graham darden
Apr-24-2015, 6:33pm
Hope I did this correctly. 133333133334133335

Clinton Johnson
Apr-24-2015, 6:41pm
Nice Graham!

graham darden
Apr-24-2015, 8:21pm
Thanks Clinton. I will get there some day.

Marty Jacobson
Apr-24-2015, 11:45pm
Nice, looks somewhat like an old Martin. What's the symbol on the peghead? An uncial lowercase D?
The finish looks spectacular, much better than most builder's first few instruments. I'd say you're headed in a good direction. Keep building!

Fred Young
Apr-25-2015, 12:16am
Graham, that is neat as punch! keep it up. I have built a dozen or so, maybe 15 now? I only hobby build and I only use reprocessed wood. I build my molds, and tools, and enjoyed it since 1999. I've even used pine for a couple or three tops, a lot of tar or risen to deal with. This will get a chuckle.. but I stress relieved the pine boards by placing them between a couple of oak boards and beating the heck out of them... with 10lb sledge hammer. From 1999 to date, and no cracks have ever showed up, must have worked? Old spruce quarter sawn boards are hard to come across. All are arched and tone bars. My biggest problem is doing a nice finish, I try to get as little finish as possible, and I have a lot of short falls because of my eyes, and Parkinson, so inlay is a big problem as well. But the journey has been a blessing to me. I play ea one about a week at a time, so I only retune ea one ever 10-15 weeks. The last three have been two point, and I fell in love with two points, and f-hole, a couple of them have the f-5 headstock, so I guess I'll have to saw them off now, since Gibson has claimed the shape as a trademark, Just kidding ok.
Fred

graham darden
Apr-25-2015, 8:29am
Nice, looks somewhat like an old Martin. What's the symbol on the peghead? An uncial lowercase D?
The finish looks spectacular, much better than most builder's first few instruments. I'd say you're headed in a good direction. Keep building!

The peghead symbol is an upper case stonehenge celtic D. The only thing I do not do is saw fingerboards. They are too affordable to spend the time making one. Make my own truss rods etc. I love the time I spend in the shop, so I will keep it up and strive to get better.

Ron McMillan
Apr-25-2015, 9:52am
I envy your skill and dedication to the task, Graham. Great work.

CES
Apr-25-2015, 9:57am
Really nice, Graham!

Bertram Henze
Apr-25-2015, 10:02am
What do we always say at this point? SOUNDCLIPS! Hearing is believing...

graham darden
Apr-25-2015, 10:34am
What do we always say at this point? SOUNDCLIPS! Hearing is believing...

Absolutely. How do u do that. An unbiased opinion is exactly what I want to hear. May break my heart, but it will make me more determined.

Bertram Henze
Apr-25-2015, 10:40am
How do u do that.

Uploading the sound file to SoundCloud and posting a link is what most do. Or better yet, a video on YouTube.
And we are not really a bunch of heartbreakers here... ;)

graham darden
Apr-25-2015, 10:59am
Fred,
I am 66 years old and have the eye thing going on as well. Dealing with these little bitty numbers requires magnification these days. I did reproduction antique furniture and clocks in the 70's. did a couple of guitars as well. Kept the machinery and still use it today. I have thought about domestic wood a lot. Have a man here that will riff saw whatever I want. I Have some 50 year old air tried walnut and I am trying to find some boards close to quarter sawed. The color of this wood is awesome. The first Telecasters were made of pine. You keep going. I am sure the Parkinson is a bitch. Thanks for the reply.
Graham

Tavy
Apr-25-2015, 11:08am
Very nicely done - like everyone else, would love to hear how she sounds ;)

graham darden
Apr-25-2015, 11:28am
I have a decent picker to play her, just need to do the looking and figure out how to do it.

graham darden
Apr-25-2015, 11:44am
Very nicely done - like everyone else, would love to hear how she sounds ;)

This sent my brain off thinking. All my cars, motorcycles, and pretty much everything else, have been named in the feminine gender. Whats up with that? Are we all chauvinist pigs?

Bertram Henze
Apr-25-2015, 12:06pm
All my cars, motorcycles, and pretty much everything else, have been named in the feminine gender. Whats up with that? Are we all chauvinist pigs?

I like to fly over that minefield at a comfortable cruising altitude.
The German language, which has either male or female gender for most objects, definitely calls it "die Mandoline", i.e. female. And it's "der Bass" (male). Nobody's getting their dander up over that either.