PDA

View Full Version : Peghead Nation - Any users?

TEvans
Apr-17-2015, 12:11pm
Wondering if anyone has been using the Peghead Nation mandolin courses.

Joe Walsh is one of my favorite players, so I really like the idea of doing the lessons from him, but I also know that I really enjoy time with an instructor in person.

Has anyone used this site, and if so, how is the experience?
Thanks!

3Pinner
Apr-27-2015, 8:20pm
Yep, I'm using Peghead Nation. At the moment I'm in the beginning course but I've checked out Mr. Walshs course. I'd say you get out of either course exactly what you put in. I'm visually impaired so I can't say my criteria are the same as most other folks but I'd recommend giving me' a shot. I think you can do a month for $20 and if your not satisfied just drop the subscription.

I'm looking at Artistworks Mike Marshall course at the moment, know anything about that course?

TEvans
Apr-28-2015, 10:46am
I've just watched some of the Artist Works videos on YouTube. Seems like it is a cool program.

I think Mike Marshall said something in one of them that advocates for this type of lessons. He talked about traditional lesson formats where you sit down with your instructor. You tune, get out all your books, talk about your week, and then eventually get to the music, and you only have 20 minutes left. Not to mention you are nervous to play in front of the player that you are in constant awe of. So your nerves are high and you don't play well.

With Artistworks and Peghead, you have time to watch, re-watch, analyze and do all of those things and really take your time.
And you are in the comfort of your living room.

I think I need to give it a go. I really enjoy the in person style of lessons, as I just like to play music with people. So I'm not certain how I'll like the online lessons.

Pick&Grin
May-10-2015, 3:53pm
Hey guys,

I just started Mike Marshall's mandolin school on Artistworks and am very impressed!

The lessons are really easy to follow and most helpful (you can loop bits, as needed for repetition). I also like that he gives backing guitar-tracks at two speeds.

The best part, for me, is that you can send videos of your playing for Mike to review and he'll send a response video: just sent off my first one and am looking forward to his tips/suggestions. There's also a whole catalogue of other students' video submissions, along with Mike's responses, which is proving really helpful to go through.

johngdon
Feb-06-2016, 4:02pm
I am brand new to mandolin (or any instrument, really). I rented a mandolin a month ago and started doing Sharon Gilchrist's beginning mandolin course on Peghead Nation. I have really enjoyed the course. I like the challenge of learning by ear. The videos focus on playing melody, not rhythm, so I haven't learned many chords yet, but I see that more of that is coming in later videos. I have learned the first four songs pretty easily; they seem to be getting progressively more difficult, but on the other hand I am learning each one faster than the previous one. I play on average about 45 minutes to an hour per day. The videos are well organized, high quality, and follow a format, so you can pretty easily go back and find the part that you want to review again without too much hunting. So far there are three mandolin courses -- probably a couple years worth of material for a beginner like me. I imagine at some point I'll add in a class, some workshops, or some lessons in order to get some feedback on my playing, but I can't see how any of those would replace the video coursework.

darylcrisp
Feb-06-2016, 5:13pm
I've been subbed to artistworks for a year, I think its excellent. my usual time for acquiring instruction is 3am-hard to find a live instructor at those times. I enjoy looking back as often as I want to review lessons/videos. the sound and videography are superb.
I did check out peghead nation and found the video and lessons just as good. they have well known teachers as well.
not sure on cost breakdown for each.

another excellent video lesson teacher is Mandolessons.com
I've been watching/learning from mandolessons.com more and more lately(I like Barons arrangements and teaching style)

all 3 are excellent, give'm all a free trial and see which instructor meets your needs
d

Mike Rodbell
Aug-12-2016, 9:34am
Been using ArtistWorks w/Mike Marshall for a few weeks now & just received his feedback. I've learned a ton & am impressed with the value. Even absent his direct feedback, getting to view his student's submissions with his response is invaluable. Add to that, recording myself, seeing the recording and getting his comments are really helpful. What a deal! Compare $30/month (if you purchase for 3 month increments) to a typical teacher who would charge more than $30 for a 30 minute lesson (for someone good), this is an incredible deal. Mike's feedback is pointed, very constructive. There's so much to learn!

Loretta Callahan
Aug-14-2016, 10:54pm
Yes, I've been taking Irish mandolin lessons. They are great. However, since Friday, I cannot access my lessons. I've sent three emails, opened a ticket ... nothing. I triple checked to make sure I'm paid up .... I'm not a happy camper. And yes, I've tried different browsers. Honestly, I've never had a website ignore emails or tickets ... even if it's just a auto reply email .... it means something.

Peghead, if you're out there, please fix your site.

When, or if, this situation changes, I'll let folks know. :(

Br1ck
Aug-15-2016, 11:49am
I am brand new to mandolin (or any instrument, really). I rented a mandolin a month ago and started doing Sharon Gilchrist's beginning mandolin course on Peghead Nation. I have really enjoyed the course. I like the challenge of learning by ear. The videos focus on playing melody, not rhythm, so I haven't learned many chords yet, but I see that more of that is coming in later videos. I have learned the first four songs pretty easily; they seem to be getting progressively more difficult, but on the other hand I am learning each one faster than the previous one. I play on average about 45 minutes to an hour per day. The videos are well organized, high quality, and follow a format, so you can pretty easily go back and find the part that you want to review again without too much hunting. So far there are three mandolin courses -- probably a couple years worth of material for a beginner like me. I imagine at some point I'll add in a class, some workshops, or some lessons in order to get some feedback on my playing, but I can't see how any of those would replace the video coursework.

I applaud your effort. If you are playing that much, you really ought to buy a mandolin, the best you can afford. It will reward you with years of joy. You can get a nice mandolin from the classifieds. I just sold a nice Eastman 505 very reasonably, and there are many like me moving up the chain.

Michael Neverisky
Aug-15-2016, 12:24pm
I dip into Peghead Nation every once in a while for a month's worth of inspiration. As when the Mike Compton lessons went live and, more recently, I paid for a month to see how Joe Walsh went about teaching Jessamyn's Reel. (Spoiler: he does his usual excellent presentation).

Dan Gabel
Aug-15-2016, 1:00pm
Hello Loretta,

So sorry you were having issues on Peghead Nation and that you didn't get our responses to your access problem. Did you get my email from last night about this?

Our records show that we re-instated your access to the Irish Mandolin course at 1:57pm on Saturday, August 13 after receiving three tickets from you between 1:42pm and 1:45pm. Scott sent a reply (from scott(at)pegheadnation.com) to apologize and let you know that he'd fixed your access to the course. Perhaps that response and the one I sent went to a different email folder?

Again, sorry about missing each other. We aim to be as responsive as possible with any issues on Peghead Nation.

Thank you,
Dan

Dan Gabel
Co-founder and Executive Producer, Peghead Nation

Loretta Callahan
Aug-15-2016, 1:44pm
Thanks, Dan .... I received emails last night and the site is working now.

I am really enjoying the class so glad I'm able to resume it.

Cheers,

Loretta

Hello Loretta,

So sorry you were having issues on Peghead Nation and that you didn't get our responses to your access problem. Did you get my email from last night about this?

Our records show that we re-instated your access to the Irish Mandolin course at 1:57pm on Saturday, August 13 after receiving three tickets from you between 1:42pm and 1:45pm. Scott sent a reply (from scott(at)pegheadnation.com) to apologize and let you know that he'd fixed your access to the course. Perhaps that response and the one I sent went to a different email folder?

Again, sorry about missing each other. We aim to be as responsive as possible with any issues on Peghead Nation.

Thank you,
Dan

Dan Gabel
Co-founder and Executive Producer, Peghead Nation

Dan Gabel
Aug-15-2016, 4:40pm
Ok, Loretta. I'm glad you're in and enjoying the course!

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks, Dan .... I received emails last night and the site is working now.

I am really enjoying the class so glad I'm able to resume it.

Cheers,

Loretta

dulcillini
Aug-16-2016, 7:24am
I am taking Marla Fibish's class. It is very good. No complaints at all.

Fretfet2
Aug-16-2016, 11:39am
I am a member of peg head nation. I really love it! Instructional videos are broken down into sections. It is presented at a slow pace , then played at a more moderate tempo with rhythm backup. There are also play along tracks which allow for the melody to be practiced over chord progression . PDFs are available for print out . Each selection has a new technique or concept so the lessons constantly are advancing your skill level. I would definitely advise . I also take lessons from an instruction in the community, but often use this material to work on. I have been very satisfied! Love the fact that you can pay by the month $20.00 per class . Where can you get a lesson for that? Cancel or change classes anytime you desire!!! Excellent instructors! You should try it.

indexless
Aug-16-2016, 4:30pm
I'm using Peghead as well and echo the above reasons. the software works well, the classes are varied and they are all really nice people, highly recommended.

NewKid
Aug-18-2016, 9:24am
I'm taking Joe Walsh's Advancing Mandolinist course and really like his teaching style and great playing. The music and tabs that accompany the lessons are very helpful and I also love the play along tracks. At $20 per month, this is a great value to me.

wildpikr
Aug-18-2016, 9:38am
Is Peghead Nation a video exchange format similar to Artist works or simply access to specific instructors/lessons?

PiginaPen
Jun-12-2017, 11:04am
Is Peghead Nation a video exchange format similar to Artist works or simply access to specific instructors/lessons?

Ive never been able to access a lesson (it's not tablet/ipad friendy) though it appears it's like mandolessons.com but not free.

indexless
Jun-12-2017, 4:56pm
I love it, I'm taking Sharon Gilchrest's intermediate class, it's great, I dial in when I can, 20 bucks a month is well worth it

Mark Miller
Jun-12-2017, 6:42pm
I too recently started with Mike Marshall. I am blown away. I have one set of feedback from him and already it is completely changing my orientation to the mandolin. Great pointed feedback on fundamentals. Plus watching him do all these lessons I am starting to internalize his relaxed right and left hands. It's by far the best thing I've ever done for my playing.

Mike Stewart
Jun-12-2017, 7:36pm
Ive never been able to access a lesson (it's not tablet/ipad friendy)

Eh? I use an iPad to access the lessons and bounce them to the Apple TV at least once a week (or just view them on the iPad). Works loverly. Without more detail, I have no idea what the problem might be on your end, though.

sj9
Jun-13-2017, 8:56pm
I use peghead nation and really like the Joe Walsh and Shannon Gilchrist courses. It has definitely improved my playing.

Bill Foss
Jun-13-2017, 9:19pm
I gotta put in a word for Mike Compton. I subscribe to his Monroe style lessons on Peghead. I've had no problem with access. There isn't a better Monroe style video series out there if that's what you're looking for.

Ausdoerrt
Jun-14-2017, 5:36am
I've signed up for one of their free trials on occasion, but then stopped because I could barely find the time to practice.

The lessons are generally quite good, though, for giving you the basics of the chosen style. Marla Fibish's Irish mando course is particularly good about this, because she goes into detail about the peculiarities of the style and associated technique before jumping into the tunes.

Joe Walsh's intermediate course felt a bit 'basic' to me in this regard, but he does teach some cool tunes.

And a big thumbs up to the Bruce Molsky OT violin course, I just wish I had the time to go through them all :/

UsuallyPickin
Jun-14-2017, 8:47am
Peghead Nation lessons with Joe Walsh are well made and consist of interesting material. Joe is a good teacher in this medium. I look forward to someday catching a workshop with him. I have also taken lessons with Sharon Gilchrist , another Peghead teacher, and she is also an excellent teacher. R/

Stevo75
Jun-14-2017, 9:07am
I'm also subscribed to Joe Walsh's lessons. He does a great job and I love the song selection (trad bluegrass plus a lot of Dawg/swing stuff).

I also like Sharon Gilchrist's videos. I switch back and forth between the two.

You can't download and save the videos but you can print out the tab.

Dan Gabel
Jun-14-2017, 12:10pm
Ive never been able to access a lesson (it's not tablet/ipad friendy) though it appears it's like mandolessons.com but not free.

Hi PiginaPen,
Sorry you were having trouble with Peghead Nation. The responsive design for mobile devices on the site is functioning, so you should be able to access blogs, subscribe to instructional courses, and watch videos on your tablet without a problem. If you'd like to send me a direct message at dan(at)pegheadnation.com with some of the details of what you're experiencing, I'm happy to help you work it out.

Thanks, and again, sorry for the inconvenience,
Dan Gabel
Co-Founder and Executive Producer, Peghead Nation

Chris Daniels
Jun-14-2017, 12:46pm
I've been using Joe Walsh's Peghead Nation lessons for a while. The song selections are of a nice variety and Joe makes them accessible and easy enough to learn as long as you have the requisite chops.

My biggest gripe is that occasionally the fundamental concepts behind some of the lessons are not as well described as the mechanics of playing the songs themselves. Learning cool tunes is fun and a great way to impress friends and family, but I'm also wanting a deeper understanding of playing mandolin. I can usually figure them out, either by re-watching a few times, listening carefully when it's hard to see exactly what he is doing, or pairing with external research. This may not be a limitation of the format but of how my brain learns so YMMV.

That being said, it's only $20 a month which is still a great deal for all that you can get out of it. I must admit that I am considering (temporarily?) cancelling my subscription because I'm currently focused on nailing down specific tunes to be used in an upcoming Mando camp in August, with any extra time used for improv theory and playing techniques that are outside the scope of the Peghead lessons. Only having time for learning songs online once or twice a month makes it harder to justify paying for them.

C.

Stevo75
Jun-14-2017, 1:51pm
I've been using Joe Walsh's Peghead Nation lessons for a while. The song selections are of a nice variety and Joe makes them accessible and easy enough to learn as long as you have the requisite chops.

My biggest gripe is that occasionally the fundamental concepts behind some of the lessons are not as well described as the mechanics of playing the songs themselves. Learning cool tunes is fun and a great way to impress friends and family, but I'm also wanting a deeper understanding of playing mandolin. I can usually figure them out, either by re-watching a few times, listening carefully when it's hard to see exactly what he is doing, or pairing with external research. This may not be a limitation of the format but of how my brain learns so YMMV.
C.

I think he does a pretty good job of explaining the "why" as well as the "how". For example, on Cuckoo's Nest he talks about the melody following the arpeggios of each chord. For the Grisman tunes, it gets a little more complicated and it would digress too much (in my opinion) to explain why each piece of a melody works. Usually, if you know your scales and arpeggios, you can figure it out. A lot of times, there is no "why", it just sounds cool and it's in the key of the song so that's all there is to it. Other times, it could probably get really complicated (like "this is a tri-tone substitution for ..." yada yada yada). For me personally, I just want to learn how to play the songs and get a tip or bit of advice here and there.

mgap
Jun-14-2017, 11:20pm
Joe Walsh teaches on Peghead Nation? I did not even know he played mandolin, wow. That seems like a pretty big score for Scott Nygaard and company.

CES
Jul-02-2017, 12:00pm
Not the Eagles guy ;)

Steve-o
Jul-02-2017, 1:00pm
Not the Eagles guy ;)

:)) Perhaps that's why he always introduces himself as "Joe K Walsh."

I've been subscribed to his lessons for several months and really enjoy his tune selection and teaching.

Cary Fagan
Jul-02-2017, 1:16pm
I'm working through Mike Compton's lessons. I'm more of a Monroe style player (or wannabe) so they're very good for me. He seems to have chosen songs with breaks that have different approaches--sliding double stops, downstrokes, bluesy, arpeggios.... Like all lessons, I think they're most useful if you expand on them yourself. For example, I took a Monroe lick over the five chord in A and used it in a different song someone played in our jam. And when someone sang a 3/4 time song with the same chords as "How Will I Explain About You" which Compton teaches, I adapted that break and it worked well.

I've also gone through Mike Marshall on Artistworks. He's very good, though for me personally there wasn't enough new material. Overall, these online courses seem to me well worth the money.