PDA

View Full Version : Snakehead with no 'The'?

StevieBGoode
Feb-26-2015, 1:42pm
Found this current eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-early-1900s-GIBSON-Lloyd-Loar-Era-A-1-Snakehead-Mandolin-w-case-751104-/301541112336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4635403a10

My understanding is that "The" was used until about 1929, which would be after the snakehead period. Can this possibly be authentic?

Thanks!

-- Steve

LongBlackVeil
Feb-26-2015, 1:53pm
never say never with gibson, but thats certainly not "early 1900s". ive never seen that cursive logo on anything until the 30s, maybe late 20s at the earliest, though i havent seen. Theres always going to be overlap in these vintage instruments where they need to finish using all the parts they had. Could be a snakehead was left over during the time that the logo was changed. OR it could simply be a non original logo, thats not uncommon

Tobin
Feb-26-2015, 2:00pm
When I look at the mandolin archive site for other snakeheads with serial numbers in this range, I don't see a Gibson logo on the headstock at all. So my guess would be this logo was added later, either during a factory refurb or just by an enthusiastic owner.

mrmando
Feb-26-2015, 2:10pm
It's an early '30s logo. But remember, serial number indicates ship date, so with an SN of 75xxx, this instrument left the factory sometime in 1924. It was not held back until the '30s. It's possible that it started out with a plain headstock and the logo was added during some factory repair in the '30s. I'd be interested to know what kind of repair that was.

Photos aren't the worst I've seen, but they're pretty bad. Looks like the busted E string, or another string, is somehow wrapped around the back of the instrument in a couple of the shots. The claim about it belonging to some famous but unnamed musician, and being set up for recording sessions, strikes me as the sort of claim that only impairs the seller's credibility. This mandolin obviously isn't set up and hasn't been for a long time; neither is it "all original," given that it has a later logo and a missing pickguard bracket. Claiming celebrity ownership and refusing to name the celebrity always strikes me as stupid and counterproductive, since sometimes that celebrity's name can add a few bucks to the price (as long as you don't go the Duane Eddy route). In this case, although I still think withholding the name is stupid, it probably doesn't do any harm, since whoever he is, he didn't get famous playing this mandolin.

fatt-dad
Feb-26-2015, 3:37pm
it does have worm over tuners, so it's late in the Loar period, or so it would seem. The logo look like my 1930 L-1 Gibson guitar. It's really more mid '30s.

f-d

sgarrity
Feb-26-2015, 3:57pm
The logo was obviously added later. That doesn't hurt the value IMHO. However, it's a solid $1,000 overpriced.

Teak
Feb-26-2015, 6:09pm
When you can buy a brand new A oval for $2500-2600 from several small shop luthiers, why would a musician (not collector) pay for an old Gibson in that kind of shape for that kind of price?

LongBlackVeil
Feb-26-2015, 6:27pm
When you can buy a brand new A oval for $2500-2600 from several small shop luthiers, why would a musician (not collector) pay for an old Gibson in that kind of shape for that kind of price?

Well while this one certainly isn't worth that. I do think some of the Gibson ovals ARE worth that price to me. Those old gibsons have a sound that really can't be duplicated by new builders because of a combo of age, material, and construction. Many builders can get close but no matter what they can't replicate what a hundred plus or minus years does to the sound. Those new builders are great but the old gibsons and other good mandolins of that era are something else

pheffernan
Feb-26-2015, 7:49pm

Can't I have both? :))

fatt-dad
Feb-26-2015, 9:03pm
my game plan includes both an old paddle head and a new snake. Now I just have to figure out how to get Wayne Henderson to build it!

f-d

Russ Donahue
Feb-26-2015, 10:21pm

Of Course!
1984 Flatiron 1N
1924 Gibson A Snakehead
2005 Collings MT
2013 Pava
2005 National RM-1
2007 Hester A5
2009 Passernig A5
2013 Silverangel A
2009 Stanley A5

barney 59
Feb-26-2015, 10:33pm
my game plan includes both an old paddle head and a new snake. Now I just have to figure out how to get Wayne Henderson to build it!

f-d

Wayne will build it --he'll put you on his endless list--then he'll build what he wants 'cause he wants to not paying any attention to the actual order of the list. So,you A) get him to really like you or B) Give him a really interesting project or both is best and you may be able to jump line.

pheffernan
Feb-27-2015, 6:00am
Of Course!
1984 Flatiron 1N
1924 Gibson A Snakehead
2005 Collings MT
2013 Pava
2005 National RM-1
2007 Hester A5
2009 Passernig A5
2013 Silverangel A
2009 Stanley A5

You'll notice there's no modern oval in there, Russ . . . yet! ;)

pfox14
Feb-27-2015, 6:59am
It seems very odd to me that a 30s-era silk-screened logo would be added to this mando, unless it had a lot of work done at the factory in the 30s. Why just add a new logo without doing a lot of other work? Doesn't make sense to me.

Teak
Feb-27-2015, 8:31am

Sure, for $5,200! :mandosmiley:

Or, you could get ONE really nice mandolin for $5,200.

Mark Wilson
Feb-27-2015, 9:55am
Why just add a new logo without doing a lot of other work? Doesn't make sense to me.
Vanity? Owner admires the logo and his doesn't have one. Probably added long before the mandolin was considered vintage

Russ Donahue
Feb-27-2015, 1:04pm
You'll notice there's no modern oval in there, Russ . . . yet! ;)

Good to have goals! Mine is matching your impressive array...good hunting.

pheffernan
Feb-27-2015, 2:59pm
Sure, for $5,200! :mandosmiley:

Or, you could get ONE really nice mandolin for $5,200.

Shoot, I could get SEVERAL really nice mandolins for $2,600! :grin:

Good to have goals! Mine is matching your impressive array...good hunting.

I have a blacktop Gibson, Russ, but I'm working on a blacktop Black. ;)

Ray(T)
Feb-28-2015, 8:28am
it does have worm over tuners, so it's late in the Loar period, or so it would seem. The logo look like my 1930 L-1 Gibson guitar. It's really more mid '30s.

f-d

Look more like "worm under" to me.

Specs seem to have been all over the place during this period so my guess would be circa. 1923/4 with an added logo. I have a snakehead with a FON from '23, a serial number from '24, a silk screened logo and '25 style (worm over) tuners. Apart from the logo/tuners it sure looks like this one!

Londy
Feb-28-2015, 9:53am
I'm no expert but, guys the headstock logo is just wrong on many levels.

fatt-dad
Feb-28-2015, 10:46am
Look more like "worm under" to me.

you are correct sir! My bad. . .

f-d