PDA

View Full Version : Strange Mandolin-like instrument from garage sale

408strings
Mar-15-2015, 2:03pm

It has 6 courses of 2 strings, each string of the course is the same guage. Seems to be a cross between 2 spanish instruments; a Laud and a Bandurria. It is joined to the body at the 12th fret like a Laud, and has a neck width similar to the laud, though it has a shorter scale, but has the small body of the bandurria which would be joined at the 7th fret. I ordered a set of Laud strings for it. The guy I bought it from said it was from Cuba, but it has a much smaller body than a Laud Cubana.

It also has an adjustable metal bridge which is glued.

Any ideas about whether this instrument has a name, and even more importantly, how should I tune it?

I measured this mystery instrument and from the nut to the bridge it is around 15 inches (380mm).

Ahh yes, and the key info: I paid 15.00$ for it.

Steve VandeWater
Mar-15-2015, 3:12pm
Sorry I can't help, but that is very cool. I wish I could find something like that for 15 bucks. Please post a sound clip when you get it all figured out.

zedmando
Mar-16-2015, 12:37am
Looks cool--I'd have pad $15 for it--no problem--at worst it will look cool hanging on the wall.

It's close to several instruments on this website (http://www.atlasofpluckedinstruments.com/index.htm), and could be a variation on any number of them.

Maybe contact him & send a picture--see what he says.

Jim Garber
Mar-16-2015, 7:11am
It looks like a Filipino laud, similar to this one, only with 12 strings.