PDA

View Full Version : I'm listening to one of these tonight...

mandotim1955
Mar-26-2015, 2:07pm
This is a great instrument, but not easy to play!

mandroid
Mar-26-2015, 4:26pm
quarter tone fretted?

billhay4
Mar-27-2015, 9:55am
I'd like to know a bit more about this instrument if you would be so kind.
Bill

MysTiK PiKn
Mar-27-2015, 4:32pm
Fascinating.
Wild guess? Indian?

mandotim1955
Mar-27-2015, 6:34pm
Sorry for teasing! It's a Swedish instrument called a Latmandola, played in this case by the fabulous Marit Fallt. It's like an octave mandolin, but with ten strings. The two bass pairs are octave strung, and extend beyond the nut into the headstock area, giving extra low notes. There are screw-in single string capos at various places on the fretboard for changing tunings, and quarter tone frets in selected spots for use in Scandinavian microtonal tunes. It's an amazing sound, I'll see if I can find some examples.

mandotim1955
Mar-27-2015, 6:42pm
http://www.tomkitching.co.uk/interloper/. This is the band I saw last night. Tom is a friend and occasional fiddler with our band.

ollaimh
Mar-27-2015, 7:34pm
i think aly bain did an album with a scandnavian who played one of those. very cool.

mandotim1955
Mar-27-2015, 8:08pm
I think that was Ale Moller. Marit has a very different style. I wish I had a recording of her solo piece from last night, a slow lament played absolutely beautifully.

foldedpath
Mar-27-2015, 8:13pm
i think aly bain did an album with a scandnavian who played one of those. very cool.

That would be Ale Möller, and the albums are Aly Bain and Ale Möller, "Fully Rigged" (2002) and "Beyond the Stacks" (2007), both albums available for MP3 purchases on Amazon, and probably elsewhere.

I strongly recommend both these albums for any CBOM enthusiast. Not just for the accompaniment, but because it's just terrific music and Aly Bain is a great fiddler.

Here's Ale playing his latmandola solo, where you can hear the bass lines:

p1ftqdUlGH0

And here's a little more info on this latmandola beast: https://silkwoodmusic.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/the-nordic-mandola-its-not-a-banjo/

foldedpath
Mar-27-2015, 8:18pm
I think that was Ale Moller. Marit has a very different style. I wish I had a recording of her solo piece from last night, a slow lament played absolutely beautifully.

I've seen her before on YouTube clips somewhere, and yes she's a great player. Wasn't she in another band before this one? Can't remember the name...