PDA

View Full Version : tuning knob for old bowlback

jazzjune18
Apr-09-2015, 11:15pm
Complete shot in the dark, but i am hoping that someone knows where i can get an old tuning knob (the knob but also the screw that it is attached to) from an antonio grauso bowlback. The one i have (missing in this picture) is bent and wont stay in place when i turn it. the screw is shorter than today's tuners I know it is a stretch, but who knows.

Tavy
Apr-10-2015, 2:51am
Once they break like that, I would look for a complete replacement set salvaged from a dead instrument - check out eBay - but pay close attention to string-post spacing as it does vary!

jazzjune18
Apr-10-2015, 9:23am
Thanks Tavy. The picture is potentially misleading. The knob didnt break off, I took it out in the photo. It sits on top with a little piece that sits in the small hole you see (just sits in there, not attached). The main problem is that the screw is bent (ever so slightly) so when the gear turns it locks up and pops the screw out of its place. Anyone have any luck with straightening the screw? Any idea on how to go about trying that?

You are probably right Tavy that i would need to replace the tuners...I am just trying all of my other options before getting to that point.

JeffD
Apr-10-2015, 9:28am
This is, perhaps, not a good solution.

Capt. E
Apr-10-2015, 9:30am
I doubt straightening the screw would be really possible. A good machinist would be able to make one.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-10-2015, 11:27am
I have bits and pieces from old bowlbacks... I'll have a look...

allenhopkins
Apr-10-2015, 12:09pm
Eddie S has given you a good direction to go -- even if he doesn't have one. Most established instrument repair shops have "junk drawers" which hold parts salvaged from unrepairable instruments. These include tuning machines, tailpieces, banjo bridges and brackets, mandolin bridges, bridge pins for guitars, all kinda stuff.

If you have such a shop in your vicinity, a visit to them might prove productive. I've spent an hour or two fishing through a cabinet drawer containing five or six dozen banjo bridges, looking for one of the right height. You might find either a complete set of tuners to fit, or at least a worm-gear-shaft that'll work on your instrument.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-10-2015, 1:00pm
I have bits and pieces from old bowlbacks... I'll have a look...

See anything here:

jazzjune18
Apr-11-2015, 1:03pm
Thanks eddy and Allan I don't have any shops nearby so will have to try next time I am traveling for work wow Eddie. You have quite the collection. I have seen that set that is bottom center with the cream colored button son several other bowlbacks of the same time period. I wonder if they all used a standard peg width during that time.

mandroid
Apr-11-2015, 1:12pm
Complete shot in the dark, but i am hoping that someone knows where i can get an old tuning knob (the knob but also the screw that it is attached to) from an antonio grauso bowlback. The one i have (missing in this picture) is bent and wont stay in place when i turn it. the screw is shorter than today's tuners I know it is a stretch, but who knows.

Yea, Lost is the Button & Worm Gear & the Bushing Journal that was swaged into the backing plate.

want a Player ? not a collector with as original era parts ?

Measure the post spacing ,, Maybe the restoration ones Stew Mac has made will be usable.

Or there is a Italian Maker artisan of hand made tuners ,
But I doubt a $500 tuner set, is your Desires

jazzjune18
Apr-11-2015, 1:44pm
Mandroid. I am more concerned with making it playable then I am original parts. The photo is misleading I do have the piece it is just bent I don't quite know why I didn't include it in the photo. I will check with Steve Mac. My hope is to avoid having to replace the entire set because I very much like the look of the old tuners, grime and all.

Jim Garber
Apr-15-2015, 10:25pm
I have as ton of ancient parts too. Measure the post spacing and the post height.

jazzjune18
Apr-15-2015, 10:53pm
Great idea Jim. I will get to it and get back to you. Thanks

jazzjune18
Apr-16-2015, 11:07pm
Jim and Ed. The string spacing looks to be right at .95 inches (24 mm). The height is about 1.08 in or 27.5 mm (that is including the gear at the bottom. If you had any that were this size I would be interested if they weren't too costly (I shouldn't spend much more money than I already have on getting this playable again).