PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Acoustic, Just doing your job??

Randy Linam
Mar-12-2015, 10:12am
It is seldom that I review a product, and there are very few businesses that I take my time to openly praise. I have always been of the mindset that if I pay you for a product or service you should provide me with a quality product or service. End of story.

However, there are those special times when I am so impressed by a product or service that I feel compelled to SHOUT IT TO THE WORLD! In this case, the mandolin world will have to suffice.

Anywho, this is my story. A few weeks ago I purchased a 1976 Ibanez 524CW from the café classifieds. I knew going into the purchase there was problems with "delamination" of the headstock. When the Ibanez arrived it was absolutely beautiful and in superb condition, except for the headstock.

It was kinda like taking the most beautiful girl in school to the prom with a giant zit on the tip of her nose. But never fear, Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic is here! I found out that Steve at Cumberland Acoustic not only makes the finest mandolin bridge available, he and his staff do exceptional luthier work also.

After a phone call and some emails I sent the Ibanez to Steve where he and his staff started to work their magic. Steve refinished the headstock (which was no minor task) and fit the Ibanez with a CA bridge and did a fresh set-up.

The mandolin arrived yesterday, and I opened it this morning after an acclimation period. The best words I can find to offer are: I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!

My Ibanez no longer has a giant zit on its nose, it is by far the most beautiful girl at the prom. If anyone thinks all Cumberland Acoustic is good for is a top quality bridges you are sadly mistaken. Their luthier work is top tier also.

I do not know how to attach two photos, so I will post a before the an after in the nest post. BTW-I have no financial interest in CA.

Thanks Steve,
Randy

Randy Linam
Mar-12-2015, 10:15am

Timbofood
Mar-12-2015, 10:38am
I love to praise when warranted, sadly it doesn't happen often enough in the world. However, the mandolin world rotates on a different plane, lots of good folks, all praiseworthy!
Hey Randy, have you gotten you truss rod covers done yet?

Randy Linam
Mar-12-2015, 12:12pm
I love to praise when warranted, sadly it doesn't happen often enough in the world. However, the mandolin world rotates on a different plane, lots of good folks, all praiseworthy!
Hey Randy, have you gotten you truss rod covers done yet?

I'm working on it.

darrylicshon
Mar-12-2015, 1:39pm
It looks great, i love Ibanez and want one just like yours , enjoy and play play play

Bill Snyder
Mar-12-2015, 8:41pm
Looks good. Steve posts here semi-regularly, as a matter of fact we have seen photos from him of this instrument in THIS THREAD (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?113008-Finish-Repair-on-Celluloid-Faced-Headstock-on-Ibanez-F-5).
Looks Good.

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-13-2015, 3:47am
Well done Randy - It's always great to see somebody showing their appreciation for good workmanship,& that was most certainly good !. Steve has a terrific reputation for his bridges etc.,but i was totally unaware of his luthiery work,as i'll bet are many other folk - but hopefully, not any more,
Ivan

darylcrisp
Mar-13-2015, 6:28pm
looks like a top shelf job was performed!

thanks for posting
d

Steve VandeWater
Mar-13-2015, 7:53pm
That is a beautiful headstock. I don't know if its the photography or what, but the color is stunning

Randy Linam
Mar-15-2015, 6:21pm
That is a beautiful headstock. I don't know if its the photography or what, but the color is stunning

Both pictures were made with an iPhone 6 camera. Thank you for your compliment. Steve and his guys did a spectacular job!

Emmett Marshall
Mar-19-2015, 10:56pm
I just sent Steve a mandolin for mods and a bridge. Great guy and definitely knows what he's doing.

MysTiK PiKn
Mar-19-2015, 11:51pm
"High Tek, Martha. High Tek". ;)

Wow, reading both threads was quite the show.