PDA

View Full Version : Redline Acoustic new A-5 style mandolin

mando1man
Mar-09-2015, 6:43pm
Steve Smith of Redline Acoustics let me borrow one of his new A-5 style mandolins. Very nice. Especially when you consider the starting price is under $2000. Check out the YouTube I made.
UuRW16KvdWE

Bill Snyder
Mar-09-2015, 8:41pm
Wrong forum

GKWilson
Mar-10-2015, 1:56pm
mando1man. You'll find better feedback in the 'Post a picture of your mandolin' forum.
This forum is for building and repair questions and ideas.
Gary

ccravens
Mar-10-2015, 3:25pm
This video brings up something that's been on my mind lately. Before getting down to it, so I don't seem like a jerk, let me first say a couple of things:

#1 - this is an awesome sounding instrument at a great price
#2 - you are a superb mandolin player; better than I probably ever will be.

I mean both of those things in all honesty. But the video section 1:00-1:08 brings up something that has me puzzled lately. And this video isn't the only example; I've heard audio examples from another seller of mandos (which I shall not name because they are totally awesome people!) with this same thing. The 8 second section ends with you saying it's got a "great chop." I'm sure it probably does, because it sounds so great in every other department. But I didn't hear anything that remotely sounded like a "chop" to me.

Is it just me, or is a bluegrass chop much more staccato and percussive? Given that any musical term can be relative, is there a standard definition of a "chop," and was this an example?

I'm of the opinion that it isn't, but I'm prepared to be open to opinions on the subject.

BTW, great mando and playing; it just so happens that this was an example of something that's been on my mind lately. No offense intended!

mando1man
Mar-10-2015, 4:04pm
This is not my mandolin. I'm not selling anything. It's about a new builder, Steve Smith and Redline Acoustics. This builder has a new product so that is why I picked this forum. If a Moderator of this Forum tells me to take it down I will.

JEStanek
Mar-10-2015, 8:45pm
Steve's been making A5s for over a year or two, if I recall. I'll move this into the post a picture thread. I just think more people will see it there.

Jamie

Bill Snyder
Mar-10-2015, 10:22pm
FWIW, Steve is a semi-regular on the Mandolin Cafe forum. He posted a thread or two on these mandolins himself when he started marketing them.
The Builders and Repairs is not a forum for new mandolins it is a forum for "Discussions for those with an interest in the construction and repair of mandolin family instruments." (Sub-title to the section)
I take that to mean a "how is this done" or perhaps a "this is how I do this" section.

Ron McMillan
Mar-11-2015, 12:01am
Very nice mandolin and fine playing. But at what point, with the company web URL and company logo permanently affixed, does a clip move away from the personal thoughts of a friend of the maker, and drift into advertising?

pheffernan
Mar-11-2015, 3:49pm
Rob has posted similar videos of the Redline Travelers. I appreciate them!

rfSHoVdlK08

yWIQu09jDTc

JaFdasGyLeg

I haven't had a Traveler in my signature in a while...

sgarrity
Mar-11-2015, 4:20pm
Thanks for posting. Always fun to see what's new out there!

Scott Tichenor
Mar-11-2015, 5:44pm
Not sure what the intent with these videos really is but it looks like advertising to me. Lets stay away from that. Does not serve this community well and is a violation of Forum Guidelines.