PDA

View Full Version : The King of Newgrass

45ACP-GDLF5
Apr-13-2015, 10:44am
Happy Birthday to Sam Bush!!! Born on this day back in 1952.....:mandosmiley:

onassis
Apr-13-2015, 11:53am
+1. Funny, I'm not much of an NGR fan, although I've learned quite a number of Sam's takes on fiddle tunes. SB, however, seems to have been an enormous influence on my mando heroes. And, honestly, that says it all. Happy Birthday!

AlanN
Apr-13-2015, 12:10pm
NGR may not be everyone's cup of tea, but so many of his solos, particularly as Sideman Sam, are just terrific. One that comes to mind is from a tune called Berserkely, off a Mark O'Connor record. It thrilled (and eluded) me so much so that I had the late John McGann tab it out, through his Custom Transcription Service. John nailed it - every nuance, ghost note and triplet flurry were expertly laid out on paper. I still go back to it now and then. Another one he really shined on was a record he did with Alan Munde called Together Again For The First Time, on Ridgerunner.

Have a good one, Sam!

Jim
Apr-13-2015, 12:26pm
First saw Sam with NGR in 1979 backing Leon Russel. Changed how I thought about music. Happy B-day Sam & Thanks for all the music.

Tom C
Apr-13-2015, 3:41pm
I thought he was the "Mother of Bluegrass". Sam says how whenever he walked by Bill Monroe. Bill would say "There goes the mother".