PDA

View Full Version : Will Kimble "Trident" Mandolin

Glassweb
Feb-26-2015, 2:34pm
Well, I haven't shown this to the many folks but I'd like to introduce y'all to The Trident by builder Will Kimble. Now I should say that Will never named this mandolin, but I call it The Trident because its of inlays and three-tiered headstock and pick-guard motif... a nod to Poseidon and his trident. In any case it's probably the most beautiful mandolin I've ever owned and has a most amazing sound as well... unlike anything else I've ever played. Hats off to Will for creating such an extraordinary mandolin.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Feb-26-2015, 2:39pm
His two points are fantastic. Had a friend's (Barry) last weekend to play and it really sang. Playability, tone, volume... check, check, check...

Atlanta Mando Mike
Feb-26-2015, 2:40pm
And that one is stunning. Love the color. Congrats

barry
Feb-26-2015, 2:49pm
Truly a striking instrument! Will's 2-Points are exquisite. I think, acoustically, they possess the best attributes of both an "A" and and "F". Aesthetically, most pleasing to the eye. Love the Super 400 'ish vibe.

b

BradKlein
Feb-26-2015, 3:23pm
I've been very impressed with Will's work. And enjoyed meeting him too!

Here's Andy Statman playing his new Kimble F-model, recently - recording with the great Michael Cleveland. I think it's his third Kimble, but that's Andy, perpetually searching…

sgarrity
Feb-26-2015, 3:23pm
Beautiful!! I've yet to play one of his two points. Statman sure got some excellent tone out of his! Looks like Brad and I were posting at the same time.

Glassweb
Feb-26-2015, 3:27pm
Here's a couple more shots... this mandolin is bound with faux tortoise binding with a unique black-white-black on the forward side... almost Italian in its exoticism...

JEStanek
Feb-26-2015, 3:32pm
Very deco very classy.

Jamie

LongBlackVeil
Feb-26-2015, 3:38pm
nice, i think those are the best looking mandolins made right now.

Mark Christensen
Feb-26-2015, 4:18pm
Wow, simply stunning. Any shots of the back? Thanks for posting pics of this Mandolin.

Glassweb
Feb-26-2015, 4:24pm
here you go Mark...

Mark Seale
Feb-26-2015, 4:43pm
Will knocked it out of the park on that one. As he usually does...

almeriastrings
Feb-26-2015, 4:58pm
Top class. Those block inlays are very similar to those on the old (original) Guild D-55 guitars - I always did find those very tasty looking. The finger-guard inlay is a perfect complement. The whole thing is beautifully balanced!

Glassweb
Feb-26-2015, 5:07pm
Here's the backside of my other Kimble 2-point...

Michael Bridges
Feb-26-2015, 5:51pm
I played Barry's Kimble a couple of years ago at Marty Jacobson's shop, and was knocked-ot. He really makes exceptional mandolins. That 2 point is really an amazing instrument, just beautiful in every way! I'd love to hear any clips ya might have of her. The fact that you have 2 (2???) Kimble 2 points makes you a god amongst men!

dusty miller
Feb-26-2015, 6:22pm
Love the two point mandolins. That's really nice!

Ken Waltham
Feb-26-2015, 6:59pm
So art deco... looks like it should be in the Chrysler Building! Very nice Steve.

LongBlackVeil
Feb-26-2015, 7:38pm
Here's the backside of my other Kimble 2-point...

Your OTHER Kimble two point! You dawg you! ;)

Glassweb
Feb-26-2015, 8:20pm
well, ya gotta have a backup right?

Richard J
Feb-26-2015, 10:45pm
That is great. A Kimble 2 point is actually what I want now then anything in the world. 2 points are my favorite mandolin type and Kimble is my grandmothers maiden name.

Glassweb
Feb-26-2015, 11:57pm
i've been playing mandolin for many years now and have owned many great mandolins including several Lloyd Loar F5s, Ferns, Gils etc... all of 'em. have played them all.

i can honestly say that, at least for me, Kimble mandolins and mandolas are the best there are. yep.

as my buddy Bob Becker sez "i said it and i'll stand by it!"

sgrexa
Feb-27-2015, 2:19pm
Didn't Jim Nikora have a Kimble or Dude that was nearly identical to this mandolin? I miss my two point. Sold it to the Dawg a few years ago. This one looks exceptional, congrats!

Sean

Mark Wilson
Feb-27-2015, 2:58pm
Top class. Those block inlays are very similar to those on the old (original) Guild D-55 guitars - I always did find those very tasty looking. The finger-guard inlay is a perfect complement. The whole thing is beautifully balanced!Agreed. I love the block inlay. Typically, how does block inlay hold up to play wear?

hank
Feb-27-2015, 3:14pm
Glassweb did you help with any of the trim choices? You both have an artist good taste but some of that looks like you might have done it in glass. Eloquence that almost implies the scroll of Lyon and Healy's headstock only better. Great creative alchemy!!

lflngpicker
Feb-27-2015, 3:29pm
Thanks for sharing your beautiful mandolin! Nice!!

GKWilson
Feb-27-2015, 3:45pm
Just beautiful Glass. Is your other one a mandola?
Will's two points are the mandolins that haunt my MAS in the middle of the night.
But I don't NEED one. Really I don't. No really.
So if you decide to sell one please don't tell me. PLEASE.
Heading out to Wintergrass. Maybe I'll see you there.
Gary

Glassweb
Feb-28-2015, 1:26am
Glassweb did you help with any of the trim choices? You both have an artist good taste but some of that looks like you might have done it in glass. Eloquence that almost implies the scroll of Lyon and Healy's headstock only better. Great creative alchemy!!

No, this was all between Will and the original owner. To GKWilson in post #26 I do own a Kimble H5 mandola. I was at Wintergrass today but only for a couple of hours!

Glassweb
Feb-28-2015, 1:30am
Agreed. I love the block inlay. Typically, how does block inlay hold up to play wear?

I think block inlays hold up fine assuming they were properly made and installed.

OldGus
Mar-02-2015, 12:25pm
They're awesome but I still think I like Richters' octave the best...

Reinhardt
Jul-18-2018, 3:49am
Just love that Trident Kimble!!!! As a matter of interest, is it more expensive than Will's "Standard" 2 point?? Seems to be much more ornate. Beautiful instrument.

John

MissingString
Jul-19-2018, 10:25pm
That is gorgeous. Love my Kimble A an awful lot and have been losing sleep over a 2-point Kimble mandola at TME.

Billydog
Jun-15-2019, 2:35pm
I have just bought this beautiful mandolin here in Dublin Ireland. Took delivery today. It's incredible to see it here. It's definitely the same mandolin with identical grain in the wood on the back. If anyone has any more history regarding the mandolin I would love to hear about it. Also is this an unique instrument or did Will Kimble make any others the same.

Elliot Luber
Jun-16-2019, 1:53pm
Maybe a little nod to John Monteleone there. Will does nice work. Andy Statman once let me play his. Very tight workmanship and even tone as one might expect.

Mandobar
Jun-16-2019, 4:02pm
Rumor has it that Will built an F5 (actually several for Michael to select from) for Michael Cleveland. One of the ones not selected by Michael ended up at the Music Emporium, and had the trident inlays on the pick guard and the headstock. Great sounding mandolin, with a radiused fretboard and a really vibrant voice. It sold before it hit the website.

JAK
Jun-16-2019, 7:22pm
K = Kimble. K = "Keeper"

Al Trujillo
Jun-17-2019, 8:56am
The art deco work moves the needle on that incredibly beautifull instrument into the exceptional category!!

Grommet
Jun-17-2019, 12:29pm
It reminds me of the blond Kimble I played at Carters in 2016, 2 point with block inlay. That one was tonally superb, and stood right up there with a Heiden A that also sounded great. The Kimble had that silky smooth feel while playing. Maybe due to a bound neck? Dang near played itself.

Scott

Will Kimble
Jun-17-2019, 4:09pm
Thanks for the kind words everybody, just wanted to clarify a couple points - I made a batch of F5s for Nathan Livers to choose from. Nathan plays mandolin in Michael Cleveland's band Flamekeeper. We made a deal on one of the mandolins and you can see him playing it live with Michael. Michael did come to the shop with Nathan to help pick one of the mandolins, and it was amazing to hear them play together and interesting for me to see how they evaluated the different mandolins. Second, the inlays on those mandolins were unique and while similar in concept to this mandolin they had a different shape and were engraved. Come to think of it, the pick guard inlays WERE the same shape - but they were still engraved for the first time. Best wishes!

Will Kimble
www.kimblemandolins.com

Bill McCall
Jun-17-2019, 8:04pm
Can you share their process? Guys here by many mandolins��

Saw those fellows at the Wenatchee River festival over the weekend. They tore it up on their twin mando tunes.

Billydog
Jun-19-2019, 10:09am
As mentioned I bought this mandolin recently . I want to put it on my insurance policy. I would appreciate any views on what replacement value I should insure it for. Does the inlay etc make it more or less valuable than a plainer Kimble two point? Thanks.

BradKlein
Jun-20-2019, 12:32am
Again, you can just ask the maker for the replacement cost. He is the only one who knows that.