what you have to say.

Scotti Adams
Mar-04-2004, 7:48am
..very cool reply Scott...and to Jasona..to Mavs defense..I had the priviledge to meet Maverick a few weeks back....I dont believe there is a crass bone in his body...hes a hell of a nice guy who just likes to have fun and gets excited about mandos like some of the rest of us...so just let things lay and they will work themselves out...Mav is not out to make any trouble and as was said before this issue had been taken care of already...

Ken Sager
Mar-04-2004, 8:02am
Maverick,

If it's naturally distressed (on stage) and you blew a bunch of cigar smoke into the case you could ask $19k for it, couldn't you? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

All in fun (note the smiley),
Ken

Scotti Adams
Mar-04-2004, 8:05am
..shh...dont give him any ideas... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ronlane3
Mar-04-2004, 8:43am
Great post Scott. You have taken a high road and I commend you for it. I just looked back at all the posts and at NO time did Mav ever mention it was for sale. He just posted a few pictures of a very sweet and unusual custom Master Model

Mar-04-2004, 9:07am
Hey Guys I mean to hurt no one on this. Many people post under the mandolin images and about half of them turn up being sold if you actually go back and look and that is a fact. If Scott wants me to erase the images that is fine I will. Me and Scott had a good talk a while back and I have no mean bone in my body toward him nor anybody else for that matter. I thought many of you would like to have seen a 1 of a kind Master model which has never been made like this one before. Has anybody ever seen one like this before? After all the thread is "Post a picture of your mandolin" Have any of you ever seen me post rinky dink mandolins trying to hype them up here? Nope sure haven't

If you see I am making a donation to the mandolin sympousim also for the sale of the mandolin.

Really people some of you don't know me and it is easy to slam me but the pics of some of the mandolins I have posted are very rare and how many of you would have ever had a chance to see one in a forum like this.

Also on a quick note Ted Wigglesworth has opted to buy the mandolin "all sales final, Prepaid postal money order" He has till Friday to come up with the purchase.

I think that would add a little spin on things and figured you all would like to know how that turns out to.

cutbait2
Mar-04-2004, 9:49am
i for one am a little concerned about the present level of marketing and how that can affect the objectivity of information being presented. it seems obvious from the front page and the fact that there are classifieds that a portion of the purpose of the MC is to facilitate marketing of instruments. fine, but in the interest of objectivity shouldn't dealers, builders, and their reps identify themselves in posts so that a reader may weigh the information presented more accurately? a case in point would be Dale, who i believe includes this info in all his posts? i would think so if the other part of the purpose of the MC is furthering the popularity of the instrument.

Mar-04-2004, 10:05am
cutbait2.. I understand your view. I will put a tag that says mandolin player/trader. The truth be known. I am just like Marc Darrow, Brain Aldrige, Mitch Simpson, Barry waldrep and many others, I trade mandolins buy and sell. I am not a really a dealer. I am listed as a dealer in rigel's website but I have not sold a Rigel in over a year nor do I stock them. I have no brick and morter building. I buy and trade right out of my house. At the most I may have 2 mandolins at any time.

Don Grieser
Mar-04-2004, 10:41am
I love looking at pictures of fine mandolins, especially some of the ones Maverick has posted: Tuckers, Pags, Master Models, etc. If you don't know by now, Maverick loves the mandolin just like all of us (maybe more) but he doesn't stay with any one mando very long. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keep posting those photos, Mav.

Mar-04-2004, 10:50am
That is very true Don. I have commitment issues with mandolins. I just can't seem to stay faithfull to just one mandolin very long http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

BenE
Mar-04-2004, 10:58am
That is very true Don. I have commitment issues with mandolins. I just can't seem to stay faithfull to just one mandolin very long

Sure cheaper than a lot of other addictions!

Thanks Mav...I like looking at the pictures! #I was that way even as a kid #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ronlane3
Mar-04-2004, 11:32am
Mav, no attack intended from me. I'm on your side. I appreciate you posted a custom MM. Thanks

Tiderider
Mar-04-2004, 11:55am
I personally enjoyed the pics of this one of kind Master Model, as I enjoy all the pictures folks post up. It makes no difference to me if it's for sale or not. It also prompted a very intersting topic of discussion. This is just my opinion and nothing more.

Lee

mandoryan
Mar-04-2004, 12:34pm
I also like the pics and support Mav on this issue. I think a lot of us would not get to see mandolins like this otherwise. I for one, think it is generous of both Scott and Mav to host/share these pics that would otherwise not be seen. Just my opinion but I wanted to express my appreciation. Also, it's not a free ride for anyone involved. Donations are made and things are done behind the scenes that we don't know about. Not fair for us to judge based on assumption.

jasona
Mar-04-2004, 12:38pm
and to Jasona..to Mavs defense..I had the priviledge to meet Maverick a few weeks back....I dont believe there is a crass bone in his body...hes a hell of a nice guy who just likes to have fun and gets excited about mandos like some of the rest of us...so just let things lay and they will work themselves out...Mav is not out to make any trouble and as was said before this issue had been taken care of already...
Scotti, Mav, and all:

I was really trying to put a brake on what I sensed was a building sentiment. I read the posts preceeding mine and thought "here we go again"! I also hoped I did not overly single out Mav--scroll down to the "Laurel" thread and see another recent example. But the way we deal with these situations is by calmly bringing concerns out and discussing them. I will point out that many of the other hobby dealers like Marc Darrow do not post images here so it isn't an entirely fair comparison, but that is now mitigated by the new disclosure in Mav's sig. And I do appreciate seeing images of rare mandolins!

Thanks Scott for your input. I am totally satisfied that we are all on the same page. And it *is* a nice mandolin, and I can't wait to see what Rev. Ted does... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Tom C
Mar-04-2004, 12:44pm
I say that that mando is unique. I don't care if it was for sale or not. I think it deserved it's thread.

cutbait2
Mar-04-2004, 12:53pm
Mav, you and the other low key buyer/sellors are not what i was referring to although a catchy tag like Dales is reasonable and beneficial for all parties i think. how about "Mavervick, buyer and seller of fine mandolins" Its nice to know when Dale posts an opinion about Rigel that he's a dealer, doesn't make his opinion less valid. on the other hand a anonymous guy called cutbait3 starts a thread about dingo mandolins, that he happens to be selling or dealing in, has three friends chime in about how good dingo's are and then posts one on the cafe for sale seems a little bit much to me, or the dingo dealer/maker who sends the dingo thread back to the top every three days. i honestly don't know how much of this goes on but it's what i had in mind.........

Fred G
Mar-04-2004, 1:08pm
I saw it in the classifieds first and was wishing for more pics. I was happy when I found the thread.

Scotti Adams
Mar-04-2004, 1:16pm
exactly....the classifieds limit pic space...I have no problem with private dealers, individual buyers and sellers or big time dealers posting pics....it all boils down to us all being mando-holics....the more the better...

Mar-04-2004, 1:49pm
There have been instances where it appeared that someone started a discussion to build interest and then offered a mandolin for sale after several days of discussion.

Of course, those things could just be coincidental and the discussion could have lead to someone realizing the value of what they had and putting in on the market.

I said in another thread that its hard to ascribe motive based on actions. #I'd hate to restrict sales to only people who have never mentioned their instrument. #

Rules add a burden on someone to enforce them, I'd more favor a suggestion that if you know you are going to be selling the instrument soon you be upfront when you start a discussion about it. #

There was a discussion that started like this recently where the original post said they were considering selling and wanted to know what it was worth.

Mar-04-2004, 9:14pm
Well Ted was supposed to email me the tracking # today for the money orders? Wonder what happen??

Mar-04-2004, 11:00pm
Just got a email from Ted.. He thought about it.. but he has other deals he is working on for less money on master models. I thought it was kinda funny he just had to have it and he said he was sending the money overnight to me. We all knew it was to good to be true coming from Ted http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Anyway she is back up on the auction block.

John Ritchhart
Mar-06-2004, 5:26pm
Uh well, Scott is being a real gentleman, but geez guys read his post. Can't you hear it? And Mav dang, man why in His name would you even consider selling to Wiggles after the trouble he gave Scott. I mean, on his own website, for ****. Sometimes you guys, I mean, Bag of Hammers comes to mind.
Sorry.

jasona
Mar-06-2004, 9:01pm
exactly....the classifieds limit pic space...I have no problem with private dealers, individual buyers and sellers or big time dealers posting pics....it all boils down to us all being mando-holics....the more the better...
I've been thinking about this for a few days, and I have just one question: is it the responsibility of Scott or the dealer to pay for hosting additional images of instruments in the classifieds?

Mar-07-2004, 12:15am
jbrwky ... I knew Ted would never buy the mandolin.. I posted to show how Ted Wigglesworth works. The guy never does what he says. It is all smoke and mirros with Ted.

John Ritchhart
Mar-07-2004, 2:48am
OK, Mav, you're right its hard to tell intention on these posts. Sorry for the intervention. I'm a bit thick sometimes.

jackmagee
Mar-07-2004, 11:18pm
i would like to have a mandolin like that, but i prefer the block inlays... can one like that be converted or be sent to the factory to have that installed? i have a friend thats got one from in the 1923-1924, the collector one. and someone had it changed in the 30's.... just wondering...

Scotti Adams
Mar-08-2004, 10:19am
..Im sure CharlieD and the boys would take this mando and put the block inlay in it for you...

Lee
Mar-08-2004, 12:09pm
Maverick; I'm surprised that you only maintain two mandolins at any one time. I, on the other hand, suffer from separation anxiety. Boxing up a mandolin is like putting it in a coffin.

Mar-08-2004, 12:51pm
jackmagee. Gibson can put another fretboard on it with blocks. I personally wouldn't do it but that is just my opinion.

mandomiss
Mar-08-2004, 1:07pm
My '37 F-4 has a fretboard like that, and it's really nice for when you really want to dig in, but then again it really screws me up when I play an F-5 with the extension.

Big Joe
Mar-08-2004, 2:30pm
Yep. We certainly can put a different fingerboard on with block inlays....or just about anything else you might want. We can do it all. Dave Harvey and the guys in the repair shop are the best!