PDA

View Full Version : Beginner to Mandolin

Ethan
Feb-27-2015, 11:36pm
Hello, I'm getting a mandolin and just wondering what brand I should start out
with?

Michael Bridges
Feb-28-2015, 7:56am
Ethan, Welcome to the insanity that is mandolin! Lots of things to consider when looking for an instrument. What type of music do you think you'll be playing? If going for a traditional "Bluegrass" type sound, look more for an arch-top, f hole mando, either A or F style. Hint: you'll be able to get more mando for the money with an A. All the scrolls and swirleys add a lot to the cost, virtually nothing to the tone. More interested in celtic/gaelic/trad. irish type stuff, look into an oval-hole. I'm speaking in generalities here, of course you can play whatever you prefer on any style. Also, do yo have a set budget for starting out? This can narrow down your selections quite a bit. I started with a Rogue A-style I got on Ebay for $30. This convinced me I really wanted to play, and was quickly replaced. In the A-style, F-hole range, The Kentucky KM 150 is considered by lots of folks here to be a GREAT mando to start with. All solid wood, hand carved, and it really sounds good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1tFwAYVj5Y If ya by from one of the Cafe sponsors like Folkmsician.com or Elderly, they go for arond $300. Also, yo'll be assured of a good setp, which is critical.For an oval-hole, lots of people speak very highly of the Mid Missouri/Big Muddy instruments. A bit higher priced, tho they show in the Cafe Classifieds from time to time at around that price. Sorry for the long ramble, but this is an involved question! Hope I helped some, and Good Luck!

Pick&Grin
Mar-05-2015, 5:59pm
Yes, welcome, Ethan! You're in for a lot of fun! As to your question, I've got nothing to add to Michael's solid answer.