PDA

View Full Version : My (New to me) Ellis A5!

TEvans
Mar-25-2015, 1:09pm

Red maple back and sides. One piece back. Snakehead headstock. Made right here in my hometown.

York
Mar-25-2015, 1:12pm
Nice looking Mando. How does it sound and feel?

Cheryl Watson
Mar-25-2015, 1:19pm
The Ellis mandolins are some of the best looking mandolins being built in these modern times. I also love their tone and playability. Congrats! That's a real looker.

TEvans
Mar-25-2015, 1:53pm
Nice looking Mando. How does it sound and feel?

It feels great, and sounds equally as awesome! It's red maple back and sides, instead of the standard sugar maple. So it has a bit more low end, which is what I was looking for.

The violin neck finish is awesome, as well. So quick!

York
Mar-25-2015, 3:12pm
It feels great, and sounds equally as awesome! It's red maple back and sides, instead of the standard sugar maple. So it has a bit more low end, which is what I was looking for.

The violin neck finish is awesome, as well. So quick!

Cool! Looks like a nicely crafted instrument.

John Duncan
Mar-25-2015, 3:19pm
Wahoo! Congrats. Looks good. I'll bet it sounds and plays incredible.

Tobin
Mar-25-2015, 3:37pm
Sweet! Congrats! One of these days I'm going to have to buy an Ellis A5. I don't really need one, but I must have one!

I love the looks of that red maple. They use that on the Pava line too, although it appears they save the more flamey pieces for the Ellis A5s.

So I take it from the title that you bought it used. What number/year is it?

DataNick
Mar-25-2015, 4:12pm
Congrats!

Awesome lookin mandolin; and Ellis mandos have quite the sonic/playability reputation!

Northwest Steve
Mar-25-2015, 5:10pm
Sweet, got to love the one piece backs on Ellis mandolins.

John Soper
Mar-25-2015, 8:36pm
Welcome to the Ellis club!

TEvans
Mar-25-2015, 11:01pm
Correct, Tobin!

It's number 251 out of the Ellis shop, originating in 2011. Bought it here off the cafe. I guess it didn't get much play, so he let it go. Man has it opened up just in the time I've had it. I'm excited to see what a lifetime of play does to it!

And also, correct, you do need one!

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-26-2015, 3:23am
Congrats.on your new 'used' Ellis "A" style. I bought a 'used' one a few months ago - #215,made in 2010 - be aware that the number isn't the 251st mandolin,but Tom's 251st 'instrument'. From Tom Ellis : -
Ivan,
Thanks for checking in. On the ser #, you are correct, 215th instrument (including 2 guitars and 25 banjos). Yes,Tom's made 25 BANJOS !!.
If you're enjoying yours as much as i'm enjoying mine,then you're having a whale of a time !.
The 2 pics.are of the simple & very inexpensive strap i made.

FromTobin - "..... although it appears they save the more flamey pieces for the Ellis A5s."
Not a bit of 'flame' on the back of mine.It's more akin to the wood on the one piece backs of some of the Lloyd Loar mandolins i've seen,
Ivan

Tobin
Mar-26-2015, 7:16am
Not a bit of 'flame' on the back of mine.It's more akin to the wood on the one piece backs of some of the Lloyd Loar mandolins i've seen
Oh, I wouldn't say that there's no flame there. The back on your Ellis A5 has plenty of character.

The red maple on the back of my Pava is much more tame by comparison.

Man has it opened up just in the time I've had it. I'm excited to see what a lifetime of play does to it!
You're in for a treat! It only gets better from here. :)

jclover
Mar-26-2015, 2:11pm
Congrats TEvans! I just received my 2010 (#199) today and am very pleased. Sugar maple on this one.

John Duncan
Mar-26-2015, 2:36pm
Wow! What a group. Does anybody have the black top art deco A-5 Ellis did? Feel like posting? I played that one in 2011 and it was the 2nd best mando I've ever played.

yankees1
Mar-26-2015, 2:38pm
You can't do any better than an Ellis ! The only mandolin better than a A5 Ellis is a F5 Ellis ! I have them both and MAS is satisfied !

Baron Collins-Hill
Mar-26-2015, 2:46pm
Nice to see a bunch of Ellis A's in one place! Sounds like you are all as pleased as I am with mine. Got mine new in 2009 (#152), and it's been a joy to own.

Happy picking,
Baron

LeonEvans
Mar-26-2015, 5:31pm
I was lucky to get #297 from 2012 last November.
Leon

TEvans
Mar-26-2015, 11:24pm
Looks like we're starting up an Ellis A5 club round these parts!

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-27-2015, 4:41am
From TEvans - "Looks like we're starting up an Ellis A5 club round these parts ! " And why not Sir ?. Yes,there's plenty to enthuse about re. Ellis mandolins,whether they're F's or A's. It's not an unknown fact on here that Tom Ellis has been my favourite builder for a long time.It was only because i was made a very generous offer by Trevor Moyles,the owner of TAMCO over here,that i was able to buy the Ellis "A" style,& am i ever glad i did -it's amazing.
Re.the 'flame' thing - Baron Collins-Hill's back is what i call 'flame',similarly the back of my Czech.built Lebeda. I suppose it's all about the 'degree' of the 'flame'. More might be nice,but less isn't 'less nice'',if you get my drift,:grin:
Ivan;)

almeriastrings
Mar-27-2015, 7:19am
The sugar maple flame that Tom Ellis seems to use a lot, especially on a 1-piece back is quite different from what you see on many two piece backs, in say European and other species.

It is very '3D' with a lot of depth to it.

For comparison, a Northfield 'Big Mon' with the high grade maple upgrade:

The 'fit and finish' of Tom's mandolins cannot be bettered, in my opinion. They are as near faultless as any piece of wood has any right to be!

Ron McMillan
Mar-27-2015, 7:49am
I am envious, and regretful too. I spent three years being messed around by a 'name' custom maker in the States. Two mandolins and dozens of broken promises later I ended up with an unplayable thing that I've had to set about fixing myself. I could have had an Ellis for not much more than I wasted on this builder - and boy do I wish I'd taken that option when I had it :(

TEvans
Mar-27-2015, 10:55am
There's still time, Ron! Get ya one!

terzinator
Mar-27-2015, 11:19am
There are so many great builders right now. I have yet to play an Ellis. I've played a Pava, and I can say that they're wonderful, so I bet Tom's models are even better!

Tobin
Mar-27-2015, 2:27pm
The sugar maple flame that Tom Ellis seems to use a lot, especially on a 1-piece back is quite different from what you see on many two piece backs, in say European and other species.

It is very '3D' with a lot of depth to it.

Agreed. I'm not very knowledgeable about the different types of maple or what gives them the different flame patterns. Tom obviously has some special pieces, in many different varieties. I remember seeing a big stack of wood pieces under the workbench in his shop and wondering how he selects which one goes on each mandolin. Or how he finds and selects just the right pieces he wants from his sources.

At any rate, even though other makers have nicely flamed pieces of wood on the backs of their mandolins, I've never seen any that amaze me with the 3D depth illusion that Tom (or his finisher) gets from the wood. Even though the back of my F5 is tame compared to some of his other builds, I am just mesmerized by the way the flame pattern seems to pop out of there. The sides, too.

Some of the photos on his F5 page (http://www.ellismandolins.com/f-5.html) are mind-blowing. The quilted/bubbled maple is spectacular. But all of his flamed maple pieces have the same depth illusion, regardless of the amount of flame. The irregularity of the flame pattern makes it look more like actual flame, not a zebra-stripe pattern.

Mark Seale
Mar-27-2015, 2:48pm
That 3D effect is more amazing finish work than differences in available wood to the builders. Tom and his finisher have a gift for bringing out the beauty inherent to the wood.

TEvans
Mar-27-2015, 4:36pm
Tom told me that they send out all of their varnish finished mandolins to get finished by some fellow in Missouri. They are able to do their lacquer finishes on site. But varnish is outsourced.

I can't remember his name, but man, does he make that flame explode of the back and sides.

doc holiday
Mar-27-2015, 5:08pm
Congratulations & welcome to the club. :) & they sound even better than they look

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-28-2015, 2:19am
This is the one that got my 'Ellis enthusiasm' up & running,the mandolin that Tom built for Ricky Skaggs years back. I'd never even held a mandolin at the time,but i know beautiful wood & excellent craftsmanship when i see it,:disbelief:
Ivan;)

yankees1
Mar-28-2015, 7:19am
Tom told me that they send out all of their varnish finished mandolins to get finished by some fellow in Missouri. They are able to do their lacquer finishes on site. But varnish is outsourced.

I can't remember his name, but man, does he make that flame explode of the back and sides. My A5 Ellis is four years old and the varnish looks today just as good as it did four years ago.

pheffernan
Mar-28-2015, 7:32am
Tom told me that they send out all of their varnish finished mandolins to get finished by some fellow in Missouri. They are able to do their lacquer finishes on site. But varnish is outsourced. I can't remember his name, but man, does he make that flame explode of the back and sides.

His name is Josh Luttrell.

Bigtuna
Mar-28-2015, 7:35am
The flame on the back of mine still blows me away even after having it 5 years. 132298

Ron McMillan
Mar-28-2015, 8:39am
The flame on the back of mine still blows me away even after having it 5 years. 132298

No wonder!

almeriastrings
Mar-29-2015, 3:41am
All amazingly beautiful mandolins above. Just exceptional - but that seems to be almost 'Standard' with Ellis.....the back on 297 is really wild, and it is great to see how it has been exploited by positioning and finish to make a mandolin back you could keep on staring at and keep on finding new details in there. They are truly at a level where both for looks and tone, you might find something different, but good luck finding anything 'better'.

Dancing Seahorse
Mar-29-2015, 8:47am
Really nice looking instrument. Enjoy it!

Jstring
Mar-29-2015, 8:55am
Interesting new Ellis A-5 at elderly... It's a blonde!
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EA5DLX3-2.htm

terzinator
Apr-06-2015, 2:33pm
Interesting new Ellis A-5 at elderly... It's a blonde!
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EA5DLX3-2.htm
No longer in stock?

LongBlackVeil
Jun-10-2015, 6:38pm
I missed an Ellis thread? Congrats! My a5 (317) is literally the best Mandolin I've ever played including 4 other Ellis f5s, another Ellis a5, and a VERY nice red diamond. They all (the Ellis') sound similar and they all sound great, but I feel like mine is something special. Maybe just because it's mine ;) it seems like it has a bit more oomph though, a prettier low end. I'm actually not sure if mine is red or sugar maple. Although I have been getting scroll envy lately, I simply can't sell my Ellis, I'm afraid I won't find anything like it again even if I get another ellis

Your has different tuners, are they still waverlys?

Very true the finish is top notch, that's not just a saying, I mean it literally is the best around.

Proud to have such great mandolins crafted right here in Texas

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-15-2015, 12:49am
From LBV - "Your has different tuners, are they still waverlys ?.".Tom Ellis told me that he uses both Waverly's & Gotoh's on his "A" styles. Mine has Gotoh MA40's on it. They work superbly well & i honestly can't imagine the far more expensive Waverly's working any better,
Ivan;)

TEvans
Jun-15-2015, 1:00pm
Hey Long Black Veil!

Are you in the Austin area? We should have an Ellis jam sometime!

On the note of tuners : I was in Tom's shop before I bought mine, and was inquiring about tuners. I had my mind set on waverly's just for their reputation. However, he told me that he often uses Gotoh tuners, specifically on A styles because they are "worm over" tuners - **I think I've got that right**. Anyways, the old school tuners are always "worm under" and when the string tension pulls on that string post, it often separates the gear from the post very slightly. Tom said he likes to use the Gotoh's for a worm over approach, where the string tension keeps the gears and the string post tight together.

My Ellis does have Gotoh's, and they are awesome. This thing holds a tune like nobody's business!

Mark Seale
Jun-15-2015, 1:45pm
It sounds like we need an Austin area Cafe members mando tasting.

Tobin
Jun-15-2015, 2:20pm
Let me know if y'all end up doing that. I'd consider making the 2+ hour drive for it.

LongBlackVeil
Jun-15-2015, 2:40pm
oh i completely agree about the gotohs, i personally dont think tuners have much at all to do with tuning stability in the first place, assuming that they are working properly, the nut is where most tuning issues reside, not the tuners.

I live south of san antonio, it takes me about 3 hours to make it up there. Honestly i rarely have a free day to do something like that. But i am planning to go to the austin string band festival in oct. and then the hill country acoustic music camp in the winter over in kerville. Last year at the HCAMP i think there were 5 ellis' in attendance including mine. Theres also another ellis f5 at the jam i go to in San Antonio, theyre all over TX, people seem to like em ;)

TEvans
Jun-15-2015, 3:36pm
I don't think there is a way to not like an Ellis, nor have I heard anybody claim they don't like them! Solid instruments through and through.

Definitely a lot of factors playing into the tuning! Bridge placement, fret height / wear, nut slots, etc...

I'll have to check out the camp out in Kerrville, and the string band festival!

pheffernan
Jun-15-2015, 5:02pm
I don't think there is a way to not like an Ellis, nor have I heard anybody claim they don't like them! Solid instruments through and through.

Are the neck profiles consistent across mandolins emerging from the Ellis shop (Ellis A, Ellis F, Pava)? I love the tone of my Pava but find its U-shaped neck a bit full in the shoulders and wonder if "upgrading" to an Ellis A would not only lead to better appointments -- varnish finish, Waverly tuners, James tailpiece, etc. -- but also a more comfortable for me smaller, more V-shaped neck.

LongBlackVeil
Jun-15-2015, 5:15pm
Are the neck profiles consistent across mandolins emerging from the Ellis shop (Ellis A, Ellis F, Pava)? I love the tone of my Pava but find its U-shaped neck a bit full in the shoulders and wonder if "upgrading" to an Ellis A would not only lead to better appointments -- varnish finish, Waverly tuners, James tailpiece, etc. -- but also a more comfortable for me smaller, more V-shaped neck.

Iv only played one pava and for a short time, so take this with a grain of salt. I remember the biggest difference by far was the feel of the neck. My ellis feels a lot more refined if that makes sense, and indeed slimmer. I couldn't imagine anyone describing the neck on mine as "full" I don't really remember the pava feeling like a full profile either though. The mandolins I had before this ellis was a the loar, and a weber, both known to have particularly full neck profiles. So it's all relative I suppose. My Ellis felt very slim compared to those

I can say that the necks felt worlds apart. Especially the binding on the neck seems to make a big difference. I don't know if you will like the ellis neck better, but they are different so if you don't like it, it will be for different reasons. I would describe mine as a slim, round neck. MAYBE a slight v, but a very very soft v at most

Glassweb
Jun-15-2015, 6:06pm
Hey Long Black Veil!

Are you in the Austin area? We should have an Ellis jam sometime!

On the note of tuners : I was in Tom's shop before I bought mine, and was inquiring about tuners. I had my mind set on waverly's just for their reputation. However, he told me that he often uses Gotoh tuners, specifically on A styles because they are "worm over" tuners - **I think I've got that right**. Anyways, the old school tuners are always "worm under" and when the string tension pulls on that string post, it often separates the gear from the post very slightly. Tom said he likes to use the Gotoh's for a worm over approach, where the string tension keeps the gears and the string post tight together.

My Ellis does have Gotoh's, and they are awesome. This thing holds a tune like nobody's business!

Gilchrist has been using Gotoh tuners for a long, long time. Good enuff for Gil, good enuff anyone!

FLATROCK HILL
Jun-15-2015, 6:32pm

I would really like to understand this line of thinking. Help!
It seems to me that the worm under (worm gear under, or closer to the body of the mandolin) would be the configuration where the two gears are pulled into closer proximity, no?.

Or, is the string tension (force) on the topside of the headstock causing a leverage effect (the headstock being the fulcrum), thereby causing the gears to be pulled apart on the bottom side of the headstock?
Thanks for any insight.

Oh, and why would he (Tom) feel that this effect is more important on A style than F?

TEvans
Jun-15-2015, 7:16pm
to Pheffernan, I would call my Ellis neck a soft V neck. Very thin and comfortable. The violin "speed" finish is particularly nice.

To Flatrock - Precisely. The string tension is pulling the top of the string post towards the body of the mandolin, thus making the underside of the string post (in contact with the tuner gear) to lean slightly away from the body. Thus, you have a slightly tighter connection between the gear and the string post.

So very much like the headstock is the fulcrum. Now, it isn't like it's seriously leaning. All of these things are very, very small changes.

Tobin
Jun-15-2015, 9:26pm

My Ellis definitely has a slimmer feel to the neck than my Pava. The Pava is more of a U shape, where the Ellis is more of a V.

LongBlackVeil
Jun-15-2015, 10:04pm
Oh, and why would he (Tom) feel that this effect is more important on A style than F?

You're really not given much choice on an f style unless ou want to make a radical aesthetic change

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-16-2015, 2:43am
In another thread re. 'worm over / under' - i mentioned that Tom Ellis likes the Gotoh's because they're available in both configs. & some folks prefer one or the other. Mine happen to be 'worm under' (post 39), but you can have one the other way around if you wish. I don't know what other's experience of Gotoh tuners has been,but i wouldn't hesitate in ordering a mandolin with Gotoh's on.
They're as smooth as silk in use,& rock solid when it comes to staying in tune. Sometimes you do get 'as good as' for less,
Ivan

FLATROCK HILL
Jun-16-2015, 10:31am
You're really not given much choice on an f style unless ou want to make a radical aesthetic change

Thanks. I guess if it is just a question of the aesthetics of the F5 peghead style, I can see your point. However, one of my F5s has the worm-over style tuners and I certainly wouldn't call it a "radical" change from the standard F5 look. The holes are just drilled a bit closer to the neck, bringing the tuner shafts to the same relative position (to the headstock) that the worm-under tuners would be.

Having owned both worm-over and worm-under Gotohs, I think they are great tuners that work well either way. Just never heard the argument re the force on the gears etc.

John Soper
Jun-17-2015, 4:28pm
Back to Ellis A-5 topic: I particularly like the modified Gibson A-3 curly-Q headstock inlays that he occasionally uses - one of my favorite looks.

TEvans
Jun-17-2015, 9:43pm
Hey John! I love the little curly-q inlay as well! I'm pretty certain that it is Abalone, too! I love the look of abalone, and how no two pieces of it are the same. Very cool!