PDA

View Full Version : Clifford Mandolinetto ca 1900 or so...

GRW3
Apr-10-2015, 11:33am
I recently acquired this Mandolinetto from Guitar Tex in San Antonio. It was in sad, unplayed shape when they got it but they worked their magic and put it back pretty close to right. I saw it in a Facebook post and then went in to try it out. I just really dug it. It's so different from the Bighorn, I had to have it.

Despite the heroic effort to get it playable, the bridge wasn't quite right on the G course the lowest string popped loose and would not stay. I took it in and they gladly made the required adjustments. At the same time, I had them change strings. They had put on a set regular light gauge strings that was fine but I had a set of the Jazzmando flatwounds I thought would be better. Boy was I right. Switching to the them took all the plinky out of the tone.

I have it on display in my office on my table of treasures. Most days I take my lunch in my office and practice. All the basics work fine on this little guy and its teaching me some things in its own right. The smaller size and frets are making work harder to get the tone I want. That's a good thing. Speaking of frets, despite the age there is no apparent wear so I may have already played it more than it was played in the first century of its existence.

John Uhrig
Apr-10-2015, 11:56am
Here is mine. It says Clifford-American on the neck block. Had it re-topped in 2005 and the luthier made an exact replica of the pickguard that was originally on it. (Noticed yours was the same shape)
Not a bad little instrument. I think that I need to try some different strings on mine. I have the GHS ultra-light on it now. Maybe some TI mediums might work good on it.

Tavy
Apr-10-2015, 1:11pm
Nice, gotta love a mandolinetto! :)

David Lewis
Apr-10-2015, 9:15pm
both beautiful instruments: any chance of an audio? or a video of one of them being played?

F-2 Dave
Apr-10-2015, 11:49pm
Holey lamps, Batman. That's cool.

B. T. Walker
Apr-17-2015, 10:10am
Very cool! The people at GUITAR TEX are just the BEST. Maybe you'll bring it home from the office on a jam day (hint hint hint).

GRW3
Apr-17-2015, 11:49pm
I'll bring it to Steve's Monday night. You should bring your Uke. They are very similar in size so they should go well together.