PDA

View Full Version : I Recently Inherited a Mandolin

Brendan A
Mar-15-2015, 11:44pm
So yeah, title gives a nice overview. I recently inherited this mandolin from my Grandpa, and I got it from my Grandma last Sunday. As far as I know, he got in an auction in St. Louis, but I couldn't tell you when he bought it. This is my first mandolin, so I've just got a few things to show and some questions about it as well.

Here's a general overview of the body, which has an interesting shape to it.

I took it to a shop last week to get it put in playable condition. I asked them if they knew who the maker might be because there aren't any markings on it that give anything away. They initially suspected Larson, but changed their mind when I picked it up and think it might be homemade/Italian.

Here's a close up of the purfling by the tone hole and by the "scroll", though it's more of a point.

Moving down, here's the tailpiece. I kind of like how it looks, because it adds character and shows the age of the instrument as well (though I have no idea how it could be). The biggest downside of this mandolin is that there isn't a spot for me to put a strap on the bottom, so it's difficult to hold and play. I've found the easiest way to play it is to put the bottom point on my knee as a rest, and angle the instrument up and play.

Here's a shot of the neck as well. The third fret was replaced at some point, but it needs to be leveled out.

Finally, here's a shot of the back of the mandolin. The back was cracked at one point, but patched. There's also a nice crack on the back of the head as well, so I feel like these happened at the same time. The lacquer on the back is uneven, and it's the same with the sides, which makes me feel like this was homemade.

So with all of that, would you guys have any idea as to who made this/where it might have come from? Also, if you could give any tips on holding it properly, that would be much appreciated!

zedmando
Mar-16-2015, 12:01am
I've seen pictures of Larson ones in books that look similar---but it could also be a knock off or a custom or as you said--homemade.

But whichever it is--it looks cool--and is a memento of your grandfather.
So that's cool too.

I'll let the experts here answer your questions though, and just end by saying--no matter what it is--enjoy!

Jim Garber
Mar-16-2015, 10:06am
Not home-made or Italian and I can say with some confidence that it is not Larson-made either. Beleive it or not, I have seen quite a few of these. I believe that it could have been made by the Harmony Company in Chicago. They are known for some wildly shaped instruments and the parquet binding reminds me of some instruments they made for Sear Roebuck, their parent company. Another possibility would be the Lyon & Healy Company.

The Larsons are an excellent bucket to put vintage instruments into since they never signed their own instruments and sometimes there are no brands on them. My though tho is to always assume it is not Larson unless someone can truly affirm that it is, with some real examination of details. This wholesale attribution to the Larsons drives me nuts.

Yours looks like it was through the mill. Did your grandfather actually play it? How does it play? How well was that headstock crack repaired? I would be concerned with that and string it with light gauge strings. That fretboard looks a little rough too. Does it play well all the way up the neck?

Here is another, less-fancy one that appeared on Lowell Levinger's site:

Here is one that looks closer to yours:

Brendan A
Mar-16-2015, 7:21pm
The crack on the neck hasn't been repaired as of yet, that's a $300 - $400 repair that I can't pay for right now. I don't keep tension on the strings when it rests because of that. However, when I do tune it up, it sounds great and it resonates extremely well on almost every string and fret. The only one that sounds kind of iffy is when the E strings go up past the 10th fret. I honestly didn't notice this until I read your post, as I haven't played anything on it that required me to go that high yet.

I don't know if he played it or not. Odds are that he might have played around on it, but nothing too extensive. He primarily played accordion, piano, bass and saxophone.

OldGus
Mar-17-2015, 12:59pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?85819-New-member-1st-post-need-help-i-d-quot-Washington-quot-mandolin