PDA

View Full Version : Tucson, Arizona Question...

Keith Erickson
Apr-10-2005, 7:21pm
Hey there Folks,

My better half and I will be visiting Tucson and would like to know if there are any mandolin shops to Explore?

Just curious if the pickin's are any better in Tucson.

Thanks, http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Flowerpot
Apr-11-2005, 12:22am
Well, there's the Folk Shop on Campbell, but they carry mostly lower end stuff, so no Gibsons, Collings, etc. They did have one Eastman that was pretty nice. They will have mostly MK's and economy Weber models. Rainbow Guitars is interesting, but not too much in the way of mandolins. There's not really a full-spectrum acoustic instrument store in town.

Turner Burner
Apr-11-2005, 10:58am
i lived in tucson for 3 years before i left in '97. i was amazed to find bluegrass jams/ workshops and even an acoustic music mini camp that I think was semi-annually.

i can't give you much in detail, but if you poke around you will definitely find that town has heart. it's there, just around the bend.

TCM

Spruce
Apr-11-2005, 11:43am
"Well, there's the Folk Shop on Campbell, but they carry mostly lower end stuff, so no Gibsons, Collings, etc."

I wouldn't miss the Folk Shop, even if they don't carry the high-end stuff...
What a great shop...
Lots 'o weird instruments, Mexican goodies, vintage mandolins (possibly), and is just generally a fun store to visit...
I never walk out of there without buying something very interesting that you can't find elsewhere...

And don't forget The Chicago Store...
How does one describe The Chicago Store??
It's a huge mish-mash of just about every instrument known to man...
You used to be able to peruse the attic and find old Vox pedals and even instruments (found a Vox Mando-caster there), and other relics from the 60's...
BTW, the prices on the tags are just a guideline... #
Barter heavily... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Just go wander around these 2 shops, and it will be a half-day well spent...

Flowerpot
Apr-11-2005, 12:21pm
That's true, I usually end up coming out of the Folk Shop with something, like some little percussion thingy (the name of which I could probably never pronounce) or some musical toy for the kids, or another Irish whistle for the wife.

AlanN
Apr-11-2005, 1:19pm
I remember Joe and the Chicago Store downtown. Back in the 70's, he had mandolins piled high, out of cases, just jammed in a corner. I could've picked up a 50's brown square case for $50, but I was broke then.

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Apr-12-2005, 11:56am
If you do get to the Folk Shop ask Paul if he has anything neat stashed away. Sometimes he may have something like a bussman mandola or a SOSmith Zouk stashed in the back.

If you want to pick any tunes, send me an email, I'd be happy to get together. Just email me through my site below, or PM me.

Cheers,
Mark