PDA

View Full Version : Which music shops to visit - Atlanta and Nashville?

CeeCee_C
Mar-29-2015, 5:37pm
Hey all -

I'll be in Atlanta 'til Tuesday, then on to Nashville. Any suggestions as to the best shops for mandolin sight-seeing in these towns?

Thanks,

Don Grieser
Mar-29-2015, 5:44pm
Carter's vintage in Nashville would be at the top of my list.

tree
Mar-29-2015, 6:28pm
+1 on Carters, I've never been there but hope to rectify that someday. Gruen's and Cotten Music in Nashville also.

Maple Street in ATL.

Nashville
Mar-29-2015, 6:42pm
Carters is #1 for mandolins. Gruhns is #2 and just down the street a mile or so. Cotten Music is a nice store, but has small selection and is only open M-F. It is easy to spend hours in just Carters. They will let you play the signed Loars if you ask. They are in a glass case on the wall of the small front room, along with all the high end mandolins you've read about. They have sold out of Gilchrists so you won't find one of those. Forget about any other music store in Nashville area for mandolins.

Have fun on your trip!

Steevarino
Mar-29-2015, 7:11pm
All good suggestions so far. Here's one that might not be on your list (or anyone's list), my shop! We are located in Hendersonville, which is only about a 20 minute drive from downtown Nashville. I've always got a bunch of mandolins, guitars, and resophonic guitars on hand, as well as loads of work-in-progress to check out. CeeCee, I'm sure you'll have a blast checking out our shop, how we build things, etc. Heck, it might even be more fun than Carters and Gruhns combined! Consider yourself invited!

CeeCee_C
Mar-29-2015, 7:24pm
Steve -

Thanks for the invitation. Consider me accepting!

Ken Waltham
Mar-29-2015, 7:38pm
The first Loar F5 I owned is for sale currently in Atlanta.
http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/show_cat.php?cat=MDA,MDC,MDE,MDF,MDO,CNM,CUM,USM,L HM,MDL
It remains one of the best I have played.....

CeeCee_C
Mar-29-2015, 7:46pm
I think what I want to do is (1) look at mandola and (2) get some advice about external contact pickups and maybe buy one.

Mando_Lynn
Mar-30-2015, 7:50am
I second (and third) the suggestion of maple street guitars in Atlanta!!! I bought an Eastman 505 and a Taylor GS mini there great customer service and nice selection of instruments. Not huge selection, but nice selection.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-30-2015, 8:40am
Maple Street is a great store with a modest selection of mandolins. They have a few Collings, some Eastmans, some Kentucky's, and a real Lloyd Loar and a real Gibson Fern. Their acoustic guitar selection is awesome and they also carry Pro Plec and Wegen Picks.

CeeCee_C
Mar-30-2015, 12:35pm
The man who runs the shop wouldn't even let me SEE the Loar, much less play it. He simply dismissed me.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-30-2015, 12:43pm
Well, truthfully, they aren't used to having instruments of that level in the shop so they are probably more worried about it when compared to shops like Carters in Nashville. Gruhn's is a little stand offish with $100k+ instruments as well. Sorry about that.

Rodney Riley
Mar-30-2015, 12:45pm
As I suggested in your forgotten pick thread. Look up Marty Jacobson. Think he put his address/street location in the other thread.

Ken Waltham
Mar-30-2015, 1:06pm
The man who runs the shop wouldn't even let me SEE the Loar, much less play it. He simply dismissed me.

Wow, that's really rude...

Rodney Riley
Mar-30-2015, 1:44pm
All good suggestions so far. Here's one that might not be on your list (or anyone's list), my shop! We are located in Hendersonville, which is only about a 20 minute drive from downtown Nashville. I've always got a bunch of mandolins, guitars, and resophonic guitars on hand, as well as loads of work-in-progress to check out. CeeCee, I'm sure you'll have a blast checking out our shop, how we build things, etc. Heck, it might even be more fun than Carters and Gruhns combined! Consider yourself invited!
Yes by all means stop and visit here. A Redline Hemi to sit in the back seat of my Hemi. Another bucket list item ;)

(You are on somebodies list Steve :) )

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-30-2015, 2:11pm

Wow, that's really rude...

+1 on the "rude". The concern over a six figure instrument is understandable. Dismissing someone who wants to SEE an instrument that is for sale is not.
I know of an aircraft dealer who lost a seven figure sale because he 'dismissed' someone he judged not to be a potential buyer.
Bad business.

GKWilson
Mar-30-2015, 2:47pm
Cotton Music does seem to have a bit fewer mandolins than usual.
Even so, they have a couple of Nuggets, an Altman, a Givens, some Collings and Northfields.
But, I would go to see the brand new, hot from the shop, Kimble 2 point mandola.
I bet they would even let you play it. :grin::mandosmiley:
Gary

jim simpson
Mar-30-2015, 3:23pm
If you go to Carter's, please check out the Poe F-4 and report impressions - thanks

darrylicshon
Mar-30-2015, 3:33pm
The guy a maple street guitars can be the same way with his other mandolins , i have had good and bad experiences in the store, but i don't look like i could or would buy a Collings mandolin which he is wrong but now he's right cause i wouldn't buy it from them, i will go somewhere else

Mandoplumb
Mar-30-2015, 5:40pm

Don't know how he will sell it if you can't play it. Went in a book store about a year ago and got called down for looking at the books, that store is no longer in buisness, wonder why

darylcrisp
Mar-30-2015, 5:41pm
somewhat off track for mandolins, but if you have time while in Nashvegas, and are tooling around the old part of town near the Ryman, walk a couple blocks down and pay a visit to the Johnny Cash museum-even if you are not a JC fan, its a self guided tour and has many of his own personal things, lots of hand written letters from JC to others, and just a visit back into time. Wife and i spent about 3 hours in there last year and loved it. There's an indoor theatre to watch the Man in Black as well. Extremely interesting.
http://www.johnnycashmuseum.com/

And if you are hungry, and like BBQ, highly suggest Jacks, again, a couple blocks from the JC museum:

http://jacksbarbque.com/

hey, did Capo's have proplecs? if not, whatda end up with?

d

darylcrisp
Mar-30-2015, 6:42pm

i would love for you to demo and post some thoughts on the Redline A models!!!
d

journeybear
Mar-30-2015, 8:54pm

Maybe if you'd said you're a personal friend of Ken Waltham. True or not, inside information can help. Sometimes ... :whistling:

It's a good bet it will still be there the next time you pass through. ;)

Eric Oliver
Mar-31-2015, 11:35am
CeeCee. About that shop that wouldn't show the Loar...

(What I'm saying here is a joke-- just for fun.)

Maybe he overheard you telling about the time you dropped the 1949 Vincent Black Shadow...

Just kidding around.

I have, and continue, to enjoy your reports.

Neoclinus
Mar-31-2015, 12:50pm
Another good word for Cotten. I bought my Elkhorn from them a couple years ago and couldn't have been happier. I haven't been in person, but would love to. Kim was a wonderful person to buy an instrument from, making me feel like a friend even though I've never met them. Truly excellent customer service. I doubt you would be brushed off for wanting to play an instrument.
As far as that, I heard from a friend of a co-worker of his once walking in to a nice jewelry store to buy a ring while in his scruffy work clothes. Engagement perhaps. When he asked about one of the more expensive items the shopkeeper responded with something like "well that's a bit out of your price range"... Intending to pay in cash, he took out a rather large roll of money, said "I suppose you're right - I think I'll take my money elsewhere" and walked out. One hope that sort of thing is a good lesson learned in customer service.

Timbofood
Mar-31-2015, 1:01pm
Sales people prejudge way too much anymore! In my jewelry days I learned to simply be nice, I had no idea what was in the customers bank account or pocket for that matter. Had a guy come in about half an hour before closing on a Saturday, his wife wanted to look at a ruby ring. I dutifully brought out the tray I had just put in the vault thinking, "here goes getting out on time". Well, his wife found one she liked, he asked her if it fit, it was just right. Out comes a credit card and he says "use this one, the rate is pretty good right now" found out as I was writing the paperwork for the appraisal ($6500.00) that he had designed the remote control actuator for GM side mirrors! I have other stories just like that, I pity the guys who think they know how much money any customer has! They deserve to fail. I had a guy come in realizing that he was working in his garden on their anniversary, dirty, sweaty, and a money roll to choke a moose! We became friends very quickly!
I am afraid service has disappeared from customer service in many locations.

GKWilson
Mar-31-2015, 2:04pm
My buddy got a job as a mason the day he got out of school. He was hired on
a job putting up several buildings at a college. His boss was under pressure to
get them finished. So, he seldom had a day off and got lots of overtime for a
year and a half. He had no time to spend his money. When he was done he
decided he wanted a brand new car. The 1970 240 Z's had just come out and he
wanted one badly. We were 19 years old. My hair [yes I once had some] was a
little long and scruffy and my buddy was wearing a white tee shirt and some well
worn , but clean, work jeans. We were checking out the car. These were rather
rare back then and this was the only one in town. My buddy slid into the drivers
seat to check things out. This old [probably my age now] salesman came running
up and told my buddy to get out. 'That's a $4000.00 car'. When asked if we could
test drive it he just rudely said no. So, we drove down the road and my buddy bought
a new 1970 Challenger [cash]. He drove back to the other lot. Found the old codger and
gave him an earful. Then burned off the lot flying a one fingered peace sign.
As the 'Pretty Woman' would say 'Big mistake. Huge mistake'.

Timbofood
Mar-31-2015, 2:58pm
I had a mason come into the music store with a maybe '06 Gibson A style once, wanted to get it set up for his son. He told me that masons can't maintain calluses and showed me his finger tips....smooth as silk, was he an anomaly or is that really true? He said the bricks just sand them off day by day. His son was be very excited about the mandolin as I recall.

Charles E.
Mar-31-2015, 6:11pm
Steve -

Thanks for the invitation. Consider me accepting!

Cee-Cee, Steve is a super nice guy to deal with. Be sure to keep us up to date on your visit to his shop. Send pic's if you can.

CeeCee_C
Mar-31-2015, 7:24pm
CeeCee. About that shop that wouldn't show the Loar...

(What I'm saying here is a joke-- just for fun.)

Maybe he overheard you telling about the time you dropped the 1949 Vincent Black Shadow...

Just kidding around.

I have, and continue, to enjoy your reports.

Eric -

I accept your ribaldry in the spirit in which it's meant. Besides, it wasn't a Vincent, it was a Brough Superior. But don't tell anyone. IT'S A SECRET!

oops