PDA

View Full Version : Breedlove Crossover vs. Kentucky KM-150

jaycooper
Apr-15-2015, 10:36am
Hi all. I recently just purchased an Epiphone MM-30S over the Easter weekend, but after doing some more research, I realized I could get a better mandolin for not much more. Luckily, I am still within the 30 day return window so I can return the Epiphone and receive back the full price. I have narrowed down the search between the Kentucky KM-150 and the Breedlove Crossover. I am leaning more towards the Kentucky, but because Kyle at the Mando Shop has the Breedlove, I am considering that too. Do y'all have any suggestions about which one to go with or experience with either of them?

Thanks

jclover
Apr-15-2015, 11:09am
The necks are very different. Kentucky has a V shape with 1 1/8" nut. The Crossover has very thick C shape and 1 3/16" nut, more of a guitar feel for the crossover crowd. The Crossover has laminate back and sides, the Kentucky all solid. The Kentucky is prettier, gloss finish and nice inlay, while the Crossover has a matte finish and is somewhat plain. My Crossover is the oval hole version, so I can not give an apples to apples tone comparison.

Chuck Hooper
Apr-15-2015, 11:16am
i was lucky enough to get a very nice KM150 used thru the cafe's want ads.i have an eastman 505,a loar 600 and a bovier AT5.all are... in my very humble opinion... are nice sounding and playing mandolins.the kentucky 150 for its price,is an outstanding little mandolin.its got a nice sound,is easy playing and looks much more expensive than it is.i actually find myself playing it more than my others.just my opinion for what its worth.

hdismal
Apr-15-2015, 11:20am
Hello,
Just FYI, the 1st gen Crossovers have laminate back and sides, while the 2015s are all solid. Kyle at the Mando Shop is reported to be quite knowledgable and should be able to guide you tone-wise. Happy hunting, h

jclover
Apr-15-2015, 11:44am
Hello,
Just FYI, the 1st gen Crossovers have laminate back and sides, while the 2015s are all solid. Kyle at the Mando Shop is reported to be quite knowledgable and should be able to guide you tone-wise. Happy hunting, h

Yep, it appears the changes are in for the 2015 models. In addition to solid wood, it looks like they also went to a gloss finish. Also wanted to mention that the Kentucky has a flat board while the Crossover is radius.

jaycooper
Apr-15-2015, 2:30pm
The Crossover I'm looking at is the laminate model.

I think I'm going to go with the Kentucky. Thanks for the info.

roysboy
Apr-16-2015, 1:28am
Km 150 owner . Love it.... still amazed at all of the tone they squeezed into this box for this price . Fit and finish are flawless and the pegs do their job . I never have tuning issues.

jaycooper
Apr-16-2015, 9:51am
Is it worth it to spend the extra $100 dollars on a blemished Eastman MD305? I've done quite of bit of research on both, and if it's recommended, I may end up buying the Eastman instead.

roysboy
Apr-16-2015, 10:17am
Is it worth it to spend the extra $100 dollars on a blemished Eastman MD305? I've done quite of bit of research on both, and if it's recommended, I may end up buying the Eastman instead.

I owned the Eastman 305 ..loved the look , the playability ( radius neck ) decent tone .
But I like the tone of my KM-150 more ( in particular the recorded tone )and it seems to hold tuning better . Both are well-respected around here . For me , the Eastman would not be worth the extra 100.00 but that's a matter of preference having owned them both , I think . The KM-150 is a relatively inexpensive investment for what you are getting . Try to play both if you can as they are slightly different animals ...and best of luck with your search .

jaycooper
Apr-16-2015, 1:00pm
I owned the Eastman 305 ..loved the look , the playability ( radius neck ) decent tone .
But I like the tone of my KM-150 more ( in particular the recorded tone )and it seems to hold tuning better . Both are well-respected around here . For me , the Eastman would not be worth the extra 100.00 but that's a matter of preference having owned them both , I think . The KM-150 is a relatively inexpensive investment for what you are getting . Try to play both if you can as they are slightly different animals ...and best of luck with your search .

Unfortunately there aren't any stores with either of them in stock, so I think I'm going to order the Kentucky through the Mandolin Store. Thanks for the advice.

multidon
Apr-16-2015, 10:00pm
You have chosen wisely, both the instrument and the vendor. You will be very happy.

I own both a Kentucky and a Breedlove. I like them both. Differences in neck profile and nut width don't bother me much. I just adapt to whatever I'm playing.

But that Crossover! They can gussy it up with all solid woods and such, but there is no adjustable truss rod. That makes it a non starter for me. I like being able to tweak the relief. And you can do that on the KM 150. Production on those is supervised by the luthiers who make the master models. I can't think of where you could get more bang for the buck than the KM 150. Enjoy!

jaycooper
Apr-30-2015, 9:09pm
Well the KM-150 came in yesterday and I was very pleased with it. Much better than the epiphone I bought and later returned. Maybe later I'll trade up for an Eastman. I'm interested in how the radius feels when playing.

kkmm
May-02-2015, 5:32pm
KM-150 is THE wise choice for low price / performance ratio.