PDA

View Full Version : GAS, BAS, Whatever....

BlowingRockNC
Mar-09-2015, 12:45pm
For banjo players, it's called "banjo acquisition syndrome." For guitar players, it's called "guitar acquisition syndrome." GAS or BAS, all the same. I think we all have been afflicted with it. For some months now, I've been selling off banjos. I'm now down to my two favorites, but I could be convinced to sell one of them, but I doubt I'll sell it. I've also been more slowly selling off a couple of tenor guitars, so I'll be left with just one, which is the one I most recently purchased (brass-body National resonator tenor guitar). Given my age and health, it just doesn't make sense for me to have a room full of instruments. I've always tried to play them all, switching from week to week, but I've decided that I prefer to stick with my favorites. Now, I only hope I don't change my mind again in the future. Oh, I've made a little profit on some sales, and I've lost on others. I don't really care, though, since I enjoyed them while I had them, and the market hasn't been too hot for the past year or so. Hey, there are good deals to be had out there, but I still doubt many folks will end up with a profit in the end. The real profit is in the playing, the enjoyment, and the company of other players. Just saying.

JeffD
Mar-09-2015, 1:01pm
The real profit is in the playing, the enjoyment, and the company of other players. Just saying.

There it is.

zedmando
Mar-09-2015, 3:43pm
I subscribe to the John Entwhistle collecting strategy--buy them & don't sell them.

But I get that some people do.
But GAS (as in gear) affects each person a little differently.

RichM
Mar-09-2015, 3:56pm
I subscribe to the John Entwhistle collecting strategy--buy them & don't sell them.

Yay! Another excuse to share this video!

http://youtu.be/nRCk7M3O2Es

zedmando
Mar-09-2015, 3:57pm
Like you need an excuse...
It is a cool video, and I should have posted it as well.
I have seen it before--(and the movie it is featured in.)

JeffD
Mar-09-2015, 4:05pm
I have only sold two, a bouzouki, that I had for a lot of years but just wasn't playing, to a friend on the west coast who frequents these haunts, and a mandola, that I sold to someone in my band, so I still get to see it and hear it.

zedmando
Mar-11-2015, 2:50am
and a mandola, that I sold to someone in my band, so I still get to see it and hear it.

I've told friends if they ever sell the guitar, pedal, amp or whatever--to let me know--and I'd still let them borrow it or see it if they wanted to--but they never do...