PDA

View Full Version : I need information about a Carlson signed Flatiron A

Bill Foss
Apr-21-2015, 7:11pm
I have a friend with a Flatiron A5-2 she bought in 1985 and is the original owner. It's in excellent condition but has a couple of dings. It sounds wonderful.

It is signed by Steve Carlson.

Here are my questions: It looks like it has no truss rod (there is no truss rod cover on the headstock). Did these have any kind of neck reinforcement? Like carbon fiber? The neck is in great shape and plays well.

The serial number is 84090401. Does that mean it was made in 1984, September?

What is the difference between an A5-2 and an A5-1 like this one at: Intermountain:http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/inventory/Used%20Mandolins

(scroll down to find the Flatiron)?

Thanks for any information you might have.

3rdegree
Apr-22-2015, 7:13am
Hi Bill, I just bought the 1984 Flatiron A5-2 that was in the classifieds last week. I was a bit surprised myself that there was no visible truss rod. While mine is also in great shape and plays great, we noticed a 1/2" dark colored strip of wood running the length of the neck right in the middle. My fiddle player thinks there may be a truss rod in it but that it is adjusted from inside the body. Also that it could just be a steel rod inserted that gives it rigidity but is not adjustable.

I am simply in love with this instrument, I played it at 3 shows last weekend and everyone raved about it. The real surprise was how well it sounded when mic'ed up. Incredible bell tones and responds without much effort. I found myself having to back off the instrument after playing a Jam Master for 2 years that I had to "coax" my sound from.

Also, I believe the only difference in the A5-2 and A51 was a matter of upgraded bindings, inlay, etc. I'm interested to hear the Cafe's knowledge of this issue. In the meantime, here are some pics of my new baby!

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 7:38am
Hi 3rdegree,
Thanks for the information. I don't see a 1/2" strip on mine at all. But ditto on the tone! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for yours? I will most likely wind up trying to sell this one. Thanks.

bradlaird
Apr-22-2015, 7:49am
Here is a link to the 1985 Flatiron sales brochure with the specs as printed: http://www.bradleylaird.com/blog-articles/blog-22-flatiron-bro.html Perhaps this will be helpful.

Also, here are some scans of Flatiron ads from the period: http://www.bradleylaird.com/blog-articles/blog-06-flatiron.html

fatt-dad
Apr-22-2015, 8:39am
They are both x-braced. The differences are cosmetic. No adjustable truss rod. Great instruments! I loved my 84 a5-1!

f-d

DataNick
Apr-22-2015, 8:47am
Hey Brian!

Nice, a bass player with 5 mandos! You've got it bad brotha...LOL!

Hey, bring the Flatty to Pahrump next weekend so I can check her out!

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 12:00pm
Bradley (awesome website!) and fatt-dad, thanks for the information. There's an '87 Flatiron A5 in the classifieds now for $2,800. Does that sound reasonable?

3rdegree
Apr-22-2015, 1:18pm
Bill, the 1984 I just bought went for $3100 including shipping. No dings, scratches, etc. Hope that helps.

Nick. I'll definitely bring it to Pahrump, you're really gonna love this thing. And yes, 5 mandos for a bass player may indicate some sort of neurosis. ; )

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 2:53pm
Hi 3rdegree,
Thanks for sharing that information. The one I have has some dents and dings, but is structurally sound and tight. No issues. So it will fetch less than $3,100 I'm sure. I'm still wondering if they used any kind of reinforcement in the neck? The information Bradley passed along did not mention it.

DataNick
Apr-22-2015, 3:04pm
Hey Bill, you might wanna try sending a PM to Steve Carlson. He checks in ever so often on the Cafe...

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 3:31pm
Hey Bill, you might wanna try sending a PM to Steve Carlson. He checks in ever so often on the Cafe...

Cool, I'll try it!

UncleNorm
Apr-22-2015, 6:13pm
Bill...from what I see in the old ads, and know from having owned several Flatirons including F's and A's, and from what I see when I look inside my 1984 A5-2, there IS a truss rod. There are two nuts (two rods?), vertical, in the neck block, accessible from the inside of the instrument as suggested by your fiddle player.
The 1/2" dark colored strip talked about is probably the "ham in the sandwich" when a three piece laminated neck is made...my A5-2 has a three piece neck with a thin, maybe 1/8" thick, black strip running the length of the neck. A5-1 necks didn't always have that strip. The strip was meant to stiffen the neck....make it stable. Hope this helps.

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 6:56pm
Thanks Uncle Norm. I'll look inside the A5-2 when I get home.

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 8:57pm
Uncle Norm, you are right! When I shine a flashlight into the treble f hole and look through the bass f hole I can see one nut for a truss rod.

fatt-dad
Apr-22-2015, 9:05pm
These Flatirons have a mortise and tenon neck joint, which uses a bolted connection as an internal clamp while the glue sets. Now, I'm not saying you don't see a bolt or two. I'm just wondering whether it's for an adjustment at the end of a truss rod.

f-d

fatt-dad
Apr-22-2015, 9:49pm
here's some information on the early a5's

f-d

Bill Foss
Apr-22-2015, 9:52pm
These Flatirons have a mortise and tenon neck joint, which uses a bolted connection as an internal clamp while the glue sets. Now, I'm not saying you don't see a bolt or two. I'm just wondering whether it's for an adjustment at the end of a truss rod.

f-d

Thanks fatt-dad. Maybe Mr. Carlson is the only one who can answer this one with authority. Your question is valid. It would seem to me very difficult to make adjustments to a truss rod where you had to stick your wrench through the f hole (somehow that sounds so dirty!).

Ken Waltham
Apr-23-2015, 12:26pm
Those rods and nuts are not the truss rod. They are how the neck is attached to the neck block, as stated earlier in this thread. All Flatirons were built that way. These WERE NOT a dovetail joint, like the new Gibsons. Even the Montana Gibsons were built this way.

Bill Foss
Apr-23-2015, 2:57pm
I think we've answered the question, thanks Ken!