PDA

View Full Version : Mando Setup

mandoJeremy
Apr-13-2005, 6:21am
I just got in from Nashville and while I was there I took my Bush model by for Dave Harvey to set up and I have got to tell you guys that I am thoroughly impressed with him. I have never been able to find anyone that could set my mando up like he just did! It is like I have a brand new mando and he did everything I asked for perfectly and the sound and playability are unbelievable! No financial interest of course but if any of you guys have a mando that needs setting up I would definitely contact Dave regardless of what brand of mando it is. He is now number one in my book.

Kevin K
Apr-13-2005, 7:30am
Dave does a good mandolin setup as well as upright bass. We stopped by the shop a couple of years ago late one Saturday afternoon and I asked him to please take a few minutes for once over. BIG difference with just the minor adjustments he made in playability, sound and tone.
Trip to Nashville is worth it.

mandoJeremy
Apr-14-2005, 12:37am
Good setup?...I would say that he is very great. Most of the pro players you guys are listening to have their mandos set up by Dave. He has got it without a doubt.

philc
Apr-14-2005, 4:32am
Where does Dave work? I live in Louisville and would like to have him go over my Bush model but am not sure how to get in touch with him. I have heard many good things about the quality of his work.

Kevin K
Apr-14-2005, 7:31am
Dave was down town Nashville at the Valley Arts Store but heard he might be moving to the showcase at Opry Mills.
mandoJeremy do you know for sure?

DorothyD
Apr-14-2005, 9:00am
Dave is definitely at the Gibson Showcase, Opry Mills Mall in Nashville. He is the most talented person you will ever meet. #My mandolin is there now...waiting for a set-up. Definitely contact him...you will never be sorry!

Dorothy

mandopete
Apr-14-2005, 9:15am
Hey Jeremy - can you elaborate a little bit on exactly what was done?

Big Joe
Apr-14-2005, 10:08am
I can elaborate for Jeremy...anything and everything that needed to be done to make sure it played at its optimum ability. Dave is an artist in his own right and knows more about mandolin than most people do about anything. You can reach him through me. His work station is 50 feet from my desk. I will be happy to answer any questions or set up appointments. Thank you.

joe.vest@gibson.com

1-615-533-6830

mandoJeremy
Apr-14-2005, 10:53am
Pete, BigJoe basically summed it up with his answer. Dave did everything that was needed to make the mando play and sound great, which it does. Phil, I would definitely contact BigJoe to get an appointment for your Bush model. You will be surprised at the difference a setup by Dave will make in it.

kyblue
Apr-14-2005, 1:46pm
Big Joe,

Who from Gibson will be at First Quality on Saturday?

Thanks,

Paula

dan@kins
Apr-14-2005, 1:54pm
I'm not from Gibson but I'll be there Saturday. =)

Dave set my F9 up when I had it in for some finish work and a new nut (buffalo horn) and its the best set up I've ever had on any stringed instrument! The attention to detail is superb, hard to find in this day and time. . . .I still look at the slots in the nut I'm blown away at the craftsmanship.

Big Joe
Apr-14-2005, 3:08pm
I believe Lawson Peets, Tom Montgomery, and Todd Wright will be in Louisville at 1st quality. Great guys all. I am taking a much needed weekend off. I think I need one.

keith_rowan
Apr-14-2005, 3:10pm
anyone know of a luthier for mando setup in the Reading Pa area?

thanks
k

delsbrother
Apr-14-2005, 4:06pm
Joe, if I am the original owner of a Gibson, how much would it cost to have it "set up" by Dave? I'm thinking about putting new nuts on my A9 and F9.

Thanks,

Darrell

mandopete
Apr-14-2005, 6:57pm
Okay, can you be any more specific, did he...

A) Move the bridge up or down?
B) Adjust the truss-rod?
C) Mess with the nut?
D) File the frets?

Or all of the above? #I'm a bit curious as I have a mandolin that I like a lot, but I have always felt it was not set up properly and I stopped playing it a couple of years ago as result. #I've had various people look at it, but have never really gotten it dialed-in.

BTW - this is not a Gibson mandolin.

mandoJeremy
Apr-14-2005, 7:46pm
All of the above Pete and few other small things he did. I would Highly recommend sending your mando to him because if anyone can make it sound and play great it is Dave. I am now his biggest fan and no one will ever touch my mando again except for him. He's a great mando player also!

mandoJeremy
Apr-14-2005, 7:46pm
Is it your Collings mando?

Ken Waltham
Apr-14-2005, 7:49pm
Dave did a setup on my 1929 Fern F5. I had only one other "big name" guy from Oz work on a high end vintage mando for me, and he was unbeatable.... I never thought anyone could come close to his setup... until Dave did the '29.
He is awesome with setup work.
That mandolin plays better than any mandolin I've ever had my hands on, new or old.

Bobbie Dier
Apr-14-2005, 8:59pm
I'm just curious. I know it would be worth whatever he charges but.....What can I expect to pay? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jasper
Apr-14-2005, 10:34pm
Jeremy,

Everyone is curious...what did it cost you for the set up?

mandoJeremy
Apr-14-2005, 10:37pm
I had a few extra things done but the standard setup is $75.00 (BigJoe, correct me if I am wrong on that) and it goes up from there depending on what all you want done. The easiest way to find out is to contact BigJoe and tell him everything you want and I am sure he can give you a price.

dhmando
Apr-15-2005, 12:13am
Hello, this is David Harvey's wife, Jan. Thank you all for your kind words. I just read your postings to David over the phone and he is pleased. After 20 plus years in instrument setup and repair, David has had the opportunity to examine and work on nearly everything with strings. Some of the highlights, signed loar and 20's period f-5's, Orville Gibson period mandolin family and guitars, and fine italian, german, american and french violin family instruments, always put a gleam in his eye. He has restored instruments that have been run over by UPS trucks, been in house fires, floating in flooded basements, and in car accidents. He has seen it all and repaired it all. I don't know how he does it, but he will find the "sweet spot" (as he calls it) on any instrument, no matter the brand name or make. I've heard him say that he finds the balance between the original builder's specifications and the player's desires for playability and tonal output. David is proud to be part of the Gibson team and welcomes you to come see him at Opry Mills Mall in Nashville. His direct line at Gibson is 615-514-2200 ext. 2237. Keep in mind that he can't inspect an instrument over the phone. David has been with Gibson a little over a year, but has been pleasing the professional musicians here in Nashville for over a decade. Some of his clients are Alison Kraus, Sam Bush, Chris Thile, Ricky Skaggs, Buck White, Dave Rowe, Missy Raines, Barry Bales, Ben Issacs, Andrea Zonn, Glen Duncan, Stuart Duncan, and the list goes on and on. I know I'm braggin'! I am proud of David and his accomplishments. God has given him a talent and David is one of the fortunate people in the world that love what they do. As Jeremy mentioned earlier, David is a great player also. He currently can be found touring with Claire Lynch, The Gibson Mandolin Club or the Harley Allen Band. He also produced the rave Rounder release, Moody Bluegrass. For those of you planning on attending the IBMA convention this year in Nashville, come early and catch the stage debut of Moody Bluegrass at the Ryman, Oct. 23, 2005. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues is making preparation to be part of the show. Again, thank you for your kind praise. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Dale Ludewig
Apr-15-2005, 8:15am
This is not about David's setup work. I had the honor of jamming with him at a bluegrass festival in Naperville, IL, a couple weeks ago. I think we went from about 2-4 am. He had his distressed MM with him- a monster mandolin that played like a dream. (maybe he did the setup work.) Also had a Doyle Lawson model. There was bluegrass, blues, jazz, gypsy. He is a true gentleman, incredible player, and wonderful to be around. I was pushed past my limits in playing and was still "trembling" when I tried to sleep about 4:30.

AlanN
Apr-15-2005, 8:41am
Hi Jan, thanks for the post. David is just an ok guy, fair mandolin picker and so-so repair man. And my name is David Grisman!

- Alan Niederland

mandopete
Apr-15-2005, 9:15am
Is it your Collings mando?
No, this is a Lawrence Smart mandolin that I purchased used awhile back. #Seems like it developed a fairly harsh tone, especially in the uppper register (above the 5th fret). #I had it refretted and the repairman noticed the nut was cracked. He glued it back together, but the tone was still not right.

Jeremy - I'm also curious about the effect of the set-up work on your mandolin - did it improve the sound or the playability or both? #I have been wrestling with this problem for a couple of years and I would love to get the Smart mando functioning as is should. #It plays very nice and has a radiused fingerboard (I own two flat FB's) so it's good to have around.

Big Joe
Apr-15-2005, 10:13am
Hey Mandopete...Dave can improve both the playability and tone of your instrument. You will be amazed at the difference when he is finished.

Many have asked about cost and time. It depends on what must be done. Dave puts quite a bit of time in on a setup and each instrument is different. You can estimate a set up will run from 100-250 depending upon what all must be done. If it requires a new nut and reslotting the saddle, and refitting the bridge, and fret dressing and tailpiece work and tuner work, it can reach the upper end of the spectrum. Most mandolins will fall somewhere in the middle. Each is different. We will be happy to give an exact bid before any work is started so you will know what your cost will be before we start. Answering questions about cost to repair a mandolin is no easier than getting a mechanic to diagnose your automobile on the phone and give an exact cost. It is much easier to be exact when we have it in hand.

I also want to mention the other two guys that work with Dave in repair. Josh and Jackie are just as gifted in what they do. The team of the three of them gives us the best possible group of repair experts on the planet. No matter the problem, we can handle it. These guys are incredible on any acoustic repair whether it is mandolin, guitar, fiddle, banjo, or bass. They can do it all!

mandopete
Apr-15-2005, 12:12pm
Joe - thanks for the response! I'm located here in the Pacific Northwest. What is the nest way to handle this sort of thing from a distance?

Big Joe
Apr-18-2005, 9:59am
Hey Mandopete
I guess the best way is to just ship it to us so we can go over it. We will evaluate it for what it needs for optimum performance, and then contact you before any work is done. You then have the choice what you would like done. You can ship it to:

Gibson Bluegrass Showcase
161 Opry Mills Drive
Nashville, TN 37214
ATTN: Big Joe

Thank you.

mandoJeremy
Apr-20-2005, 1:44pm
Sorry I haven't responded yet Pete. I have been on the road playing and just got back in today. To answer your question, the setup improved the sound and the playability very, very much. I think your Smart would come out great in Dave's hands.