PDA

View Full Version : Pig in a poke?

rnb54
Mar-03-2015, 10:18pm
What are the thoughts on 76 Gibson F5? Unfortunately I can't play it first, internet. It does have a couple of fearures I've never seen. It has a quilted maple back and simple dot inlay on the finver board. Any thoughts/ advise out there?

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-04-2015, 3:07am
A link to the advert would have been a good idea. From what i've read on the Cafe site over the years i've been on here,is that the 1970's Gibsons weren't partcularly good mandolins from a 'sound' quality perspective. Anyway,regardless of make/model,you should always have the chance to play it & appraise it & return it if you don't like it,Gibson or ''whatever'',
Ivan

G7MOF
Mar-04-2015, 4:41am
Pig in a poke! That's a good North of England saying.
Unfortunately here in the UK people aren't as positive about giving a 48hour approval period, so most are bought on description alone.

Timbofood
Mar-04-2015, 6:52am
Might be questionable as to authenticity, I don't know that I have seen a "genuine" quilted maple back from that era. I hate to say it but quite a few parts "escaped" the plant back then, it may be assembled from some of those. Not casting aspersions just questioning. I would be very happy to be proven wrong about that.

rnb54
Mar-04-2015, 9:06am
Timothy, that's sort of what I'm thinking as well. I've never seen an F5 with dots on the finger board either. It does have both labels inside, but who knows?

Eric F.
Mar-04-2015, 9:10am
This was not a good period for Gibson. I'd stay away.

rnb54
Mar-04-2015, 9:10am
Thanks Ivan. It was on ebay and ended with no bids. He is supposed to re-post this weekend.

UsuallyPickin
Mar-04-2015, 9:32am
I had a 74' that was a good mandolin. That being said I would not purchase a mandolin from this period without playing it first. The Gumby or lump scroll models had single dot fret board markers and both labels. They were also labeled A 12 for some reason. The F5 models from this period had some very fancy curly cutouts for fret board markers. The varnish also turns a nicotine brown color due to a different hardener used then. Carter's Vintage Guitar in Nashville has a 73' for sale currently if you want to look at some comparison photos online.... R/

J.Albert
Mar-05-2015, 8:23pm
I wouldn't buy a Gibson mandolin from the '70's, not even an F-5.

Let this one pass...