PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Grouso Bowlback

jazzjune18
Apr-04-2015, 8:55pm
Howdy. A couple weeks ago I picked up a pretty beaten up Antonio Grouso bowlback off of fleabay. It was very cheap. It has a few cracks in the back that all link up to a spot where it looks like it was dropped at some point. I ran a few streams of glue along the cracks, but honestly it looks like other than the impact that it experienced not much seems to be moving. I also replaced the tailpiece with an ugly gold one I had laying around, fixed a broken tuner, installed new binding (it was non-existent when I got it), and it is using a temporary bridge that I threw together out of some red oak. It is no looker by any means, but it plays really well.

I have a couple questions for the masses: first off, any idea of the potential age of this mando? any idea when Antonio was active? I couldn't find any sort of number inside the instrument. Are there any distinguishing features on this instrument that could help me narrow it down (out of pure curiousity)? Also, I put on a set of light strings (j73s). Will this work or do I need even lower gauge strings (suggestions??)?

Thanks for your help!!

derbex
Apr-05-2015, 2:33am
Looks pretty good to me. GHS ultra light are a common recommendation for old bowlbacks. .09-.32 guages.

Jim Garber
Apr-05-2015, 9:04am
The maker is Antonio Grauso -- it is pronounced as you spelled it tho. :)

I believe that he was active around the turn of the last century. I have evidence that he worked in the lower east side in New York City. There was a box of violin strings for sale on eBay many years ago with this address and his signature: "Antonio Grauso, 192 Grand Street, New York City, NY. March 27 1909".

On some of his labels he noted that he was a disciple of Luigi Ricca, another Italian maker active in New York from about 1890s until the 1920s or so. Ricca went on to make pianos in New Jersey.

I would replace that bridge with a better one. The original one would have been ebony and probably with a bone saddle (see below). You can get one made fairly reasonably from Dave Hynds (http://mandolinluthier.com/mandolin-bridges.htm) in France.

GHS A240 ultra-lights are decent inexpensive strings but if you want very nice sounding ones splurge for Dogal Calace Dolce (very light gauge) RW92b strings. Bernunzio carries them in the US. If you are in Europe you should be able to buy them also.

jazzjune18
Apr-05-2015, 10:51am
Jim and Derbex, thanks for the recommendations. I have ordered a set of ultralights (currently have lights). Unless it is a VERY dangerous practice I will keep these lights on for while before changing to ultralighs. Also, thanks for the recommendation on the bridge. The one I currently have was temporary quick fix.

Jim. VERY funny thing happened this morning. I looked up 192 Grand Street on google maps. It is currently occupied by a restaurant called Florio's. The restaurant looked VERY familiar to me..Well. as it turns out I actually have a picture of Florio's on the wall in my kitchen that we took last time we were in NYC. Adds new depth to this instrument for me. (see below)