PDA

View Full Version : The Eight Laws of Guitar (& Mandolin) Etiquette

Petrus
Feb-28-2015, 4:54pm
Probably good general advice ... gods know I've been guilty of a few of these. :redface:

The 8 Laws of Guitar Etiquette: Tips for the Store, Relationships and More

1. Stores are for checking out gear, not showcasing your shred.
2. If people didn’t pay to see you, their conversations come first.
3. If it’s not your gear, put the settings (and the items) back where they were.
4. Play in tune.
5. When sharing a stage, respect the other acts who still need to use it.
6. Stick around to support the other acts after you play.
7. Unless you live by yourself on a farm, there are times when you shouldn’t play (loudly).

8. Don't hide your gear purchases.

I might be on a slippery slope here, not only because this is coming from someone with acute gear acquisition syndrome (GAS) who works for Reverb, but let's be honest: transparency about your gear lust is generally the best way to go. If playing music and scouting gear is a huge part of your life, then it should be something you share freely with the people in your life. Let them accept it as a part of who you are. The dark side to this emerges when music becomes a way to block out or hide from other things in your life, when getting a piece of gear becomes a requisite for happiness and an end in itself (rather than using the gear). I'm not saying music shouldn't be an escape from time to time - that is its restorative power - but hiding purchases is a road to more stress than the music you're playing can relieve. You can always sell gear, drop birthday/holiday hints and save up over time if you can't quite stretch it financially right this very moment.

http://reverb.com/blog/the-8-laws-of-guitar-etiquette

lflngpicker
Feb-28-2015, 5:24pm
This a great post, and as much as I liked the list, the prose below it made me think. I believe in buying what you can pay for and not buying to only burden your future and cause pain and guilt. I agree-- music should be about playing it, though a bit of MAS satisfied is a good thing. The joy of playing (and singing) should be the point. The nicer the instrument the more rewarding, but within reason. A great musician can make any decent instrument sound wonderful. I am appreciative of this well stated posting.

allenhopkins
Feb-28-2015, 5:47pm
"Don't hide your gear purchases" -- but don't brag on them either.

Though an inveterate toy collector, I recognize that music is only partially about the means used to make it. I can respect someone with one old beat-up instrument, who plays music honestly to the best of his/her skill and inspiration, just as much as I can respect one with a Lloyd Loar F-5 worth $200K (though that might be an "old beat-up instrument" as well).

Music is a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts, even if one part's the fascinating world of mandolins.

Mandobart
Feb-28-2015, 7:53pm
"Don't hide your gear purchases" -- but don't brag on them either

That and laziness are why you don't see a list of my instruments in my posts. ;-)

Hudmister
Feb-28-2015, 8:30pm
Since when did we decide there are guitar (and mandolin) etiquette laws? What about banjos? I'll bet you never thought about that did you? Law number nine, there are no rules to govern music, only musicians. We don't need no stink'in guitar (and mandolin etiquette) Feel free to go where the spirit leads, there are no laws in this vast and wondrous land.

Violingirl
Feb-28-2015, 9:22pm
#6 isa particular pet peeve of mine. I have a recital this afternoon and I bet once people's kids are thru playing they will up and leave. So rude. We sat thru your child playing, you should sit thru ours as well. Your child will benefit from hearing others and you will tach them a valuable lesson. And if I am playing in a group I always listen to those before and after. Always. I don't care if it is awful or it. It's polite and supportive. It takes a lot to get up and play a piece all u your lonesome and I applaud every single one who does. ☺️

Bob Clark
Feb-28-2015, 9:34pm
#6 isa particular pet peeve of mine. I have a recital this afternoon and I bet once people's kids are thru playing they will up and leave. So rude. We sat thru your child playing, you should sit thru ours as well. Your child will benefit from hearing others and you will tach them a valuable lesson. And if I am playing in a group I always listen to those before and after. Always. I don't care if it is awful or it. It's polite and supportive. It takes a lot to get up and play a piece all u your lonesome and I applaud every single one who does. ☺️

Amen to that. I'm in full agreement.

Timbofood
Feb-28-2015, 10:42pm
You can't "legislate" manners, people are going to leave when they have had enough. That's just the way of the world, it's the "I want what I want when I want it" attitude that is becoming so pervasive in society. All the points brought to light in the OP really could be addressed by simply remembering the "golden rule".
No, not "he who has the gold, makes the rules"
We are becoming more and more so "self" driven, we lose sight of simple courtesy. We need to return to some stage of civility.

Petrus
Feb-28-2015, 11:55pm
Since when did we decide there are guitar (and mandolin) etiquette laws? What about banjos? I'll bet you never thought about that did you? Law number nine, there are no rules to govern music, only musicians. We don't need no stink'in guitar (and mandolin etiquette) Feel free to go where the spirit leads, there are no laws in this vast and wondrous land.

Cool. Lemme know when your next show is so I can bring my mando and play over you the whole time. 'Cause that's my thing, man. :grin:

Dave Hanson
Mar-01-2015, 3:53am
, not showcasing your ' shred.' for the benefit of earth people, what on earth in this context is a shred ?

Dave H

stevedenver
Mar-01-2015, 10:21am
well it is polite to stay and listen to others, and, yet.....
it also depends, imho, on the venue and community involved, and, if you play at 7 do you really want to stay until 11 because you "ought to". This is VERY different from a school recital of a child's peers and their parents, imho.

For anyone who's ever been to an open mic/stage, like it or not, more often than not, it about playing your 3-5 tunes and leaving-that's why theres a lottery for play order, if you're first, you have choice as to if you want to hear the guy with the autoharp who yodels.

I think, at some point, right or wrong, or somewhere in between, some of us get tired of other's "Commandments". For example, I have come to accept that if I go the GC on Saturday, I will hear a variety of folks showcasing their playing. If its ok with GC, I think its ok with me.

as for conversations coming first, maybe in a bar and restaurant, but not in a concert hall, open mic or otherwise.

I agree play in tune, always. even on mando.

As for the farm, I disagree, I like my pants flapping from my Marshall dimed (not at night), and my neighbors cannot hear it unless they are very close to the house.

lenf12
Mar-01-2015, 10:37am
As for the farm, I disagree, I like my pants flapping from my Marshall dimed....

I'm with you on this one Steve except I don't have a Marshall but, if I did, it would go to 12 ;)

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

jaycat
Mar-01-2015, 10:38am
. . . For anyone who's ever been to an open mic/stage, like it or not, more often than not, it about playing your 3-5 tunes and leaving-that's why theres a lottery for play order, if you're first, you have choice as to if you want to hear the guy with the autoharp who yodels. . . .

Hey, you should've stuck around. I did Blue Yodel No. 1, Blue Yodel No. 2, Blue Yodel No. 3, and Yodeling Yippie. And I didn't hit a single clam on the autoharp!

rubydubyr
Mar-01-2015, 10:44am
So, so very true Violingirl!

allenhopkins
Mar-01-2015, 10:45am
David Diamond did a funny parody, It's Not What I'd Sing When I'm Sober, representing a somewhat inebriated and incompetent "floor singer" at a British pub. A couple lines seem apropos of the last few posts:

"I'm ready to sing, now I've had one or two,
So you swine in the back needn't head for the loo;
You can put up with me, as I've put up with you..."

Those open-mic-ers who've drawn the later slots, have sat through your set, presumably politely, applauding regardless of their private opinions of your prowess. There's nothing more forlorn than the last act of the evening, playing for the servers, the open mic host, and a bunch of empty tables. Won't kill ya to stay another hour and give back to them what they've given you.

rubydubyr
Mar-01-2015, 10:45am
Cool. Lemme know when your next show is so I can bring my mando and play over you the whole time. 'Cause that's my thing, man. :grin:

:)) LOVE it!

DHopkins
Mar-01-2015, 11:12am
, not showcasing your ' shred.' for the benefit of earth people, what on earth in this context is a shred ?

Dave H

What he said.

Jim
Mar-01-2015, 12:40pm
Hang around and listen to those other acts. Sure it's polite, but you actually might hear something you like. Nice way to meet some like minded people and get invited to some other musical situations. Having been involved with a few Open mic and Music showcase situations we found that there were people who had a following. We tried to spread them out through the night so listeners and players had a reason to come early and stay late ( buy more drinks/food ect) and generally support the event.

Dancing Seahorse
Mar-01-2015, 1:45pm
It all boils down to: Be considerate of others and respect other people's property.

JeffD
Mar-01-2015, 1:57pm
It all boils down to: Be considerate of others.

or expect their ire, as much as you would give if they were inconsiderate of you..

JeffD
Mar-01-2015, 2:10pm
For anyone who's ever been to an open mic/stage, like it or not, more often than not, it about playing your 3-5 tunes and leaving-that's why theres a lottery for play order, if you're first, you have choice as to if you want to hear the guy with the autoharp who yodels.

But it doesn't have to be that way. There are ways to encourage people to stay. The most successful I have seen is an open mic segment sandwiched between two regular sets. It was a regular monthly three set show, with the middle set being the open mic, which took sign ups before the first set, and limited it to two tunes or songs each, up to a half an hour or a little more of music.

If you left, you would miss the third set, which was the second set of the named performer you came to hear.

A variation on this I had some success at a different coffeehouse was when we had a local hero with a big following. I organized with her that she would show up early to do our open mic, but do it last. She would always, agree, because she was an excellent sport. Everyone wanted to hear her sing, so there was always a respectable audience for the entire open mic.

The point is that yes there are always going to be selfish insensitive inconsiderate people, but there are creative things the venue can do to make it a better experience for everyone. Short of locking the doors.

JeffD
Mar-01-2015, 2:17pm
We don't need no stink'in guitar (and mandolin etiquette) Feel free to go where the spirit leads, there are no laws in this vast and wondrous land.

Hudmister I don't mean you, of course.

But with a little re-branding, I think these, and other "etiquette rules" could be acceptable to even the most libertarian of us. Instead of looking at them as laws or rules, look at them as a list of the first things to consider when it seems everyone hates you. Which, in the land of no rules they have every right to do.

Petrus
Mar-01-2015, 4:40pm

It's the guitar version of the long mando break in BG. Here's Steve Vai "shredding" for about eight minutes (w/about 1 minute of lyrics, iirc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k

Dave Hanson
Mar-02-2015, 4:10am
2 countries separated by a common language.

Dave H

Ky Slim
Mar-02-2015, 10:48am
3. If it’s not your gear, put the settings (and the items) back where they were.
4. Play in tune.

If you tune an instrument that does not belong to you it is OK to leave it in tune.

Jeff Mando
Mar-02-2015, 11:17am
Let's face it, music is a gear-burdened hobby. Unless you are a singer, but I know some singers who collect special microphones, so.....

Goes with the territory, like golf clubs, antique cars, etc.

SGraham
Mar-02-2015, 1:15pm
That and laziness are why you don't see a list of my instruments in my posts. ;-)

I used to have all the critters in my stable listed below my signature, as many here do, until it was pointed out to me that the list might serve as an enticement to thieves. I had a 1942 Martin OM, as well as an Ibanez dreadnaught I bought in high school almost 40 years ago, not to mention my MidMo M1 and a dulcimer all stolen from my house while I was at work. I'm not sure that list helped any bad guys, but after the theft, I stopped listing my instruments.

Bertram Henze
Mar-02-2015, 1:29pm
If you tune an instrument that does not belong to you it is OK to leave it in tune.

If you change the tuning of an instrument that belongs to me it is OK for me to kill you...

allenhopkins
Mar-02-2015, 3:11pm
Sam comes to a lot of our folk club sing-arounds; he usually brings a violin, and when it's his turn to sing, he asks to borrow a guitar (plenty to choose from). He invariably retunes it, for better or worse.

One night he asked to borrow mine, and I said, "Sure, if you don't retune it." He then asked someone else. My instrument may or may not have been perfectly in tune, but I was playing it "as is," and would have appreciated it being left that way.

Now Sam sometimes asks his current guitar borrow-ee, "OK if I retune it?" And he never asks to borrow mine. If he did, I'd say "No."

Timbofood
Mar-02-2015, 3:23pm
I have the same issue with my guitar player, he insists on retuning my mandolin and gets things so fouled up I have a fifteen minute project getting things back to where they belong! I love the guy like a brother but, I do not let him touch tuning.....ever.

Jack Roberts
Mar-02-2015, 4:31pm
Sam comes to a lot of our folk club sing-arounds; he usually brings a violin, and when it's his turn to sing, he asks to borrow a guitar (plenty to choose from). He invariably retunes it, for better or worse.

One night he asked to borrow mine, and I said, "Sure, if you don't retune it." He then asked someone else. My instrument may or may not have been perfectly in tune, but I was playing it "as is," and would have appreciated it being left that way.

Now Sam sometimes asks his current guitar borrow-ee, "OK if I retune it?" And he never asks to borrow mine. If he did, I'd say "No."

I thought I was the only one with this problem. My guitarist likes to borrow my mandolin and re-tune it. He is a great musician, but he's one of those guys who is always twisting knobs for some reason. I think it's just his way of burning off nervous energy, but he also seems to break a lot more strings than the rest of us.

tmsweeney
Mar-02-2015, 5:07pm
I guess I don't get #2, If I'm playing for free but you came to see me play, I should play quietly so as not to disturb your conversations?
If you go to an open mic or a jam or even a bar or restaurant with no door fee, expecting to not have music interrupt your conversations, then why did you go if you knew people would be expecting to play music ?
The rest is all just common consideration, some folks have it without having to explain it to them, others you could write it on the inside of their eyelids and it would still evade them.
I also don't feel the need to wear every instrument I own or piece of gear like a badge. No reason to hide it, but no reason to flaunt it either, great for gear head discussions, but most non musicians and a lot of musicians simply don't care about it.
It can be scary but you are going to get all kinds of people who are "musicians" and a lot of those are going to be very individualistic, to expect them to all behave like a little house on the prairie school teacher is unrealistic. Keep your head, respect others, and watch out for trouble when you see it coming.

journeybear
Mar-02-2015, 8:46pm
"Don't hide your gear purchases" -- but don't brag on them either.

Ha! Pretty much in the same boat. Nothing on my list is going to set many MAS sufferers' hearts a-twitter. As Allen also pointed out, and as the harem girl told King Farouk, "It isn't what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts." I'm happy with my plain A, and she gives me what I want from her, most of the time - if I'm having a good night, and/or paying atentiont. I'm also reminded of that scene in "Hoosiers" when the team makes it to the big game and the coach (Gene Hackman) shows the boys the court measures the same as their home court. Mandolins have eight strings and twenty-some frets, and while they may sound different, they play the same (more or less).

As to "showcasing your shred" and #2 - This looks like it came from a store ("Tips for the Store"), and there was certainly some input from clerks who were tired of people coming in, cranking up the amps, and blasting away, more to feed their egos than actually testing gear with an eye toward buying. This can make it hard for others in the store to carry on conversations. My old store had a mostly soundproofed room for people who wanted to crank it to 11 to do so without bothering too many other people. I think they still would have been happier if that led to sales, though ... ;)

nytes
Mar-03-2015, 2:04am
What about banjos? I'll bet you never thought about that did you?
That was addressed in rule number 7 :grin:

zedmando
Mar-03-2015, 6:02am
1. Stores are for checking out gear, not showcasing your shred.

Yes, please!

When I bought my Mandobird I tired it unplugged first, but when I plugged it in, I didn't turn it up that loud.
As I said to the salesman--I don't think people need to know I don't play mandolin...

(okay I do now--at least I'm learning.)

Mandobart
Mar-03-2015, 1:01pm
More oriented to open mics, but here is a similar thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?113197-Open-Mics) I started a month ago.