PDA

View Full Version : Help to ID family mandolin

Mgl64
Apr-13-2015, 9:42pm
Hi there,

This mandolin belonged to my grandfather (1884-1941). It is a bowl back style but I can find no manufacturer markings anywhere on it. I believe it to be from early 1900's. It looks as there was a label inside but there only remains a tiny shred of white paper. I'm hoping someone can help Id it by hardware,build style or details. Thanks in advance.

GKWilson
Apr-14-2015, 12:49am
I'm not an expert, but at first glance I'm thinking Martin.
F. C. Martin from Boston. Is there a place on the back of
the headstock where a small plate may have been?
Someone with real knowledge will check in soon.
Wished I had a nice heirloom like this from my Grandfather.
Gary

Mgl64
Apr-14-2015, 8:23am
Here are some additional photos.

Mgl64
Apr-14-2015, 8:24am
Gary, thank you so much for your response. The headstock has a metal plate on it but I see nothing identifying there. I'm thrilled to have inherited this instrument.

EdHanrahan
Apr-14-2015, 9:06am
I'm no expert either, but the large number of "barrel staves" in the body would make it a fairly high-end instrument. Student-level models often have only seven (as few as five?) such sections, while quality instrument generally have at least 15. From what I can count in the photos, there are more than 20.

FWIW, the Martin technical reference book indicates that their Styles 2 & 3 had 26 ribs, while Styles 4 & 5 each had 34 ribs. But many of Martin's details (headstock shape & metal backplate, bridge design, lack of fretboard extension over soundhole) don't seem to match the OP's photos. While the pickguard inlay doesn't quite match either, the book does note that there were other patterns used at various times.

Mgl64
Apr-14-2015, 9:25am
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the information as I have no familiarity with mandolin history or manufacturers. I counted the ribs and there are exactly 40. Thanks again,Mary

Hadji36
Apr-14-2015, 10:21am
I was initially thinking a Vega... Upon searching the internet I found this:

http://beaverwall.com/posts/5516

The real experts for these types of mandolins are the folks at "Antebellum." Hopefully they can chime in.

EdHanrahan
Apr-14-2015, 2:36pm
Hadji36 - That's a nice looking instrument for sale there in Cambridge MA; $225 seems like a bargain for the bowlback fanatics! And it IS very similar to the OP's.

For the record (because the listing could disappear soon), the seller speculates that it may be a Washburn or Vega. His "hundred years old" sounds fairly reasonable.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-14-2015, 3:02pm
People are describing two different Martin companies in this thread. It's not a Martin as in C.F. Martin, Nazareth, PA. It looks to be to be a fairly typical higher-end Lyon and Healy product from Chicago. Washburn was a L&H brand name but they went to great lengths to make sure it was marked as such. Lyon and Healy built a ton of instruments with no brand name on them at all for the trade and I'd guess that's what this is. It was probably purchased from a teacher, school, or local music store. The shred of paper was probably a glued in label for one of those folks as that is how that market was handled in those days. It's probably after 1900 based on the tailpiece and it looks to be in good shape. I'm sure the bowlheads will come forward and I'd be surprised if Jim Garber hasn't got a catalog page for it.

loess
Apr-14-2015, 8:21pm
Some of the features look vaguely Larson-esque to me: pickguard inlay, shaping at the end of the fretboard, cloud tailpiece. Almost looks like a cousin to my old MayFlower bowlback (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?1898-Post-a-Picture-of-Your-Bowlback-(or-any-others)&p=970790&highlight=mayflower#post970790).

brunello97
Apr-14-2015, 9:41pm
Some of the features look vaguely Larson-esque to me: pickguard inlay, shaping at the end of the fretboard, cloud tailpiece. Almost looks like a cousin to my old MayFlower bowlback (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?1898-Post-a-Picture-of-Your-Bowlback-(or-any-others)&p=970790&highlight=mayflower#post970790).

Very distant cousin. Headstock shape and profile look nothing like the Mayflower you linked to. Neither do the shape of the bowl, the bowl detailing or the shape of the scratchplate. The neck joint on the Mayflower is typical of early Boston / Vega detailing. Completely different joint detail from the OPs. The Waverly cloud tailpiece was used by just about every US mandolin manufacturer, Gibson included. Nothing even vaguely Larson-esque besides the fact that it is a mandolin.

I don't mean to be snarky just trying to be clear. Let's go with Mike E on this. Most likely Lyon and Healy, Chicago made. (Long shot might be Oscar Schmidt.)

Mick

loess
Apr-14-2015, 11:26pm
Yikes. Thought I'd give it a shot...I love the bowls but I'm certainly no expert. Mick & others way more well-versed than me, I'll gladly defer to your assessments over mine. No snarkiness detected here.

Jim Garber
Apr-15-2015, 2:38pm
I am with Mike and Mick. It does resemble some American Conservatory mandolins (mid-grade L&H) but with a headstock that looks like some of the flatback mandolins that L&H sold in the 1920s.

Mgl64
Apr-15-2015, 5:12pm
Thanks to all for your replies. I really appreciate your time and feedback!!

brunello97
Apr-15-2015, 6:23pm
Thanks to all for your replies. I really appreciate your time and feedback!!

No thanks necessary. This type of thing is what makes hanging at the MC enjoyable. Anytime I can get into a conversation about vintage instruments with Mike E or Jim, I'm going to take it. I always learn a ton from these guys.

Your instrument, irregardless of maker, looks to be in pretty good overall condition and worth preserving for the obvious family value but also because of its good, if not irreplaceable quality.

Mick

Dan Krhla
Apr-17-2015, 8:47am
Did you happen to check under the plate on the headstock? Doubtful there is anything there, but you never know. On the inside the plate itself or under it ?

JeffD
Apr-17-2015, 8:51am
I really love that double binding. I am not sure I have seen that before.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-17-2015, 9:18am
I really love that double binding. I am not sure I have seen that before.

It's like anything else in this world, more is better...

JeffD
Apr-17-2015, 9:38am
It's like anything else in this world, more is better...

That is really cool looking. Its like one of those optical illusions that looks like its moving in your peripheral vision, but stills when you look right at it.

Mgl64
Apr-17-2015, 4:45pm
Dan- I didn't think to look under the plate. Good idea. Thanks!

Dan Krhla
May-14-2015, 8:45pm
Any updates on this beauty?