PDA

View Full Version : My New Mandolin is Here!

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:50am
Well today the wait was over, my new mandolin finally got here. It is an Arrow G-style, some of you may have seen my earlier post about my visit to Paul Lestock. I just can't say enough about this mandolin, it's a great instrument and a work of art as well. It's got a longer scale (14 7/8") and a bit wider neck than normal, like an old Gibson A. It's got an Adirondack spruce top and I'm really looking forwrd to hearing it open up. But it sounds so nice right now, only a couple hours out of the box. It's got a very unusual combination of deep bass, a kind of popping, "drop-of-water" kind of tone, but with good sustain.
Paul has been a real pleasure to deal with (he didn't have it finished in time for Wintergrass, so he loaned me a prototype of his to play there) and I'm just so glad it came out for the best. Here's some pictures, not that great because I'm trapped in my dorm by the rain and the digital camera is my friend's and iffy at best. But here goes...

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:51am
another

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:52am
the back

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:53am
close up of the flame

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:54am
neck

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:56am
headstock, last one for now

jasona
Apr-08-2005, 1:08am
very attractive--I'd love to hear a sound clip

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 1:10am
I'll put one up tomorrow if I get the time.

danb
Apr-08-2005, 4:59am
Nice one Gunning. I like Paul's instruments, very distinctive tone, reminds me of a gibson snakehead from the 20s. Gunning, did I meet you and your father at WG? Not always easy to put cafe handles to human beans http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

250sc
Apr-08-2005, 6:59am
Beutifull instrument. By leaving out the extra work on the scrolls I would think these would take less time to build than the standard F model.

What is the ballpark price?

Bob DeVellis
Apr-08-2005, 9:07am
Very handsome shape. Dan, despite the lack of an oval hole, you consider them sounding like a snakehead? Interesting. Of the "almost an F" designs I've seen, I'd consider this one of the aesthetically more pleasing ones.

Andrew Reckhart
Apr-08-2005, 9:50am
Wow! What a beauty! The lines on it are absolutely exquisite! Congratulations!

mad dawg
Apr-08-2005, 10:54am
Very nice, G! His is one of the more interesting body shapes on the market, and I also like the little point on the fretboard extension.

Patrick Gunning
Apr-08-2005, 12:31pm
Dan, yeah, I'm pretty sure we met there. We jammed a couple times I think, a bit at Neil Dean's booth and then again when I ran into my friend Robin I think. Thanks again for letting me pick on the Loar you had for a bit that second time. As for the tone, I think you're dead on. I've always kind of preferred the tone of my oval-hole gibson to most f-styles, but the thing's so darn quiet in a big jam that you can't be heard. This thing really has the best of the worlds for me - the sort of tubby, ringing sound of a snakehead a with the projection and percussiveness of an F. Very hard to describe.

Thanks all, now to get some homework out of the way so I can go back to the mandolin. It's my birthday this weekend and I couldn't think of a better present.