PDA

View Full Version : A unique Gibson Ajr

Goodin
Apr-17-2015, 9:54pm
Here is a unique Gibson Ajr with a Gibson logo and flower pot inlay. The owner says it is from 1921 but the serial number is not legible. Has anyone seen an Ajr with this headstock treatment? I am certain that the logo, flowerpot, and neck are original to the mandolin.

F-2 Dave
Apr-17-2015, 11:14pm
Nope. Never seen a flowerpot A jr before. But then, there are lots of things I've never seen before. I like it.

mrmando
Apr-17-2015, 11:39pm
None of that inlay looks like factory work to me. Headstock would have been plain black originally.

This should have a FON stamped inside, which could help establish the year of manufacture.

houseworker
Apr-18-2015, 2:08am
As Martin says, that inlay work definitely isn't factory. Far too many things wrong, but for a starter they've missed off the dot above the i.

houseworker
Apr-18-2015, 3:40am
I'm not convinced that the fretboard is original either.

houseworker
Apr-18-2015, 4:10am
It's also difficult to be certain that the headstock is original. Obviously the tuners are replacements, but the shape appears poorly defined compared to known examples. And why does it taper in at the top - on both sides?

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2015, 7:08am
...for a starter they've missed off the dot above the i.

There are a whole lot of suspect Gibson instruments that came out of the factory in Kalamazoo then. There was a time that Gibson missed that same dot for years. It wasn't part of their headstock logo. That's not an indicator you can rely on.

Goodin
Apr-18-2015, 9:57am
Here are some more pics of the back of the headstock and neck, which will show why I thought it was all original. If it was a replacement neck, or headstock veneer, or inlays, it was done shortly after the mandolin was made. The wear conforms with rest of the instrument. Yes tuners obviously replaced.

I've got my '24 F-4 out...the flowerpot does look a bit sloppy on the ajr, but The Gibson logo looks very close, the only difference is the in the "T". Could be non-Gibson inlays...but done long ago.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2015, 10:55am
From what I can see the tuners have been changed and some inlay may have been added. The tuners recently, the inlay possibly a long time ago. It's a player, play it and enjoy it. Keep in mind every single Stradivarius violin in the world has been modified in some way. If a mandolin is played parts will be replaced or repaired. People have been hotrodding cars and musical instruments since before cars were invented. This is not the rare holy grail missing link mandolin that proves or disproves anything, it's just a nice old Gibson AJr, a mandolin sought by many as an inexpensive way to get that Gibson sound.

Ken Waltham
Apr-18-2015, 11:13am
I don't believe that any of the inlay is original. It's way off the norm, and is done by an exuberant amateur.

mandroid
Apr-18-2015, 12:00pm
My A now has side dots in the fingerboard because I paid someone to put then there,
but the paddle-head , face.. is still painted Black.
just 1 bump up from A-jr, it has top edge binding and 1 ring around the bound soundhole

T.D.Nydn
Apr-18-2015, 1:20pm
The flower pot is off center from the base,I don't think Gibson would be that careless..

T.D.Nydn
Apr-18-2015, 1:23pm
I think the "messiah" is an untouched stradivarius......

houseworker
Apr-18-2015, 1:54pm
I think the "messiah" is an untouched stradivarius......

Not so. The neck was modified by its then owner, the Parisian luthier and dealer Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume, to bring it up to contemporary standards in the 19th Century.

T.D.Nydn
Apr-18-2015, 2:15pm
Ok,I guess it's unplayed not untouched...but the flower pot is still off center......

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2015, 5:28pm
The flower pot is off center from the base,I don't think Gibson would be that careless..

The inlay isn't original and probably wasn't done by Gibson but you should take a trip through the mandolin archive and look at the inlay on the flowerpots. Some are just awful. The actual workmanship on binding and scrolls on those early Gibson's wasn't always spectacular. Some was pretty shoddy. I think the bigger problem with the flower pot on this is that it's way out of scale compared to most everything I've ever seen. The logo is pretty close for some of the later years. The inlay material used on the flower pot and logo doesn't even remotely match up.

Charles E.
Apr-18-2015, 7:07pm
And why in the world would any one think that Gibson would put a flower pot and the Gibson inlay on a Ajr?! Duh.

mtucker
Apr-18-2015, 7:20pm
I think the bigger problem with the flower pot on this is that it's way out of scale compared to most everything I've ever seen.
you noticed that too? ....:grin:

Darryl Wolfe
Apr-20-2015, 10:03am
Originality ends right after the $3.50 for the Coors light and the "Chucks" under the table

Goodin
Apr-20-2015, 12:34pm
Originality ends right after the $3.50 for the Coors light and the "Chucks" under the table

Haha! I'm pretty sure the chucks are original too;). This was at our local Irish session. A friend brought this Ajr, and I reckon I got excited and jumped onto posting on the Cafe before checking the authenticity of the inlays. They looked original to me but I must have had my beer goggles on. The owner bought it 20 years ago and paid $700 for it. Great sounding and playing little mandolin!