PDA

View Full Version : No mando content, happy Pi day!

Charles E.
Mar-14-2015, 9:28am
Today is National Pi Day and a special one at that. At 9:26 it will be 3.1415926.

So lets all have some pie. :)

Scott Tichenor
Mar-14-2015, 10:03am
And remember... Pie are not square! Pie are round! Cornbread are square!

Celebrated already in this household. More info (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/03/pi_day_2015_ten_digits_represented_on_march_14_at_ 9_26_53.html) for those scratching their head. I haven't celebrated this hard since Unix time hit one billion.

Pi song performed by Lawrence, Kansas' Alfred Packer String Band. Mandatory musical content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9WWPbOwbi4

sunburst
Mar-14-2015, 10:16am
This seems as good a place to ask as any.
Yesterday, I was wondering... had "pi day" been established in 1592? Probably not, I would guess.

(BTW, I'm thinking key lime later today :) )

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-14-2015, 10:19am
Also Albert Einstein's birthday... and mine...

Ellen T
Mar-14-2015, 2:42pm
Happy Pi Day, Happy Birthday Eddie Sheehy and his time-travel twin Albert, and I am making a faux-key lime pie (just regular lime juice) with a coconut crust.

Does "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie" count for music content?

Dave Cohen
Mar-14-2015, 2:57pm
Happy Pi day! If people can recognize pi with a day, maybe we could work up to some other days for some other mathematical and physical constants, e.g., say, e (base of the natural logarithm), G (gravitational constant), h (Planck's constant),..., permitivity of free space, gyromagnetic ratio, maybe even i (aka J, square root of -1),...

Pete Jenner
Mar-14-2015, 3:29pm
I hesitate to mention this lest it be considered petty but it's only Pi day in the USA due to the strange way you express your dates with the month before the day. In the rest of the world it is 14/03/15. :whistling:

Happy birthday Eddie. :)

Charles E.
Mar-14-2015, 3:30pm
Dave, I do not know about any of that but 'Plancks Constant' would be a good name for a fiddle tune. ;)

Bill Snyder
Mar-14-2015, 3:46pm
Peter, fwiw, the various branches of the US military express dates all jumbled up like you do. :)

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-14-2015, 3:52pm
Dave, I do not know about any of that but 'Plancks Constant' would be a good name for a fiddle tune. ;)

Down the Old Planck Road

Mandoplumb
Mar-14-2015, 4:20pm
I hesitate to mention this lest it be considered petty but it's only Pi day in the USA due to the strange way you express your dates with the month before the day. In the rest of the world it is 14/03/15. :whistling:

Who says our way is strange to me your way is strange.

Timbofood
Mar-14-2015, 5:20pm
Peter, just because we are different doesn't make us wrong, just peculiar.;)

Joseph Baker
Mar-14-2015, 6:44pm
Personally, there's only two kinds of pie that I like: Hot and cold.
Although, I've been known to choke down a lukewarm one, in my time.

Happy pi Day to all !

Joseph Baker

Gary Leonard
Mar-14-2015, 7:22pm
Mmmm, pie. And cornbread. Wash it down with a circle of fifths, but I tend to buy my liquor in larger sizes.

Hudmister
Mar-14-2015, 7:32pm
This seems as good a place to ask as any.
Yesterday, I was wondering... had "pi day" been established in 1592? Probably not, I would guess.

(BTW, I'm thinking key lime later today :) )

1592 was a "leap year" so it is possible that "pi day" was established then. BTW, I'm thinking key lime also.

Timbofood
Mar-14-2015, 7:38pm
I should have made one earlier! Cherry, pumpkin, pecan. I wonder would a walnut tart qualify? Maybe next year I will plan ahead better, probably not. Dag nabit!

zedmando
Mar-15-2015, 12:59am

In some places the year comes first.
so 150314

But in canada we're quite flexible about it--so have some pi, and some pie.

JeffD
Mar-15-2015, 3:08am

Yea its not International Pi Day, I guess. That's ok. I had a great time. I explained Pi to a bunch of grade schoolers at the community center, by rolling soup cans of different sizes. Had them fascinated. Though I am much more of a Tau day kind of guy. Just couldn't wait till June, 28, 2031.

Pete Jenner
Mar-15-2015, 4:40am
Every day is pie day here.

F-2 Dave
Mar-15-2015, 8:16am
Played at a pie auction last night. Coconut Cream won the night with Apple and Pecan coming in close behind.