PDA

View Full Version : Logan Weber vs Bend Weber

Isaac Revard
Mar-19-2015, 9:07am
Hello everyone, I was just curious if this population of mandolin aficionados knew of any differences in quality or otherwise between these two generations of Weber mandolins? Beyond their location of construction of course. I recently acquired an 04 weber gallatin.

NursingDaBlues
Mar-19-2015, 7:12pm
Hello everyone, I was just curious if this population of mandolin aficionados knew of any differences in quality or otherwise between these two generations of Weber mandolins? Beyond their location of construction of course. I recently acquired an 04 weber gallatin.
Something I've wondered about as well. It will be interesting to see the responses.

George R. Lane
Mar-19-2015, 7:36pm
Bruce Weber Sr. still lives in Montana and Bruce Jr. runs the Bend shop. Bruce Sr. was graduating the tops for the Ferns and Jr. doing the rest, he has worked along side his father for many years. I have played one Yellowstone from the Bend shop, the fit and finish was top notch and sounded like a Weber to me. So as far as having a Montana or Bend mandolin, I don't think there is much difference.

trevor
Mar-20-2015, 3:40am
I've over twenty Bend Webers (including a Fern) and I had hundreds of Montana Webers. No differences in fit and finish or tone, other than the normal varations from instrument to instrument.

spufman
Mar-20-2015, 11:33am
I don't recall reading a single comment in the Cafe about a change in quality.

Bob Clark
Mar-20-2015, 11:50am
I don't recall reading a single comment in the Cafe about a change in quality.

Nor do I. If there had been a change, I think we'd have heard lots of comments about it. I'd be comfortable buying one, in fact, I'm drooling over the little soprano and can only hold out for just so long!:grin:

DataNick
Mar-20-2015, 1:45pm
Something of note: Bruce Weber told me at NAMM back in January that he's going to start graduating tops again...

Isaac Revard
Mar-20-2015, 7:20pm
Awesome, being born and raised in Montana I have to say that I'm partial to something made in the big sky state. I heard that webers made in montana were soaked in rattlesnake venom, then dried and shipped to their purchaser. I can also see silhouettes of the rockies and herds of elk whenever I strum, interesting, must be the venom. I was curious if the Bend Webers had the same mysterious prowess. Because, I think my next purchase will be a Weber octave :)

George R. Lane
Mar-20-2015, 7:40pm
I heard that webers made in montana were soaked in rattlesnake venom, then dried and shipped to their purchaser. I can also see silhouettes of the rockies and herds of elk whenever I strum, interesting, must be the venom.:)

Zeek,
What you say is true and the best part is I only have to look out my window and see the Rockies, when I play. No Elk but, I have a few horses.

Josh Levine
Mar-21-2015, 9:47am
Pretty sure Bend webers get soaked in beer.

Marcus CA
Mar-21-2015, 2:20pm
I have played one Yellowstone from the Bend shop, the fit and finish was top notch and sounded like a Weber to me. So as far as having a Montana or Bend mandolin, I don't think there is much difference.

I've played a Yellowstone and a couple of others from Bend, since Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz usually has 10-15 new Webers in stock. I agree with George about the quality of the fit, finish, and tone, and would only add that the new finish colors aren't all traditional, so that could be either a plus or a minus for you.

Isaac Revard
Mar-21-2015, 4:12pm
Pretty sure Bend webers get soaked in beer.

What kinda beer? Or does it depend on the desired finish? I had to kill a mountain lion before I could purchase my Logan, it's pelt was the down payment and the nut was reworked from its canines.

mandroid
Mar-21-2015, 5:05pm
Daveee Davy Crockett , King of the wild Frontier :))