PDA

View Full Version : New addition - Weber Bitterroot

Gary Leonard
Mar-06-2015, 5:12pm
Added a nice Weber Bitterroot as a companion to the Collings MT. I am set for the foreseeable future. Really. I swear.

Michael Bridges
Mar-07-2015, 7:14am
That's a great looking pair! Congrats. Bet they sound just as good.

Teak
Mar-07-2015, 8:45am
Added a nice Weber Bitterroot as a companion to the Collings MT. I am set for the foreseeable future. Really. I swear.

Nope, not set. You need a nice oval hole mandolin now. Keep looking. :whistling:

Al Trujillo
Mar-07-2015, 9:51am
Sweet! I understand the whole MAS thing, but now I'm suffering from MAEnvy! Enjoy them.

Michael Bridges
Mar-07-2015, 10:00am
"Beware of Mandolin Envy. To MAS that leads."

chasray
Mar-07-2015, 10:09am
Yes, you need an oval hole A and maybe an electric. Ha! Actually those are two quality instruments. Enjoy. But don't be surprised if you are still tempted....

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-08-2015, 5:43am
'' Brothers from a different mother " !. That's a beautiful duo you have there - enjoy the heck out of them,:grin:
Ivan~:>

tmsweeney
Mar-08-2015, 8:33am
nice pair

darrylicshon
Mar-08-2015, 9:20am
They look like they were made to be a pair , congrats and enjoy your great looking pair

JeffD
Mar-08-2015, 2:44pm

Well that future is going to be a whole lot of fun. Those are two wonderful instruments.

Mike Arakelian
Mar-08-2015, 3:10pm
Congratulations...you've got two really great mandolins!

Randi Gormley
Mar-09-2015, 12:15pm
What gorgeous instruments!

Charles E.
Mar-09-2015, 8:23pm
Wonderful, how would you compare the tone between the two?

Gary Leonard
Mar-09-2015, 9:31pm
Wonderful, how would you compare the tone between the two?

Collings MT: Warm and balanced. Easy to drive (loud) with solid strum, and just as easy to gently strum and let the delicate side out.
Weber Bitterroot: Bright, more of what I think of a bluegrass sound, somewhat twangy. Loud when really driving it, with a gentle right hand, not as satisfying as the MT.

The reason I bought the Weber was because it was voiced so differently from the MT. I tried a Collings MF, a few strums and I hung it back on the wall. To my ears, it was just like my MT except F style.

ccravens
Mar-13-2015, 9:18am
The reason I bought the Weber was because it was voiced so differently from the MT. I tried a Collings MF, a few strums and I hung it back on the wall. To my ears, it was just like my MT except F style.

Good description; I was also wondering about the difference in tone.

As per your comment, that is what so many people have remarked about Colling's work: the incredible consistency from mandolin to mandolin. I would fully have expected the MF to sound just like your MT. The same is pretty true for their guitar lines as well.

JEStanek
Mar-13-2015, 10:26am
Enjoy.

pheffernan
Mar-13-2015, 1:52pm
As per your comment, that is what so many people have remarked about Colling's work: the incredible consistency from mandolin to mandolin. I would fully have expected the MF to sound just like your MT.

I would have expected some difference, if only for the Adirondack as opposed to Engelmann top. As comfortable as I find my MT to play, I often wonder how an MT2 might sound in my hands.