PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F-12

AeroJoe
Apr-08-2005, 2:19am
I picked up a NICE find today, a Gibson F-12, made sometime in the '50's.

Darryl, somebody...the mandolin has the orange label with the letter A, then the 5-digit number on the label. Inside the treble side F-hole, there is stamped in ink H ( or either 11...the ink runs together) 9689 3

Any clue as to what the extra number is/means?

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

AlanN
Apr-08-2005, 6:38am
Hi Joe,

Not sure about the xtra numbers. I had a '49 '12' for a while, had the fingerboard glued directly to the top, sound was somewhat thin. Is yours a raised board?

f5joe
Apr-08-2005, 8:38am
Based on my current knowledge, the A-labelled, 50's - 60's F-12's should have similar FON's (Factory Order Numbers) to yours proceeded with a letter. For example, 1952 has a "Z" counting backwards alphabetically to 1961 which has a "Q". No "H" designations during this time frame. However, 1957 has a "U" designation.

Perhaps yours is a "U" instead of an "H"?

I hope I haven't added confusion.

AeroJoe
Apr-08-2005, 10:01pm
Yeah, mine is a raised board. It has the "A" preceeding the 5 digit number on the Orange label, looking thru the G/D f-hole. The other numbers are inked to inside of the back, visible thru the A/E f-hole.

Hope someone can find out some more as to what the extra numbers are mean/for...

One thing for sure...I won't *ever* turn my nose up at a '50's f-style mandolin again...

batman
Apr-09-2005, 9:33pm
right on Joe, I thought that 12 cut through the noise right good tonight. wish we could of got in a little smaller group and did the fiddle tune thing again. later Don

AeroJoe
Apr-10-2005, 1:10pm
Don, thanks for the kind words, yeah that jam we had last month was great...

f5Joe...you did not add to the confusion, you helped...that IS a "U" in there...the way it was stamped, the ink ran together slightly. I checked the A-40 at 12th Fret, the FON is the same way and very close to mine in numurals...

Well, with Gibson's sometimes confusing serial number designations over the years, at least with mandolins from this era, you've got 2 shots at pinning down a date...one by using the numbers on the orange (or white) label, and one by the FON. If the instrument has both, that is.

Ken Berner
Apr-22-2005, 9:59am
AeroJoe, I see a Gibson A-12 offered for sale on e-bay, but the dealer is furnishing no information. Like most of us, they probably have very little knowledge of this model. Please keep us updated if you learn any more about the "12s" from Gibson, as from the above posts, it may be a sleeper!

tiltman
Apr-22-2005, 10:19am
NOOOOO!
That A-12 is at a Guitar Center here in Portland.
It's been there for at least 2 1/2 years because it is a really ###### mandolin that is dramatically overpriced by people who don't know what it is.
The neck was reset at some point - horribly - and between that and the fact that the frets are worn down to nothing the thing is barely playable. And the sound that you do get out of it is not good.
My understanding is that an A-12 in good condition should go for about $1200 (not an expert - please chime in) and this one is not in good condition.
Sorry for the long post and strong language I just would hate for anyone to get taken on this deal.
No financial interest...blah, blah, blah....
Kirk

Dan Adams
Apr-22-2005, 5:22pm
The highest priced A-12 recently went as high as $1,598.00. It was probably in perfect condition, but no telling of the tone. $1,200.00 is probably realistic. I've had one since brand new, and it has killer tone and volume. One of the lucky one(s).

No strap holder here, just this ole lump. Dan

f5loar
May-05-2005, 9:04pm
You really need to give us the A numbers too to tell if it's early or late '57 or even early '58. The serial number or the A number is what you go by in figuring how many were made that year which I can tell you that too.
There are other ways to date these. The tuners, are the closed back or open back. The tailpiece style, the truss rod cover postion. What style case came with it?

AeroJoe
May-09-2005, 1:44am
f5loar...s.n. A 26347 (or "9"...hard to read) on the orange label. Closed-back, gold-plated Klusons with the ridges and the little hole in them (for lubrication?) The tailpiece is small, gold-plated, with a small cap-cover, with "Gibson" zig-zag engraved (only way to describe it) on the top cover of it. Held on by 3 screws. I'm not sure what you mean by truss rod cover position, but the center of the bottom phillips-head gold screw is exactly 1/2 inch from the top of the nut. Larger peghead. The case is shaped, not a square kind, has hot-pink fuzz interior, one locking clasp with a button you slide to open it, the case pocket is very small, just for picks I would guess, there's no way you could get a pack of strings in it.

The sound is dumbfounding to say the least...read Batman's reply above, he heard it at a show we attended. I was under the impression by others, that Gibson F-models of this era do not sound all that great, were over-built, heavy braced, so forth... ...compared to my Collings MF5, it did not come away lacking... *That* is *quite* impressive to me... I liked it enough I bought another one, one in a bit better shape (cosmentically) from Music Emporium. The serial number on the orange label on it is A 26555...exactly like the other one except the case it came with is a darker shade of "hot" pink on the inside, it actually had the original key still in the case pocket, and has been refretted. Sounds about the same, a little more bassy since I put Bush strings on it, and a tad louder. A friend of mine told me that '50's Gibsons F-Models are like '50's Martins guitars...somewhat over-built, maybe over laquered, (depending upon the individual instrument), but because of this, they are inherently very structurally stable, still were well-built with decent woods, and have aged well and have come into their own. After playing these, I agree. I can't put 'em down. I tried to sell one of them, along with an F5G on Ebay as to purchase yet another F-12 from Intermountain, they claim one in their inventory as in "mint condition", but they want over 5k for there's and my reserve was not met. Not really a problem, I'm having a ball with these two!!! The only real difference I can tell between the two of them is A 26347 (or 9) has a mahogany neck and A 26555 has a curly maple one with a black skunk stripe down the middle. A 26347 (or 9) is plain, straight maple back and sides, A 26555 has a rather flamey bird's eye maple back...see it on Ebay in Completed Items if you want close-up views of it. The sunburst finish on the two is nearly identical, 26555 being slightly more subtle as the colors blend together.