PDA

View Full Version : Price check: used Collings MT gloss-top

BadLiver
Apr-02-2015, 11:28am
I would like to buy a used Collings MT with a gloss top (the sunburst type, not the blonde type) and ivoroid binding, in mint condition. Can anyone tell me how much to expect to pay? Can it be done for $1500 or so? Or is that unrealistic?

spufman
Apr-02-2015, 11:36am
From what I've seen, they tend to go closer to the $1800 range. But right time, right place...

pheffernan
Apr-02-2015, 11:37am
I would like to buy a used Collings MT with a gloss top (the sunburst type, not the blonde type) and ivoroid binding, in mint condition. Can anyone tell me how much to expect to pay? Can it be done for $1500 or so? Or is that unrealistic?

I think $1500 is a tad unrealistic unless it has had heavy play wear or damage with a repair. That's a $2500 instrument new, so the usual 20-30% depreciation would put you in the $1750-2000 range: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/84085. One just posted for $1650 and was snapped up immediately: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/85234.

BadLiver
Apr-02-2015, 11:47am
Thanks, I'll keep my eye out. In my experience an awfully good-sounding mandolin and that design is understated and classy (I definitely think the glossy ones with the light binding look worlds better though). Seems like good value for money without a doubt, and if Collings mandos are like their guitars the resale value, should I ever need to sell it, is very high. Personally I feel that an F-style is gauche unless you're talking about an absolutely top-end instrument.

Canoedad
Apr-02-2015, 11:54am
I window shopped MT's a long time here before buying a Pava after they came out. In years of looking I only ever saw one non-gloss topped MT with an asking price of $1500, and the seller was up-front that it was dinged up and needed a re-fret.

pheffernan
Apr-02-2015, 12:01pm
In my experience an awfully good-sounding mandolin and that design is understated and classy (I definitely think the glossy ones with the light binding look worlds better though). Seems like good value for money without a doubt, and if Collings mandos are like their guitars the resale value, should I ever need to sell it, is very high.

In my experience , the MT is as comfortable a mandolin, ergonomically speaking, as any that I have encountered. It sounds good by itself, great with others, and Bill Collings' reputation for quality and consistency makes it a safe bet to hold its value and buy from a distance.

BadLiver
Apr-02-2015, 12:08pm
In my experience , the MT is as comfortable a mandolin, ergonomically speaking, as any that I have encountered. It sounds good by itself, great with others, and Bill Collings' reputation for quality and consistency makes it a safe bet to hold its value and buy from a distance.

Okay good -- that's similar to what I found with their guitars. I did not care for the tone of my Collings D2H guiar, but the quality and playability was unassailable, and I sold it for substantially more than I bought it for so it was hardly the end of the world.

I just really, really like the stark, unaffected design of all their instruments. And those little MTs that I've heard develop a truly wicked bluegrass chop!

Atlanta Mando Mike
Apr-02-2015, 2:51pm
That's a low price. You would likely only find that from someone who had to sell immediately and was in a bind or it would have to be a pretty beat up one with issues.

Steve Ostrander
Apr-02-2015, 3:23pm
If I saw one for $1500 I'd buy it immediately, and I'm not even in the market. I think $1800 is about the going rate.