PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Players Life Hacks/ Equipment Improv.

diymando
Apr-07-2015, 7:19pm
Hello everyone, I often find the suggestions and tips posted on the cafe to be so useful that it motivated to post some stuff I have done (in the hopes that it may spark creativity or save some one some money to put into an instrument or pay off some debt).

1). From the pics you can see I had my wife combat the "I obviously have an expensive instrument/mandolin"problem. Wandering around in a city with a cool looking fiberglass case covered in bright stickers can be difficult, so I though of a disguise! After trying out a tennis bag for a while, I knew there had to be a better way to carry the instrument that didn't involve so much material, and besides I don't look like a tennis player and this can spark unwanted attention from smart alics during winter. So I picked out some material from my local craft store (Walleyworld) and my wife shaped a rough looking case cover from it. There is a hole for the handle and also the strap rings. This also helps with not getting scratches on my case. It has so far traveled with me internationally and domestically and has not had any issues. It is a pain sometimes to slide on and off ( due to my rather large case feet), but this is better than the attention I would get carrying the case around otherwise. I still occasionally get someone asking what it is, but they never sound impressed when I tell them, unlike before!

2). Headstock case ramps. I found some unwanted foam at work that I cut into the shape of a ramp (or cheese wedge). Then I picked out some velvet like material from my local craft store ( Walleyworld), and had my wife sew cases for it. I attached the case ramps with Velcro and they have remained solid for about a year now! They really put your mind at ease when traveling, as the potential whiplash around the headstock/ nut is combatted well.

3). Case humidifier attached. I found in my case there is a great spot to have a humidifier in the main body of the case where the instrument needs it most. I simply attached some Velcro to the inside of my case and to the side of a planet waves small instrument humidifier and have had no problems since! I have a small digital hygrometer inside the case which helps me maintain a good humidity for the instrument.

Hope all or some of this was useful to someone. If anything, this shows how much a wife can be an excellent helpmate. She loved helping and I treasure the results all the more for it.

Be creative with your instrument care and you can save the $$$ for things like new strings and picks!

George R. Lane
Apr-07-2015, 7:38pm
What Pics?????????? :confused:

diymando
Apr-07-2015, 8:49pm
Sorry, forgot to upload them. They are on now! :)

MysTiK PiKn
Apr-08-2015, 2:17am
I like the little pillows for the headstock.
I also get the security idea with cases. I don't like advertising for one thing; but to walk around with some famous brand name is kinda like a target. My TLoar has a black case with "The Loar" written on the outside in large light grey letters - I plan on getting a black marker and making that disappear. Beyond that, it just looks like a suitcase. The inside could use some cushy pillows for the head. As you mentioned, this is a common breakage area, made famous by baggage handlers. Unsupported the headstock can whip and slam and just pop off - the "at rest point" already has full string tension pulling on it. A friend of mine had a really nice white lespaul, and it lost it's head. He was able to get it repaired fortunately.
Thanx for the diy ideas.