PDA

View Full Version : New Giacomel

LoneStar Boy
Apr-15-2015, 1:49pm
This should be leaving the land of Giacomel next week and headed to California. It will eventually make its way into Texas, hopefully sooner rather than later. Pretty excited!

Mark Seale
Apr-15-2015, 2:08pm
That's mighty fine! I love the jolly roger.

Tom C
Apr-15-2015, 2:16pm
Arrrrh..Love it

billhay4
Apr-15-2015, 4:09pm
Nice. Let us hear it when you get it.
Bill

mandobassman
Apr-15-2015, 4:53pm
Sweet! Can't wait to hear a demo. Do you still have your Monroe Gibson?

LoneStar Boy
Apr-15-2015, 8:56pm
Mandobassman,
I don't have the Monroe Gibson anymore. I sold it when I got my Gilchrist.

mandobassman
Apr-15-2015, 9:39pm
Sure enjoyed playing bass with you and Cory back in my days in Houston. Still have a pretty good recording of us playing at Steak and Ale that I listen to now and then. Glad to see you guys are still at it.

LoneStar Boy
Apr-21-2015, 7:59pm
Left Italy yesterday! Excitement builds!

LoneStar Boy
Apr-23-2015, 7:41pm
It reached California today. Dawg has it now, hopefully spanking her thoroughly!:mandosmiley:

mandroid
Apr-24-2015, 12:10pm
Wooden cover over a James TP?

mtucker
Apr-24-2015, 12:49pm
It reached California today. Dawg has it now, hopefully spanking her thoroughly!:mandosmiley:
Congrats and enjoy your New Beast! Now start boning up on your I-talian!! :grin:

5FlNBuS7YgM

LoneStar Boy
Apr-24-2015, 8:11pm
Mandroid, the tailpiece is built by Mr. Giacomel. Mtucker my I-talian always seems to have an East Texas accent. Mike Compton played it while in Italy and told me it was Real Good and real loud!

LoneStar Boy
Apr-25-2015, 8:27pm
Dawg told me it should be to me on Wednesday. Now to try and get some sleep between now and then.

dan in va
Apr-25-2015, 8:44pm
Hey Craig,

This is the first Giacomel i've seen in this color. It is a different animal and a really beautiful thing. Wow! i'm looking forward to more of your posts about it. Hope it exceeds your expectations.

dan

dcoventry
Apr-26-2015, 12:09am
What a thoroughly cool combination of modern design and classic coloration. That is just mighty, mighty fine.

LoneStar Boy
Apr-26-2015, 9:23pm
Mr. Grisman is shipping in a shaped case! But, I was wondering if anyone knew of other cases (preferably with storage) will fit the J5? Thanks for your help.

LoneStar Boy
Apr-29-2015, 10:24am
Just got word that it's delivered. Now, the wait until I can get home.

sgarrity
Apr-29-2015, 1:11pm
Can't wait to hear it!

GKWilson
Apr-29-2015, 1:37pm
tick…tock…tick…tock…tick…………..

LoneStar Boy
Apr-29-2015, 4:41pm
Although I haven't had much time with her yet, I have to say that she is a great mando! Beautiful coloring, IMO. I love the striped curly maple binding against the dark finish. While not at the level of finish that Gilchrist is (who is), very fine fit and finish.

I was shocked by the volume that was there as soon as I tuned her up. Wow! Peel the paint off the walls. Very clear and distinct noting against the fretboard.

Again, I haven't spent much time with her yet, but I intend to remedy that tonight. I've recorded some quick comparison videos between it and the Gilchrist right after she came out of the box. I'll post them here so you can see for yourself. After some playing, the Giacomel will be a great mandolin.

LoneStar Boy
Apr-29-2015, 5:05pm
The Gilchrist:
https://youtu.be/PYgsIi6S1mA

The Giacomel:
https://youtu.be/go__T1N_-C8

Let me know your thoughts.

barry
Apr-29-2015, 6:07pm
Very, very nice. Those are great instruments to have. They provide a versatile range. The Gil has the ideal bluegrass sound. Strong mids with a very substantive core that comes through well in an ensemble.
The Giacomel has more lushness. It has a fuller sound. It sounds very musical and seems as though it could stand on its' own in a very satisfying manner.

Congrats. Play them in good health!

MandoJason
May-01-2015, 9:20am
Wow, both are great sounding mandos! you've got your bases covered between those two Craig. Now that you've had the Giacomel a little while, what is your take on the instrument? I am looking into them as well. I have a Gil 97371 and an Ellis so I have diversity between these two great mandos but I'm always on the hunt! I'd love to hear your take since you've got a Gil to compare it to. Also, wonderful color!

LoneStar Boy
May-01-2015, 11:00am
Jason, both are great mandolins. There is no doubt that I'm set for whatever kind of music I want to play. What I notice is that the Gilchrist has a lot of initial sound or "pop" while the Giacomel has more sustain and a fuller tone. To be honest, I didn't think I would ever be around a mandolin that had as much volume as my Gil, but the Giacomel holds its own. I really don't believe they can be compared. They both have different goals that they're striving to obtain.

As I said, they are both great mandolins. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. Hope that helps some.

Ivan Kelsall
May-02-2015, 1:14am
From Craig above - "....while the Giacomel has more sustain and a fuller tone.". I love the Giacomel styling & that one is beautiful in every way. Just looking at the body shape makes me think of mandolin tone/sustain, slightly edging into 'guitar sound' on both counts. Either way,as a Bluegrass player,i'd give it an airing in ''Monroe territory'',just for the 'difference' - enjoy it,;)
Ivan:mandosmiley:

LoneStar Boy
May-02-2015, 10:01am
I plan to, Ivan. I think it will do very nicely, and this one has a much warmer tone than other Giacomels I've heard. It will definitely set me apart from the traditional, but I think the sound will fit very well.

Mark Seale
May-02-2015, 4:17pm
The Gilchrist:
https://youtu.be/PYgsIi6S1mA

The Giacomel:
https://youtu.be/go__T1N_-C8

Let me know your thoughts.

You done good! Come down to Austin and let's pick some tunes!

LoneStar Boy
May-02-2015, 9:13pm
Sounds good, Mark. Let me know when you have some time, and we'll make it happen.

LoneStar Boy
May-12-2015, 3:21pm
I have had her for about a month now. I'm amazed at the ease of play on this thing. She is definitely a different animal than the Gilchrist, but it's supposed to be that way. Both are great mandolins! I am one lucky guy!

sgarrity
May-12-2015, 3:31pm
I like the tone of the Giacomel. A big, full sound that still pops. I'd have a hard time deciding which one of those to grab and play. Two fine mandolins!

LoneStar Boy
May-30-2015, 10:58pm
Shaun,
I'm having that problem. I find myself playing a tune on one and then the other. They are both great, and I'm enjoying getting to know the nuances of each one. The Gilchrist has the bark, but the Giacomel has such a nice deep, earthy tone. It's full and resonates. Plus, it plays like "butter."

Bert Deivert
Jun-08-2015, 11:06am
It was great fun to hear your new Giacomel and the comparison Craig! Mine is warming up and I am going to put a Tone-Rite on it for a couple of weeks to see what happens. But right now it is the LOUDEST wooden mandolin I have ever owned. The National RM-1 is a tad louder. Both of your mandolins are beautiful looking, but I like the sound of the Giacomel better! Wow...

And I liked a Gilchrist better than a Gibson Loar I played at a dealer's in London 2 years ago.. So is the Giacomel better than a Gibson Loar? hmmm haha. Your Giacomel (and mine too) still sound "newish" but I would say the sound is going to mellow significantly. Mine is #86.

LoneStar Boy
Jun-12-2015, 6:52pm
Bert, I think it needs some blues played on it. Come to Texas, and we'll give her a good thumping. It keeps getting better all the time, and it plays so easy!

PH-Mando
Jun-14-2015, 6:53am
Wow! What a great set of mandolins. The giacomel sounds great. It can handle any style. Beautiful clear tone. However, the Gilchrist has the perfect Bluegrass sound. So, for bluegrass, play that Gilchrist. For everything else, grab the Giacomel. IMHO. Have fun.

LoneStar Boy
Jun-29-2015, 9:51pm
I really like to play the giacomel for the waltzes and blues. The Gil is great for Bluegrass. I'm going to be using both on stage to get the tones I need for the different tunes. Besides, I just think the Giacomel looks really cool!