PDA

View Full Version : Got my Nickle Creek tickets!

jim_n_virginia
Mar-02-2004, 7:02am
Finally I get to see Nickle Creek and see what all the fuss is about. Is Thile really a great player or is he just a machinegun rapid player. Been wanting to see them for a while and missed them when they came through town last time.

Best thing is that they will be playing at "The Norva" here in Norfolk, Virgina and it is a small place and every concert I have ever seen there you can get up real close (like 10 feet) and watch.

Is anyone else is going? They play at the end of the month.

And the best thing about The Norva..... is they serve BEER! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

levin4now
Mar-02-2004, 10:51am
C'mon Jim,

I think you know he's more than a machine-gun player!

Let us know what you think.

Pneugrass
Mar-02-2004, 11:17am
They'll be here in the Orlando area in the middle of March at The House Of Blues. I saw them there last year and was blown away! The crowd really got into it. Most of the people there were twenty somethings. I felt ancient at 43. Everyone in the crowd knew the words to all of their songs. I was amazed at the turn out because I expected the place to be empty but it was packed! I'll be there again this year!

Dan Cole
Mar-02-2004, 12:54pm
NC will be here in Boise within the next month or so. I'm going to pass simply because the venue sucks. Last time they were here the crowd was way too noisey. It was embarrassing. Chris actually had to ask them to shut up. I'm really surprised they are playing there again.

Great show, great band, horrific venue (for acoustic that is. Its a rock and Roll bar.

Brian T
Mar-02-2004, 1:21pm
I plan on being there at the Norva. Saw Grisman both times he was there. It's really a great venue for acoustic shows. Only downer for me is there is no palce to sit. Guess I'm just getting old. (sigh)

Christine W
Mar-02-2004, 1:29pm
I'm so bummed they are all around this area and no stops in KY! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

jim_n_virginia
Mar-02-2004, 6:50pm
I plan on being there at the Norva. #Saw Grisman both times he was there. #It's really a great venue for acoustic shows. #Only downer for me is there is no palce to sit. #Guess I'm just getting old. #(sigh)
<<I plan on being there at the Norva. Saw Grisman both times he was there. It's really a great venue for acoustic shows. Only downer for me is there is no palce to sit. Guess I'm just getting old. (sigh) >>

MAN! Brian I wanted to make those Grisman shows! I was out of town BOTH times!

Hey you don't have to stand at the NorVa if you don't want to. If you pay $5,000.00 in adavnce you can go to any show there for a year and sit in the VIP section which is up top in the balcony section just right of the stage. They'll even serve you drinks up there!

Wanna go in half? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-02-2004, 7:02pm
Jim,
I hope you have a great time ... betcha will, too!

CT seems to get a lot of flack for his virtuosity, kinda along the lines of that ' too many notes ' bit from the movie Amadeus. #*W*

But, I think those ideas come from people who haven't seen NC live. There is just no mistaking the sincere enjoyment and love of music that the whole group brings to the stage. I can't believe that any of their music is being done ' to impress ', or ' to show off ', or anything like that.

Somefolks don't like their music ... I can understand that, but I have a feeling that Nickel Creek really likes the music they're all playing. All the grinning while they're picking just seems to give that impression. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Ultimately, I don't even consider myself much of a NC fan, but I sure had a great time seeing them live .. twice now.

- Benig

David Horovitz
Mar-02-2004, 8:34pm
I just noticed NC is playing at the Warfield in SF on 4/10. Tickets go on sale 3/7. Anyone planning to go? Benignus?

I probably couldn't convince my wife to go but that wouldn't stop me from going if I knew I could meet other cafe members there.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-02-2004, 9:13pm
That's a Saturday, too. Perhaps a pre-show jam is in order? I'm downtown, and would be willing to host.

David Horovitz
Mar-03-2004, 12:42pm
I'd be interested in doing some pre-show picking.

mandarin
Mar-03-2004, 6:21pm
I can't believe that any of their music is being done ' to impress ', or ' to show off ', or anything like that.

I've seen situations where the criticism of "too many notes" has been valid, but I forgive 'em. #I see them, in those circs, playing to the crowd. #The audience clearly loved it and begged for more. #What're they gonna do? #They clearly are entertainers as well as musicians.#

I'ts kinda like when an audience wants Orange Blossom Special. #They don't want the most artistic version possible, they want to see you pull out all the stops.

Having said that I respectfully submit that people who ONLY see the pyrotechnics when they see Thile play are only accepting the selective evidence that fits their theory. #There's lots else there to hear as well.

Wish they were playing near me on this tour.

----------------
mandarin

bjc
Mar-03-2004, 6:45pm
Jim,

I've NC twice, once at Town Point Park in a soaking rain with probably 5,000 other people and at the Norva the last time they came through...AMAZING...I will be there again this time...The only bummer was that because of the Coast airplay the place was packed full of people who just wanted to be there so they could get on their cell phones and call people to tell them how cool they were because they at a show where they could talk on their cell phones...Chris, Sara and Sean all had to plead with the audience to be quiet...but still they have a lot of fun playing and you can see that...Look for me at the show...I'll be the short balding guy with the beer in my hand :-0

Songbird
Mar-03-2004, 6:57pm
Have a great time all those who are going http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I'm hoping they'll come to England one of these days.

Brian T
Mar-03-2004, 7:01pm
$5k just for a place to sit? I'd rather stand and complain lol

LilCreekster
Mar-07-2004, 10:01am
I'm definately going to SF! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #David, Benig, you guys getting seats or floor? I think tix go on sale in like 3 hours.

David Horovitz
Mar-08-2004, 12:35pm
I got a floor ticket, general admission for the 4/10 SF show.