PDA

View Full Version : Testing the theory

MikeEdgerton
Apr-17-2015, 2:50pm
I hear tell them Shmergel Devastators are amazing instruments. A man or woman would be mighty proud to own one of them doggies. Just sayin'.

Jackgaryk
Apr-17-2015, 3:17pm
I hear tell them "doggies" are pretty expensive too. they say if a man or a woman has to ask the price, they can't afford one.

jaycat
Apr-17-2015, 3:28pm
Too bad they started making the Annihilator line overseas.

FLATROCK HILL
Apr-17-2015, 3:38pm
I've been biding my time, just waiting for a moment like this to offer my Devastator in the Classifieds.
Now that a spotlight has been focused on my 'wait-for-the-hype' strategy, I'm having second thoughts.

stevedenver
Apr-17-2015, 3:45pm
I had an 02 in blonde, pretty rare, with side port air adjustment, no longer offered. I had to sell it to help my sick mother.

I miss that SD a lot. I think its in Grisman's collection now.

allenhopkins
Apr-17-2015, 3:59pm
Youse guys think you're pretty clever, doncha?

I know not one of you has a Shmergel Devastator. If you did, you'd be addictively playing it every waking hour, and would never spare the time for such mundane pursuits as posting on this website.

For your information, there is currently a 17-year waiting list for ownership of a Shmergel Devastator -- that is, if a new source for old-growth Zanzibarian spruce can be located. Sure, that spruce is only used for the marquetry purfling around the inner edge of the third scroll, but no Devastator will be built until exacting requirements for specific materials are satisfied. Apparently the last few trees on Zanzibar were logged by black-market miscreants working for some American guitar/mandolin company whose name begins with "G," leading to well-documented Federal commando raids on a nondescript warehouse on the outskirts of Nashville.

Much as I admire the Shmergel Devastator, and desire to own one myself, my last few years are speeding by without yet having attained the the Nirvana-like zenith of mandolin possession. So must I spend life's twilight in longing...

Q: What's the difference between a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5 and a Shmergel Devastator?

A: The Shmergel Devastator doesn't wish it were a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5!

Tobin
Apr-17-2015, 4:19pm
I've been biding my time, just waiting for a moment like this to offer my Devastator in the Classifieds.
Now that a spotlight has been focused on my 'wait-for-the-hype' strategy, I'm having second thoughts.
Devastators cannot be photographed. They cause instant flash-fires in camera lenses. So good luck with trying to sell an instrument like this without a photo.

MysTiK PiKn
Apr-17-2015, 4:29pm
ahhhhhhhhh, such eloquence............... were we in Zanzibar where the wood was when we weren't where we were when the wonderwood wasn't known anyway, we would wonder not that same was reserved by those who were aware. O well. Pardon my Zanzibarian, would you? thx.
:popcorn:

David Rambo
Apr-17-2015, 6:24pm
I understand that after you have played a Devastator, you will never be satisfied by any other mandolin. (That includes Loar's, also. Sorry guys.)

OldSausage
Apr-17-2015, 6:28pm
This thread nearly made me put mine up for sale.

Charles E.
Apr-17-2015, 7:16pm
Sooo....just what theory is being tested? :confused:

darylcrisp
Apr-17-2015, 7:17pm
i was just recently gifted one that i found in my grandmothers closet. never knew it was there.

i think it has Kliptow tuners on it, not for sure so i need to take some pics and show here to find out.
anyways, off to Gruhns next week for an inspection/value estimate.

will show pics when i get it all set up
d

**think i may "speedneck" it this weekend, do you think that will ruin value?

Emmett Marshall
Apr-17-2015, 7:33pm
FYI: Mr. Schmergel, feeling publically insulted, once slapped a man in the face who compared his Devastator to a Gibson Lloyd Loar at a festival in Berlin.

Schmergel Slaps Man: Berlinfest 06/1982

brunello97
Apr-17-2015, 8:08pm
Since I can't wait until I have saved enough money to buy a real one, I decided to buy a Chinese made "The Schmergel" from an on-line dealer. It really looks just like the Devastator for a lot less money.

I'm going to start a thread myself: "Proud 'The Schmergel' Owners: Let's See 'Em!"

Mick

Tobin
Apr-17-2015, 10:16pm
Sooo....just what theory is being tested? :confused:

The bait has now been cast. We wait for one (or several) to show up in the classifieds.

Steve VandeWater
Apr-17-2015, 10:36pm
I have a knockoff called a Smiegel Demonstrator. Not quite a Schmergel, but she plays like butter with a great woody tone. Lovingly named "My Precious".

bigskygirl
Apr-17-2015, 11:05pm
.....**think i may "speedneck" it this weekend, do you think that will ruin value?

No, nothing.....and I mean nothing.....can devalue a Schmergel...

F-2 Dave
Apr-17-2015, 11:29pm
I hear tell them Shmergel Devastators are amazing instruments. A man or woman would be mighty proud to own one of them doggies. Just sayin'.

One does not own a Shmergel.

Bill Snyder
Apr-18-2015, 12:32am
From the Shmergel website (http://shmergelinstruments.webs.com/pricingandavailability.htm):
"Unfortunately anyone that has to inquire about the price of a Devastator is neither able to afford one nor appreciate the full worth of our instruments.

The act of crafting an instrument of this caliber is a painstaking process and can take many years, but you can secure your place on our waiting list by sending us copies of your latest income taxes, net worth statement and checking account information. If you qualify for purchase we will let you know and deduct your deposit from your checking account."

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2015, 7:14am
This thread has been up since yesterday at 3:50 PM and not a single one has shown up in the classifieds. I assumed that by now we would have seen at least one. I'm kind of disappointed but people that own them rarely part with them.

FLATROCK HILL
Apr-18-2015, 8:27am
This thread has been up since yesterday at 3:50 PM and not a single one has shown up in the classifieds. I assumed that by now we would have seen at least one. I'm kind of disappointed but people that own them rarely part with them.

I'm just relieved to see that you didn't list your own Shmergel. The thought of a moderator going 'rogue' would be devastating!:disbelief:

OldSausage
Apr-18-2015, 9:30am
There was one actually, but I lost my Internet connection for 5 seconds and when I reloaded the page it had been taken down.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-18-2015, 10:58am
Well, this proves that nobody is immune. :cool: