PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Stand to Hold Both Mandolin & Guitar

educatedguess417
Feb-26-2015, 1:11am
Howdy. I'm looking for a stand that will hold at the same time both a dreadnought guitar and a mandolin. Preferably, I want something small and portable (and most likely foldable), to fit inside a backpack. I go to a lot of acoustic jams where I bring two or three instruments, and I'm running out of hands.

I just ordered a Cooperstand mini unit for a single guitar, and I believe they also make a mini double.

Anything else out there I might want to take a look at?

Thank You,
Educated Guess

Markus
Feb-26-2015, 6:52am
Personally, at a jam I would go with stable vs small as accidents do happen.

A friend brings his Hercules double to the jam. Its not small but its nice and stable and being elevated off the floor people see it and dont trip over it.

Thats not the answer you asked, but having seen instruments damaged at jams I go with safe vs. sorry.

Dan Co1e
Feb-26-2015, 10:08am
A friend brings his Hercules double to the jam. Its not small but its nice and stable and being elevated off the floor people see it and dont trip over it..

+1 on the Hercules. I use a double as well. I converted it into a quad by adding two Uke/Mando hangers (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/anuenue-orcas-ukulele-mandolin-clip-hanger).

keithb
Feb-26-2015, 10:35am
I use a Hercules triple stand - it won't fit in a backpack, but it's rock solid.

spufman
Feb-26-2015, 10:40am
I have a Hercules triple which is great, but large and heavy. Two Ultimate GS100 stands, one cut down 4.5" for mando, would be smaller, lighter and imo more stable.

foldedpath
Feb-26-2015, 10:56am
For gigs, I use a String Swing clamp-on holder (similar to the hanger Dan mentioned) on a Hercules auto-clamping guitar stand, also going for size and stability there. But I have used smaller stands at jams and Irish sessions, like the Hercules violin stand (http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS571BB-Travlite-Violin-VIOLA/dp/B00126HUFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424965563&sr=8-1&keywords=hercules+violin+stand). This stand folds up and it's very lightweight. That's probably your best bet, if you need something for a backpack along with that Cooper mini guitar stand.

With any small violin/mando stand like that, you have to be very careful at jams because they're so close to the floor. People may not notice them as they're walking around, which doesn't happen with a full-size guitar stand and a clamp-on holder for the mandolin off to the side. On the other hand, all your eggs are in one basket with the latter approach. If the stand goes over, both instruments are damaged. So it's a trade-off, and you have to know the risks of the local environment.

educatedguess417
Feb-26-2015, 11:31am
+1 on the Hercules. I use a double as well. I converted it into a quad by adding two Uke/Mando hangers (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/anuenue-orcas-ukulele-mandolin-clip-hanger).

Dan, thanks SO MUCH for the link to the mando hangers. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I have seen these before, but no one I know has one or has heard of them, so I didn't even know how to do an Internet search for them. This appears to be the PERFECT solution for what I need. I will definitely order one and test it.

If I may ask, Dan, which Hercules model do you use, or which one would be the lightest to carry and/or perhaps fold down enough to fit in a large backpack (okay if it doesn't, not a deal-breaker, but curious if they one like that). If you could send me a link to a specific model, I'd be much obliged and grateful.

Thanks again, Dan! That add-on mando clip is exactly what I've been looking for, but didn't even know they existed out there (thought maybe someone made their own).

EG

educatedguess417
Feb-26-2015, 11:49am
Personally, at a jam I would go with stable vs small as accidents do happen.

A friend brings his Hercules double to the jam. Its not small but its nice and stable and being elevated off the floor people see it and dont trip over it.

Thats not the answer you asked, but having seen instruments damaged at jams I go with safe vs. sorry.

Markus, that's cool. Actually, now that Dan showed me that add-on mando clip, I can see the logic of a floor stand. Luckily, most of our jams are in larger rooms with space behind most chairs for a stand near the wall, so we rarely have accidents, plus ours tend to be no-alcohol affairs.

Could you add the little mando clip to a Hercules double and still have room for all three instruments. I typically bring a dreadnought, a classical, and a mandolin.

Thanks, Markus,
EG

educatedguess417
Feb-26-2015, 11:52am

I already responded, but now I actually read your full post (!). So, to reiterate, it would be no problem to add a mando hanger to a double Hercules, making it a "triple," and there would be room for two full-sized guitars plus a mandolin, correct?

educatedguess417
Feb-26-2015, 11:53am
I have a Hercules triple which is great, but large and heavy. Two Ultimate GS100 stands, one cut down 4.5" for mando, would be smaller, lighter and imo more stable.

Spuf, thanks, will look at this as well.

EG

educatedguess417
Feb-26-2015, 11:58am
For gigs, I use a String Swing clamp-on holder (similar to the hanger Dan mentioned) on a Hercules auto-clamping guitar stand, also going for size and stability there. But I have used smaller stands at jams and Irish sessions, like the Hercules violin stand (http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DS571BB-Travlite-Violin-VIOLA/dp/B00126HUFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424965563&sr=8-1&keywords=hercules+violin+stand). This stand folds up and it's very lightweight. That's probably your best bet, if you need something for a backpack along with that Cooper mini guitar stand.

With any small violin/mando stand like that, you have to be very careful at jams because they're so close to the floor. People may not notice them as they're walking around, which doesn't happen with a full-size guitar stand and a clamp-on holder for the mandolin off to the side. On the other hand, all your eggs are in one basket with the latter approach. If the stand goes over, both instruments are damaged. So it's a trade-off, and you have to know the risks of the local environment.

All good ideas, Folded, thanks. Luckily, except for one cramped jam, ours are pretty spacious, but these are nonetheless great options to consider.

EG

educatedguess417
Mar-01-2015, 3:30pm
Folks, wanted to thank everyone for responding. I received my Cooperstands mini yesterday and it's gorgeous and surprisingly stable due to the fold-out legs that come out the back. It's definitely a keeper, so for now this is the way I'll roll. If you haven't seen these, they are really nifty. It's quite compact and folds neatly into a small package that fits perfectly into my backpack. It even comes with it owns felt carrying bag with a drawstring!

They also make a double (tandem), but somehow it looks less stable. Has anyone used one? For some reason it doesn't have the fold-out legs on the rear. Why would you do that when you're holding even more weight? Puzzling. Maybe someone can answer this. I realize the increased footprint makes it more stable in theory, but the guitars DO lean back, not forward.

I may very well get the Hercules rig down the road too, although my jams are not crowded or in large rooms. There's usually ample room to put your guitar stand BEHIND your chair, and I've yet to see any instruments get trampled.

Thank You !
EG

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-01-2015, 4:22pm
The cooper pro tandem stand is perfect. It's what I use. It folds up to easily fit in a backpack and it looks great too. http://www.cooperstand.com/buyprotandem.html

Atlanta Mando Mike
Mar-01-2015, 4:26pm
Here is how it looks.131221

FLATROCK HILL
Mar-01-2015, 5:18pm
Here is how it looks.131221

Amazing!

educatedguess417
Mar-01-2015, 5:22pm
The cooper pro tandem stand is perfect. It's what I use. It folds up to easily fit in a backpack and it looks great too. http://www.cooperstand.com/buyprotandem.html

Mike, thanks, it IS perfect. Gonna order one right away.

Folks: For those of you who've never seen these stands, they are gorgeous with stunning fit and finish. I always wondered why they were so expensive, but as soon as I held one in my hands I understood. I'm happy to pay the price for something so beautiful.

Thanks Again, Mike,
EG

educatedguess417
Mar-01-2015, 5:24pm
Mike:

And thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Looks very cool and chic.

Educated Guess