PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Jazzmando.com

Chris Widmer
Mar-17-2015, 8:05am
Maybe someone can help me this one: For some time now I haven't been able to access the website JazzMando.com - from two different computers (one running on Windows 7 and one on Windows 8). The message I get is that the ressource is not responding.

Thanks for any hints,

Chris

Ray(T)
Mar-17-2015, 9:34am
Just typed jazzmando.com into my search bar and up pops jazzmando - but I am using a Mac! My age old bookmark also still works.

Bill Snyder
Mar-17-2015, 10:19am
Chris are you still having the problem. I am on a Windows 8.1 machine using Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 11. Jazzmando pops right up with both.

Paul Merlo
Mar-17-2015, 11:33am
are you in China, the Czech Republic or Switzerland?
That site could be blocked and could have something to do with the suppression of independent and revolutionary thoughts.
I mean, you never know what those jazz-cats are thinking...

Nashville
Mar-17-2015, 11:56am
Works here. Must be blocked for you. http://jazzmando.com/

OldSausage
Mar-17-2015, 6:36pm
I think Spiez CH is in Switzerland, Confoederatio Helvetica. So I really doubt if they're blocking it. You know. The place where they invented the World Wide Web.

robert.najlis
Mar-17-2015, 6:53pm
I used to have problems accessing the site when I was in Argentina

MikeEdgerton
Mar-17-2015, 7:50pm
First clear your browsers cache (delete the Temporary Internet Files on IE).

If you're on Windows go to a CMD (RUN CMD) prompt and type the following:

ipconfig /flushdns

The hit Enter. Type exit and hit enter to close the window.

Now enter http://www.jazzmando.com in the browser address window and hit enter. If that doesn't work type jazzmando.com in the window and hit enter.

If you still can't get in chances are that the DNS records for jazzmando.com that are in use by your ISP are probably bad. Just for giggles go to that same CMD prompt and type ping jazzmando.com and tell me what IP address it reports back as.

Chris Widmer
Mar-18-2015, 2:10am
Thanks everbody for their input. Actually Spiez is in Switzerland. So I do have Swiss IP-addresses. But I have nothing to do with tax avoiding structures (as they all say here)...

@MikeEdgerton: I went through the procedure you suggested. Unfortunately, it didn't work. As for the ping I got the following report (translated from German):

"Ping is run for jazzmando.com [50.28.10.55] with 32 bytes data:
Time limit exceeded for request.

Ping-statistics for 50.28.10.55:
Packages: Sent = 4, received = 0, lost =4 (100% lost)."

Any other suggestions?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-18-2015, 4:07am
The IP address being returned in that first line is correct, there is something else keeping you from getting to the site. I would assume it's some sort of routing or blocking issue. I would contact your Internet Service Provider and give them that information and ask if they know why you can't get there. There are some other alternatives but they require changing settings that might interrupt your Internet Service and I would rather not go that route.

Chris Widmer
Mar-18-2015, 8:08am
Thanks, again. As suggested, I will contact my Internet Service Provider.

onassis
Mar-18-2015, 9:29am
I think Spiez CH is in Switzerland, Confoederatio Helvetica. So I really doubt if they're blocking it. You know. The place where they invented the World Wide Web.

Hold on...Al Gore is from Switzerland?

KEB
Mar-18-2015, 10:49am
You could do a tracert to see exactly where the issue is occurring... but I doubt that it would give you any actually useful data.... but it is pretty cool to see where your traffic is coming from.

You could try to use a free web proxy to get there if your isp is being a pain. You'd probably have to deal with some annoying web ads and slower page loads, but a service like https://hide.me/en/proxy might work for you.

Chris Widmer
Mar-19-2015, 1:45am
I can access jazzmando.com again! Yesterday evening, just as I was about to contact my Internet Service Provider, I checked once more, whether I can access jazzmando.com and voilą, it worked. So possibly the cure Mike suggested worked after a restart of the computer. Either this or Swiss counterintelligence realised that the views spread by jazzmando.com aren't that harmful after all...

Thanks again everybody for their support!

Chris

Ted Eschliman
Mar-19-2015, 9:00am
Apologies for the inconvenience, Chris. I've had problems internationally, more from South America and Africa with my host blacklisting regions, sometimes entire countries. I did check with my host and she told me Switzerland (CH) was not included in the blacklist, and as an extra precaution, whitelisted the IP address you used to access this forum.

I'm in a bit of a quandary what to do about my site in the future. I've been ducking a major update, transitioning from an older authoring program (MovableType) to something more current and popular (WordPress, for example). I'm told using the older version I have opens me up more attacks, and that's why my server has to be unusually harsh with the blacklist.

I'm due a restructuring of the entire site, making it easier for readers to find resources, including the chord and scale patterns, reviews, playing techniques, theory, etc. This is a daunting task, and considering it's a labor of love (and not-for-profit), I have to decide how or even if I want to proceed.

I've appreciated everyone's support and kind words.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-19-2015, 10:57am
I probably should have told you to reboot afterwards. Glad it's working.

Verne Andru
Mar-19-2015, 7:34pm
I'm in the same boat with mine. While WordPress has been suggested, when I check my logs those are the exact files the hackers are trying to get at, so beware. My sites have been solid largely because it's proprietary code and I kinda like it that way.

Chris Widmer
Mar-20-2015, 1:27am
You don't have to apologize Ted. I can imagine that - sadly - there is quite a number of sinister people trying to harm your altruistic and outstandig work.

It's just great to have access again to such fantastic resources as you offer on your website! It's a real boost to my efforts to get a grip on the mandolin. Thanks for your more than generous sharing.

Chris

Sevelos
Aug-28-2017, 12:51pm
I was never able to access jazzmando from Israel. Tried different computers and devices, and different ISPs.
Maybe Israel is blacklisted?

I get this:
This site can’t be reached

The webpage at http://jazzmando.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Search Google for jazzmando
ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED

Jairo Ramos
Aug-28-2017, 5:56pm
I was never able to access jazzmando from Colombia too, since years ago. I bought Mr. Eschliman book recently, and I must to use a free proxy to navigate the site.