PDA

View Full Version : Cannot make a decision between two Mandolins.

BuckshotBrooks
Mar-04-2015, 10:37am
I really like the Eastman 315 for its non glossy brown finish and Eastman's reputation. I also really like the Kentucky 805 a lot. I love the bar inlays. For whatever reason they appeal to me. I'm sure that I will enjoy either one but is the Kentucky with the bar inlays really worth the extra cheese? I live in a small town and have no way of playing either one. Thanks in advance for your input.

nickster60
Mar-04-2015, 11:24am
I think the Eastman 315 is a bargain. If you were going to go with the Kentucky you should go up to the the Kentucky 1000 model.

Tobin
Mar-04-2015, 1:32pm
It's funny to hear someone call San Angelo a small town. I did a lot of my growing up in San Angelo and Robert Lee. To me, San Angelo (or just "Angelo" as we called it) was the big city! I've been out there a few times in the last couple of years for family funerals, and it has really grown a lot on the outskirts. But it still has the same vibe I remember as a kid.

As for the block inlays on the Kentucky, no, it doesn't add any real value or functionality to the instrument. You'd be paying the extra cheese for it just because you like the looks, and nothing more. That's up to you. But my advice for mandolins in this price range is to focus on the quality and sound first, and get the most bang for your buck in those departments. Bling and fancy stuff is great if you're buying an instrument that's already "all that and a bag of chips" in the tone department and you just want to gild the lily with adornments. But at this level of instrument quality/price, I'd be thinking more about the best sound, and getting the best value on that. Just my opinion, though! Visual aesthetics may be more important to you.

9lbShellhamer
Mar-04-2015, 1:52pm
I second that the Eastman will probably sound good, but I think the Kentucky will also sound great and have a much better overall finish job in general. Those Kentucky's are a good bargain. I have a KM 950 and can't recommend it highly enough. I personally think they are a STEAL at only $1000. If you HAVE to have an F shaped mando...I'd probably pick the Kentucky over the Eastman.

BuckshotBrooks
Mar-04-2015, 4:53pm
Nice to meet another from San Angelo. It is a small town to me as I grew up in San Antonio and Dallas. There is only one small Tarpley music store here that has very limited inventory...Sounds from all of your support that I will end up being happy with either choice. I really appreciate you all taking the time to comment.:mandosmiley:

Northwest Steve
Mar-04-2015, 6:35pm
One thing I would say about the difference between an Eastman and Kentucky is the Eastman's have a smaller neck and frets. Some of the Kentucky's have a bigger U shaped neck and some also have the larger frets. So if you have small hands/fingers an Eastman would be a good choice. If you have big hands and sausage fingers bigger frets/neck might be more comfortable. Both make good instruments and most would be happy with either, but like any instrument there will be some jewels out of a batch. I started out with an Eastman 305 and like it a lot, sounded very good and played well after I had it setup properly. I liked the satin finish and it had lots of sustain.I did sell my 305 when I had the opportunity to pick-up a used Kentucky 1050. There is a big upgrade in quality, sound and playability to me. I was at a local bluegrass monthly performance and there was a really good mandolin player. His instrument sounded great, I was able to get close enough to see the Eastman logo (possibly a 515) The A vs F subject has been touched on in a prior post. If you must have an F that is understandable, but if you can get past the scroll I would second the suggestion above for a Kentucky 900/950. The 900/950 and 1000/1050 models are "master models" and are to be made in a separate shop with better materials and luithers. The 900/1000 have standard frets and a flat finger board while the 950/1050 have a radius finger board and larger frets (very comfortable to play). If you just want something reasonable to start with I would consider the 305 over the 315 because if you like it you will probably be wanting to upgrade in the not to distant future? Seems to be a contagious disease people catch here. Lastly you might find this ad interesting

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/84465

BuckshotBrooks
Mar-05-2015, 12:50am
Went with the kentucky 805...I do not think that I have been playing long enough to observe the subtle differences as I am pretty happy with the Michael Kelly that I have been playing. I do not have sausage fingers but I am not small, so the slightly wider frets sound nice to me. I will still by an Eastman 315 just to own it by the end of the year. Life is good...Thank you all.