PDA

View Full Version : Ferdinando De Cristofaro 1900

3step
Apr-22-2015, 8:45pm
I've had this about 6 months now, and am really enjoying it. It's light and has a lot of volume. I recently replaced the tuners. The old ones were so stiff that one broke off at the metal part as I was tuning up -it is 115 years old, so..- I couldn't fit the bushings in, but it seems to do fine without. There were 2 De Cristofaro shops. This was made in the Paris location.

Tavy
Apr-23-2015, 4:38am
Cristofaro's are completely bonkers, but I do like them :)

3step
Apr-23-2015, 7:07am
I definitely thought it looked a little different at first too. With the offset sound hole and the bridge extension going around that, I wondered how it would sound. I'm glad I bought it. I love the sound, and it just looks the way it should to me now - like a De Cristofaro.

brunello97
Apr-23-2015, 9:31am
Paul, I have a De Cristofaro bowlback with a top / front-side nearly identical to yours. Mine was a wreck when I got it and it took a while to get it up and playable. I dig the flat / bulgy back version you have.

I also like the sound and playability on it. It has a very good low end and mid range. The iconic soundhole does seem to bias the bass response on mine. It is a modest model from them.

Not sure why they haven't received their due, maybe their looks scare folks off, or maybe the Embergher / Calace / Vinaccia troika remains fixed in folks minds. I have my eye out for a higher grade model of their work.

Mick

3step
Apr-23-2015, 10:33am
I knew there had to be some more out there. I'd be interested in hearing the difference in sound with the bowlback version. I always thought bowlbacks had a sharp crisp sound in the high registers. I haven't played enough of them to have an educated perspective on that though. Hard to find them in the music stores around here. I saw a few around for sale online. Hope you are enjoying yours as well Mick.