PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Heiden Heritage Model F5 – a true rarity

jmagill
Apr-14-2015, 7:01am
This is my new-to-me 2009 Heiden Heritage model F5, one of 13 such mandolins in existence, each made with red spruce tops salvaged from a 100-year old building.

In the early '80s, when I was gigging full-time, I was fortunate to own two Monteleone Grand Artists, which eventually passed into other hands (one is now on sale at Carter's). Now, at last, I have finally found a worthy successor to those Monteleones in this magnificent instrument from the hands of Canadian luthier, Michael Heiden.

Discussions of the world's top builders often revolve around the "Big Four," – Gilchrist, Nugget, Dudenbostel and Monteleone, but there are many who would include Heiden in that select group. After a month exploring this mandolin, I would have to agree.

I am notoriously picky and difficult to satisfy. I'm not interested in owning a 'collection.' The merely excellent doesn't interest me. I am driven to find a select few instruments that I consider 'Exceptional', my own subjective term for that small handful of the finest instruments I have ever heard, the very Best of the Best, and even as I played an instrument as distinctive as this mandolin, my demanding inner Critic was constantly whispering, "perhaps a bit more of this, or a bit less of that." But I found that as I continued to explore and adapt to the Heiden, discovering how to get it to sound its best, the Critic calmed down and began to grudgingly admit, "actually, that sounds just about right."

So it is with relief, gratitude and satisfaction that I present to you one of the world's Great Mandolins.

My website features pages of extensive photographs of some of the outstanding instruments I have been privileged to spend time with, and in the case of the instruments I own, I include my own extensive reviews. Here you can find my Instrument Reviews (http://www.magills.net/GtrReviews.html) page, with links to those photographs. The Heiden page (http://www.magills.net/HeidenF5.html) contains many more hi-res photos and a lengthy review, which I will continue to update as I spend more time with the instrument and new features reveal themselves.

132910 132911 132912 132913 132914 132915 132917

sgarrity
Apr-14-2015, 8:03am
Beautiful mandolin and what a great review. Michael's instrument are truly second to none and he certainly deserves his place in the top 5 builders. Like you I have owned lots of excellent mandolins and played every make under the sun. And it's the Heidens that have found a permanent home with me. Enjoy!

DataNick
Apr-14-2015, 8:41am
Truly an exceptional looking instrument, and I'm sure it convincingly reveals the characteristics your review detail. I've played 2 Heidens, one of which is Shaun's, and I can concur to the excellence of his work. Congrats & enjoy!

George R. Lane
Apr-14-2015, 8:52am
I read your review and was very impressed with how you communicated your thoughts. I attended the Montana Old Time Fiddlers Camp last year where John Reischman was one of our instructors and he was using his Heiden. I have heard his Loar and I have to say I prefer the Heidens' tone, not that the Loar lacked in anyway. A Heiden would be my next choice. You have a most excellent instrument there and I hope you get many years of enjoyment with it.

mandobsessed
Apr-14-2015, 9:26am
I've played a few Heiden mandolins and heard many more (being from Vancouver he is the premiere builder in these parts) and they all sound unbelievable. Rich and responsive with incredible power. I heard that John Reischmann let Heiden study his Loar to build John's personal mandolin.

Mark Seale
Apr-14-2015, 11:50am
Beautiful instrument and a wonderfully written review!

Barry Canada
Apr-14-2015, 7:44pm
Jmagill,
I couldn't ever imagine describing my Heiden like you have; you are right on. I am both honoured and privileged to play such an instrument. The tone and workmanship are just incredible. I read your description on your website and was quite impressed with your detailed and accurate description. Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to add that Mike Heiden is also an incredibly warm person. It is nice to see the ongoing support of our luthiers in this cafe forum.

Don Grieser
Apr-14-2015, 9:54pm
You could be writing about my Heiden, except mine's an A5. His setups and the resulting playability are as close to perfect as it gets.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-15-2015, 2:47am
That's a glorious mandolin & that model is one of the very finest ever built by Michael Heiden. Here's a pic.of John Reischman holding his Heiden 'Heritage' mandolin.It looks so stunning that i've had this pic. on my PC for ages now. It also has my very favourite fingerboard inlay as well,;)
Ivan132953

sea sea
Apr-15-2015, 5:39am
That is one awesome instrument Jim, congratulations. I am also a fan of the non-sunburst color (my webers are like that), ebony tuners, tortoise 3 ply binding, plain finger board, highly figured maple body.... exquisitely unadorned allowing its natural elements to shine like a woman of natural beauty (my wife hates when I speak of instruments so!). I can imagine it must be a pleasure to play and hear. Something about old wood and how tones resonate. I have a Griggs guitar with Brazilian rosewood over 100 yrs old that sounds absolutely amazing. I read your review, very descriptive and well written. Enjoy the Heiden!
CC

almeriastrings
Apr-15-2015, 11:52am
Very beautiful mandolins. I had not realized there were only 13 of them out there. There was one in Europe with Trevor some time ago, now on the archive pages (http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/index.php/mandolin-luithers/heiden-mandolins.html)of his store. Congratulations. Top class in every respect.

jmagill
Apr-15-2015, 11:57am
Very beautiful mandolins. I had not realized there were only 13 of them out there.

Just to clarify, Michael told me he has made a total of 15 Heritage models: 2 A-style and 13 F-style.

Thanks, everyone for the comments.

JeffD
Apr-15-2015, 12:32pm
Great description, great attempt at precision. I unfortunately cannot know if the sensory image you planted in my imagination would match what I would experience if I had the chance to play one, but if I ever did get the actual experience, I could easily calibrate your language to my experience and know exactly what you mean from then on.

And I learned a new word: chatoyance.

Jim, you made a presentation or a talk or introduction or something at Old time Week at Swannanoa several years back that I thought was spot on as regards the gathering and the music and the place it all comes together. I learned later that you are a mandolin enthusiast, which came as no surprise.

jmagill
Apr-15-2015, 2:50pm
Great description, great attempt at precision. I unfortunately cannot know if the sensory image you planted in my imagination would match what I would experience if I had the chance to play one, but if I ever did get the actual experience, I could easily calibrate your language to my experience and know exactly what you mean from then on.

And I learned a new word: chatoyance.

Jim, you made a presentation or a talk or introduction or something at Old time Week at Swannanoa several years back that I thought was spot on as regards the gathering and the music and the place it all comes together. I learned later that you are a mandolin enthusiast, which came as no surprise.

Jeff, the next time you're at the Gathering, come introduce yourself. It's always nice to put a face to a forum handle!

DataNick
Apr-15-2015, 6:47pm
Just closely read your review and you articulate exactly what my mind's eye "sees" in the experience of playing and hearing a mandolin; and your "taste" is dead-on with mine. I can only hope one day to come across and be fortunate enough to own such an instrument. I've got a "good-un" but I rightfully know that this is another level of mandolin experience we're talking about with those kinds of instruments!
Triple A baseball can be very entertaining, but it taint' the majors!

Fare thee well my Brotha!